Anamorphic Footage Problem: Motion Judder

QuickHitRecord

I have been dismissing this issue as a symptom of my aging home computer and its occasional inability to play 1080P files smoothly (a replacement is on the way), but now I am starting to think otherwise. Judder (also called "studder" or "stutter") seems to be a known issue with the GH2 ([url="http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion"]http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion[/url]), perhaps moreso than other cameras that shoot 24 frames, and it looks like shooting in anamorphic magnifies the problem. Here's an example of what I am talking about, shot with a GH2 and Iscomorphot 8 2x: 

[url="http://youtu.be/2FBUue1-6Lk"]http://youtu.be/2FBUue1-6Lk[/url]

If you aren't sure what you are looking for, watch the edge of the monitor and note the smoothness of movement (or lack of it) as I pan the camera.

Does anyone have a solution in post?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks like either a setting or rendering problem, if it's not a camera-is-borked problem.  I don't get anything like that, beyond what I'd expect with any 24-frame system doing pans.  Maybe a youtube problem?

edit: are you maybe dropping your clips into a 24fps timeline and not 23.98fps?  Could be a weird interpretation issue maybe?

That looks like either a setting or rendering problem, if it's not a camera-is-borked problem.  I don't get anything like that, beyond what I'd expect with any 24-frame system doing pans.  Maybe a youtube problem?

edit: are you maybe dropping your clips into a 24fps timeline and not 23.98fps?  Could be a weird interpretation issue maybe?

That would have been my first guess as well. But both clips are 23.98 on a 23.98 timeline, and both MOV files (i.e. the original, and the squeeze/cropped) look like this when played in Finder.

This judder effect is always going to be a problem, unless you hit the sweet spot for movement.

Most of us have experienced this at some point & you either have to do slower movements or faster ones.

So moving between objects go a bit faster & then linger on the objects, or simply do slower pans, if not you get this judder effect which normally occurs at the speed you really want to go.

I think its to do with the sensor's ability to reading/recording at particular speeds.

I can normally see it on the screen when i'm recording, or at least once i play it back in-camera.

Is this the only anamorphic lens of yours that produces this effect?

& How's the Iscomorphot 8/2x? Is it to your taste?

This judder effect is always going to be a problem, unless you hit the sweet spot for movement.

Most of us have experienced this at some point & you either have to do slower movements or faster ones.

So moving between objects go a bit faster & then linger on the objects, or simply do slower pans, if not you get this judder effect which normally occurs at the speed you really want to go.

I think its to do with the sensor's ability to reading/recording at particular speeds.

I can normally see it on the screen when i'm recording, or at least once i play it back in-camera.

Is this the only anamorphic lens of yours that produces this effect?

& How's the Iscomorphot 8/2x? Is it to your taste?

I've seen panning judder (or 'strobing' as someone else is calling it on another forum) from my other anamorphic lenses as well but it seems to be worse with the 2x lenses than the 1.5x. That leads me to believe that level of anamorphic stretch is directly related to the severity of the judder.

Truth be told I haven't shot with it much yet. I just got it and put Alan's clamp on it last night. But it's lightweight and doesn't need a lens support, and I can already tell that it has the perfect oval bokeh that I am looking for. It's a keeper for sure.

Think you're right about it being 2x lenses, but i started off with these lenses & just learnt how to deal with/avoid it.

I haven't really thought about it so much since i got a 1.5x lens, but the judder still comes out to play now & then. 

Also, i found it was horizontal panning & not vertical that generated this effect.

Enjoy your perfect ovals!