Johnnie Behiri tests the Canon 6D. Full 1080p test video / Moire & aliasing hell

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
http://vimeo.com/54352877

Thanks Johnnie for another enlightening test.

The image is sharp (sharpened in post) but soft out of the camera. Confusingly though we now have a different problem. Some intentional market segmentation causing this to be a worse camera for filmmakers than it needs to be. Moire everywhere! Terrible aliasing! No headphone jack!

Therefore I cannot recommend it for video and I urge Canon to put a halt to this kind of bullshit immediately. Just make each product as good as it can feasibly be for the money. I mean seriously how much does a headphone jack cost!?

I am going out tonight so no time to do a proper blog post on this but will look at it again later in the week.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It was between this or the GH3 for me and this video is making the decision pretty easy

I do not think the lack of a headphone jack is really such a huge deal since in camera audio on most cameras is pretty pitiful anyway. But the moire looks terrible!

See, I wouldnt care if the 5DMK3 was more for film makers and this was for photos, but the 5DMK3 isnt a good improvement for video from the MK2 in my opinion.

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1354058227' post='22485']
Gawddamn Canon. There's moire in the damn brownies.

DONE.
[/quote]

Yeah that quote made me laugh. :D