Nick Driftwood's reviews of GH3

Matt

I just came across Nick Driftwood's video reviews of the GH3 on Vimeo.

If you're interested in the GH3 and want to see about settings etc. you may find it of interest.

[url="https://vimeo.com/54682759"]https://vimeo.com/54682759[/url]

Read the comments about the moire.

Regards,

Matt

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmmm interesting responses.

Slightly negative I feel.

Did you actually watch the video? Did you like the look of any of the shots?

I don't know Nick Driftwood I just stumbled across his videos on Vimeo.

From reading a few of the posts under his videos he mentions having 2 x EX1s so I presume he knows a thing or two about filming. My guess is he doesn't just run around shooting everything on 'auto'.

I think he posted the video on Creative Control Modes so people can see how the image looks on these settings.

The GH3 is 'new' and people are still learning their way around it's settings, or salivating from a distance.

I think some people will watch the video and go 'O that looks nice! I might try that 'auto' setting to see how the camera has set itself up'. They could then make a note of the settings and then set it 'manually' themselves or even 'tweak' the settings to suit their needs. If you watch the video he has shown the settings on each shot.

Sometimes when I used to shoot on unfamiliar video cameras I would allow the camera to set up on Auto and then knock it into Manual and tweak it to how I though it looked best. You might be surpised to learn that top end video cameras can get it pretty much spot on with auto settings. You just have to be aware of the pitfalls.

I don't think the answers were negative. They were just informative. And the truth is most of us want (and need, actually) actual creative control over the image, not automatic presets. That's why this is brought up.

But yes, going through them is part of making general reviews. The case'd be different when you're aiming them to a specific public (in our case, or most of our cases, photos don't matter the most, so there's not much of a point in reviewing that aspect of the camera).

Nick was showing the capabilities of this camera from all angles video, I think. But I doubt he'll be using much of these settings, unless it's specifically needed for a certain shoot (very specifically). He's a filmmaker that need to have real control over the image.

By the way, he's the man behind some of the best GH2 patches out there! I bet you don't work with a GH2 if you don't know him.

@Matt: I have a retail GH3 in my hand.  So does Andrew.  I tried the creative modes, and there is NO manual control.  If you watch the video, the only way he can control exposure is using exposure compensation, either + or - values.  Any creative modes are in full auto mode.  There is NO menu option to shoot in manual.  Only modes that work in movie mode, full manual, is the 7 picture modes.  None of the creative modes or styles work, and they are actually for photos, even though some work in movie mode.  I hope this clears this up.

@ Germy1979

Yes I just watched it.  Natural is one of the seven.  It's hard to understand the settings and how they affect the profiles without actually having the camera in hand.  The GH3's menu setup is the same as the GH2, so each of the settings has Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise Reduction.  But each of those can be adjusted + or - up to 5, so that's +5 or -5.  Unlike the GH2 which had little effect, the GH3 has a substantial difference.  You can see huge changes, and it can drastically change any of the profiles.  I think Natural and Portrait are flat, but they can be even more flat if you make everything -5.  Finding the right balance is very hard, and you can see how Driftwood tried all sorts of settings.  You can easily get lost if you're not keeping track.  I haven't had enough time to test it out, but so far grading has a little more latitude.  Not a whole lot, but a little more than the GH2.  I think people should wait until Driftwood, Andrew and others have done more tests in order to find the right balance of settings.  There's a lot of adjustment available.  One thing that I think is a waste of time is the Creative Modes, since they are all Full Auto only.  Those special effects are better done in post anyway.