Mosaic Engineering filters for 550D/T2i and similar, plus 60D

jgharding

Mosaic engineering have released VAF-TXi anti-aliasing / anti-moiré filter for Canon T2i (550D), T3i (600D), & T4i (650D). Designed to cut down aliasing, moire and false detail, resulting in a much better picture.

http://store.mosaicengineering.com/VAF-TXi-Moire-Aliasing-Filter_p_14.html

you can see Andrew's example of the version for 5D here:http://www.eoshd.com/content/7120/canon-5d-mark-ii-mosaic-engineering-vaf-5d2-anti-aliasing-filter-review

I have mine on the way, I'll let y'all know how it works ;)

JG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It's a good point! For me it's a matter of familiarity, I know Magic Lantern and 550D, my lenses etc. inside out, so it makes sense to chuck in a little to improve the quality quite a bit, but yes for first timers it'd be a little silly! I've always been a fan of getting everything you can from gear before upgrading...

Yea, the idea is really great. There are some problems, though (cinema5d.com/news/?p=12190).

Downsides

There are four minor things you should be aware of:
1. The closest focusing distance of your lenses is changed. The Tokina 11-16mm used here could initially focus as close as 30cm, with the filter applied the closest point was 100cm. On the Canon EF-S 55-250mm it raised from 1.1m to about 1.5m
2. Focusing by using the zoom-in button on your 7D is not as easy as it was before. During zoom your image appears only about a third as sharp as without the filter. Focusing accurately is still 100% possible.
3. You cannot take useful photos while the filter is in.
4. Not intended for 720p mode.

The image out of camera loses some false-detail sharpness but responds a lot better to sharpening, by the looks of it.

I noticed this about anamorphic too, the softening effect of the wide stretch lets the footage respond nicely to sharpening, and you can push a lot harder than with spherical lenses. The humble 550D also denoises in a far nicer way than the FS700, I think, though it doesn't have the 422 or ultimate sharpness.

Combined with ultra-hacked I-frame bitrates on 600D I think this filter will help to peak this generation of cheap and cheerful EOS! I think there's still life in it yet ;) and there's whole new generation of film-makers with even less cash and even fresher ideas yet to come...

Let us know what its like, as i've had my eye on this for ages.
It took them almost a year to come up with this option for other cameras & it might be a little bit late in the day.
Unless its really worth it, the nearly £200 price tag is a bit steep - i would have paid it, in a heart beat, last year, but now...not so sure!
Thanks in advance

same here, i watched it for a long time, never seemed to arrive then suddenly, boom!

Yes it is late in the lifespan, but I'm excited to try it out for sure, I don't see myself parting with the EOS just yet, in fact I'm swapping out the 550D for a 600D soon rather than picking a different camera system. Anything over the 1Kpounds mark i tend to rent, which gives away that when I have a budget it's not my body that's used (though almost always my lenses).

I don't often do test videos, but I'll be sure to pop one up when I get the filter in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, much appreciated.
Just watched the vids on their site again & it should make a lot of a difference.
I'm with you on sticking with EOS (2in1 camera) & renting, just makes sense - oh, & ML is just hands down the best hack.
I'm waiting for the 5D mk2 to hit below £1k - real bargain with that filter.

Interesting & his stuff on the 5D workflow is good (scanning 1080 to 2k):
http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/11/canon-5d-still-a-workhorse/

The ML hacked 7D could be a goldmine if they get it right & it's hit the £1k mark, but needs to drop more.

• 1 month later...