GH3 onscreen info disappearing after 10 seconds?

AndersM

Hi, 

Does anyone know if its possible to stop the onscreen info from disappearing after 10 seconds? 

This really really annoys me. Why would anyone want vital info like aperture/shutter speed and audio level meters to just disappear in the middle of a take? I don't get it. There's already a dedicated "disp" button to toggle this info on and off. 

The way it is now you have to hit a button or the screen every 10 seconds to see your settings. And if you want to change a setting like iso or WB after the screen went into this "sleep" mode you have to press the button first once to wake the screen up and then one more time to access the setting. Same with touch focus. Once to wake it up, once to move focus point.

Am I missing a setting here? Anyone else annoyed by this? 

If this is how it is suppose to be I seriously have to consider returning mine, because I know this will bug the hell out of me...

Thanks!

AndersM

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ok, I got a response from Panasonic customer support. Here's what they wrote:

"In response, I would like to inform you that apparently, it is impossible to turn this feature off.The display loses info in order to save battery power. Try to press the DISP. button multiple times. If this still happens, it means you cannt, indeed, turn it off. There is no setting to stop the info from disappearring after 10 seconds."

​Too bad...

ok, I got a response from Panasonic customer support. Here's what they wrote:

"In response, I would like to inform you that apparently, it is impossible to turn this feature off.The display loses info in order to save battery power. Try to press the DISP. button multiple times. If this still happens, it means you cannt, indeed, turn it off. There is no setting to stop the info from disappearring after 10 seconds."

​Too bad...

this seems confused.  to save battery the screen would need to completely shut down.  the overlays disappearing after a period of time wont do anything to save battery life.   There will be a setting somewhere.  go deep man.  the engineers will have known videographers will want permanent info on view.  Maybe look at the 'hdmi settings' - maybe 'clean hdmi' also affects feed to the built in screen and removes the overlayed info text on the screen as well as on the hdmi output?

I noticed this too. I REALLY don't like this feature, especially when I am recording. And when I'm not using the LCD screen, the display button is in an awkward place to keep re-pushing it for the info to display (for me at least).

Maybe since its a battery issue, the battery grip will help?

I noticed this too. I REALLY don't like this feature, especially when I am recording. And when I'm not using the LCD screen, the display button is in an awkward place to keep re-pushing it for the info to display (for me at least).

Maybe since its a battery issue, the battery grip will help?

I really don't see how this can be a battery issue since pretty much every digital camera in the history of time have had the possibility to have onscreen info at all times. 

I think this is just a mistake somewhere along the line at Panasonic. They have had to do it intentionally since the manual states several places that the info will disappear in 10 seconds.

BTW you don't have to hit the disp button for the info to reappear, you could hit any button as long as its not the shutter release.

It's annoying but workable.  For me shooting live events, I need to know where the focus area is.  That also disappears, so either I press Display or change focus.  So far I'll have to just deal with it.  Worse thing is EX Tele mode only works on certain lenses.  My 14-140 will not work with EX Tele mode, something that really pisses me off.