Hell and Back Again nominated for Oscar (short list!!)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Congratulations to Danfung Dennis (follow him on Twitter [url=http://twitter.com/#!/Danfung]here[/url]) for the Oscar nomination of 5D Mk II shot Hell and Back Again.

Let this be a reminder for anyone itching to upgrade your camera instead of investing in an idea, or just shooting...

In the right hands a DSLR is good enough for the Oscars.

[url=http://vimeo.com/28912003]HELL AND BACK AGAIN Trailer[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
No, no of course not, but judging from the traffic on DSLR video fora, the percentage of the talk about equipment is quite overwhelming, compared to the interest in creativity... What if a writer's litterature forum mostly talked about word processors or book binding :-)  Some of the world's greatest film makers began their career with 8mm short films.

• Administrators
The analogy is very poor because word processing and binding techniques add nothing to writing.

Gear is part of the language of cinema. The lens, the camera, 8mm - for example - is a shooting style. Each has its own feel, its own soul, its own poetry to add to the story.

I really do get tired of hearing that it is all about the content, it plainly isn't.  :-X

I agree completely... I will never forget the inspiring feel, and results, of my Nikon F2 with the 105mm and Tri-X... And being a professional artist painter I of course know the importance of the medium, the technique and gear, but the subject and its mood is still what it is all about. The gear is only important as far as its role in helping your conveying the subject, the mood, your feelings etc.

What I wanted to say really was that I get a little sad seeing how few views and comments some really great footage gets compared to some of the gear stuff...