I just modified my Iscorama 36 for close focus

richg101

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You could still use an achromat, you would just be able to focus closer. I have two tokina 0.4's but my

iscorama is still out performed in close focus by my kowa. It sounds like Rich's mod would give the isco that extra bit of range that it lacks

mod worked without a hitch! Thanks everyone for the perfect instructions!  

Hope these pictures help anyone thinking about doing the mod themselves.

post-21373-0-57190600-1371797036_thumb.j

post-21373-0-17300100-1371797044_thumb.j

Achieving "3.2"ft focus now as well without diopter. Past that the optic feels tight, and furthermore wants to unthread...  strange in someway mine tightens right before wanting to unthread.  weird perk in a way, good indication of when to stop focusing.

I came close to attempting this mod myself, but decided to bite the bullet & send my mint single coated Nikon Isco[30mm] from Aust all the way to Vandieman Films in London to get re housed - I bought a new Pelican case for the journey - but still bloody scary!

...now it's there I'm glad I did it - I'll post upon my baby's return  : )

I beleive the info is on their site, it's 850 pounds and 90 days. What does the vandiemen mod do exactly?

The time/money would not be worth it if it just improves close focus to a similar degree as rich's mod...

I'm gathering funds - and guts - to ship it there too. Can you PM me with some more information about time required for the rehousing, and costs? :)

Well that sounds pretty great. If someone were doing it in the states i'd probably jump on it. Don't think i could bear to be without my isco for 3 months though.

Is there any reason a  follow focus cant be used on a stock isco?

Yeah honestly, just having it rehoused in a metal body alone is worth the price to keep those optics safe, and if you are using this lens in any professional cinema environment (wireless follow focus, a FIZ (focus, iris, zoom) ) this mod is a MUST. no question.  The original lens is fantastic on it's own, but keep in mind this lens was not designed for professional cinema use in 1968 nor was it supposed to work the way we are modifying it to perform.  I am definitely going to have this mod done to my Isco, and for the price, turning gold into platinum never sounded so good.  

Paulio:  I am however going to see if this can be done locally first (Los angeles).  Gonna give Duclos Lenses a call (even though I think they are stuck up and over priced) and start from there.  I'll share my findings with you!! 

As far as the follow focus goes :  The front element of these lenses moves forward and back while focusing (which you've probably seen while using it) so therefore certain follow focus systems will not work with it because of the lack of movement from the gears that drive it.

Re Duclos Mods: I asked Matthew about Iscorama re-housing about a year ago, he said he does't have the time or resources available for development...

@ Rcorrell - totally agree re the value of the metal rehousing for professional use  : )

@ Zmu : Yeah Duclos was a joke.  I just don't understand their attitude when they are supposed to be the go to lens house in LA.  But thats is almost every camera store / rental house in LA. They all suck, except panavision ;)  I would be interested to know what your turn around ends up being on your rehoused lens.  Alan Doyle from redstan informed me that when he had his conversions done by vandiemen they took 6-8 months!! and still are in possession of some of his original optics now.  So please let us know how long it takes to get your Isco back in your hands.

Does anybody have any experience with Slow Motion LA??  I'm aware that they do lens rehousing and modifications but Ive never heard of anyone doing business with them, so just curious.

6 to 8 months is madness. It's also madness that this can't be done in la of all places. I might have to stick with rich's mod.

Are there any follow focus' people have used successfully with the 36?

And are there any good protective measures one can take with the lens? A rubber ring around the lens front and back would absorb the occasional ding....

6 to 8 months is madness. It's also madness that this can't be done in la of all places. I might have to stick with rich's mod.

Are there any follow focus' people have used successfully with the 36?

And are there any good protective measures one can take with the lens? A rubber ring around the lens front and back would absorb the occasional ding....

I used one of Wide Open Camera's thicker zip tie gears and an Edelkrone FocusOne Pro. As as long as I was able to put support underneath and around Redstan's clamp, I was able to pull focus smoothly. But that was not the problem. The problem was the incredibly long focus throw, which made it very difficult to pull off a standard rack focus.

In terms of protecting the Iscorama, I bought a 72mm-85mm conical step ring and used it like a lens hood for a little extra protection.

But ultimately, I was too stressed out to really put such a rare and high-value lens through its paces, so shooting with it wasn't any fun and I sold it.

I just gotta say for me VanDiemen's service has been faultless, a 6 or 8 month turnaround will breach the temporary import conditions of item entry anyway. The worst part was leaving my 1968 Mint S/Coated Isco-wammy at the local Post Office!

to be sent far, far away...

Well it arrived at VanD's safely - one step closer - and The Bowmore's Single Malt did taste extra fine this evening as I pondered over the age old adage "No Risk No Rush"

To Be Cont.      : )

Zmu, I''m sure it will be worth it once you get your lens back!  I need mine for shooting too much at the moment so I'm just going to do Rich's mod, slap single coat UV filter on the front for protection and maybe try to craft some sort of protective rubber casing for the front and rear lips so it could survive a fall. I have a pelican case for transporting it, but im more worried about when it's action!

I might bite the bullet and send it to vandeimen eventually.