General anamorphic questions

elubes

Hi.

New here.  Read Andrew Reid's guide a couple times, been shooting, and doing a lot of research.  I'm not super technical, but had a couple questions.  I really love the look.  Thanks in advance.

1.  For digital, if an anamorphic squeezes a larger amount of area onto the same area a spherical uses, is this a reason why anamorphics are softer?  I would think it takes more light rays to light a larger area, so how can an anamorphic fit this larger area with more light rays onto the same sensor a spherical would fit without losing resolution?

2. Are all anamorphics attached to spherical?  I've never worked with hawks or panavisions before.  They are also part spherical internally?  Is it possible to make an anamorphic that goes straight to the sensor without the spherical taking lens at all?

3. Has Isco's patent run out?  Are companies allowed to replicate their set-the-taking-lens-to-infinity focus mechanism yet?

4. Technically how is an anamorphic flare made?  Just curious about what I'm actually seeing.  The point of the source light is strong enough that all of them hit the anamorphic lens and stretches horizontally over the taking lens's surface before hitting the sensor?

Thanks again.

Erik

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I will bite

1 Not all scopes are soft. If soft, the reasons are due to poor/cheap design or damage/mis-alignment. Schneider scopes can project 65mm at 50metre at F2.

2 Scopes are made to work in front, middle or back of taking lens dependent on design. Scopes are intrinsically negative dioptr devices (like WA adapter) thus need a positive lens to form an image on the sensor

3 This is irrelevant. Anyone can design & make a focussing variable dioptr attachment range 0-2 dioptr. (0 means afocal ). If you make one to fit mine I will buy it from you

4 A spheric lens causes a spot light to focus to a spot, whereas a scope will focus to a line. If the scope has a flat face for rear group it will bounce around internally produces more lines whose colour depends on the coating.