Will this lens combo work?

roccoforte

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi I also am seriously considering the GH3, and am wondering what best combination of lenses are to be had for an anamorphic lens, I have specifically been looking at Isco 1.75. As I am only about to pre order the body I am wondering what photo lenses people have tested and which would work best, and which anamorphic lens people would recommend. This Isco is appealing to me due to its price point and the fact that you dont have to manage focus on both lenses at once.
-On a budget, but am definitely reasonable
-No interest in macro or intense zoom capabilities

To me I find the Moller 8/19/1.5 way overpriced at the moment for what it is. I remember seeing them go for £300 on more than a year ago. now someone is advertising his for almost £1000. it wont sell, but it means every other bloke selling their will follow suit. If you are lucky you can still find an iscormama 36 for this much on enay. Yes the images are beautiful on the moller - if anything nicer than the iscorama, with an organic feel. It also close focuses better than any other. but it has dual focus rings which make it next to impossible to actually use for most stuff. the tiny size limits it a lot with taking lens options. if it were £300 I'd say grab one. but these are getting harder to obtain than iscorama's now. in which case, spend a few hunderd more and get something you dont need to mess around and that wont limit you in lens selection.

Based on your gh3 choice you have a smaller sensor meaning it is easier to obtain usable results with focus through type anamorphics. why not look into some focus through choices, which are much cheaper. LA7200 is completely overpriced at the moment. I am yet to see a sample where it outperforms the cheaper Optex type 16:9 converters. have a look at the optex, soligor and century 16:9 anamorphics which will give you 2.35:1 on a 16:9 sensor. or try this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isco-Widescreen-2000-Anamorphic-adaptor-lens-/170942055079?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27ccf0c2a7

grab a tokina +0.4 to sharpen it up at wider apertures maybe?

This is based on my experiences. I just upgraded from a century 1609 to a iscorama 36 but have fond memories of how nice the century was to work with.

I'll second richg101 on isco widescreen 2000 - it is very sharp & you'll have no problems about using a 35mm lens on a GH3 (i've used a 30mm lens on a 60D with no vignette - so in theory you could go lower than 35).

[u][b]However[/b][/u] - it is a fixed focus system @ 5m, so you can't rack focus! (disregard what anyone else says, its not true - you've been warned)

On the plus side you could put almost any diopter in front of it & get very little noticeable CA (i remember someone telling me that its made up of 2 achromats) - a +1 would serve you better than a +0.4, but both would be ideal.
It will be sharper than an Iscorama, have the same look & be a 3rd of the price.

[u][b]However[/b][/u] - it is a fixed focus system @ 5m, so you can't rack focus! (disregard what anyone else says, its not true - you've been warned)

I wasnt aware of this. How did the guy on the sample footage of terminus I posted get infinity? cant you just focus using the taking lens?

There's a lot of rubbish posted online & have no idea why someone would pretend a lens does something when it clearly doesn't.
Also, there could be confusion over/between the Widescreen 2000 & the 2000 series of Iscoramas (the sealed monoblock anamorphic lenses - the 2004 with a Leica 50mm f2 Summicron being the best)

If you stop down a lot it kinda goes to infinity, but isn't as sharp as it is at 5m - deep depth of field etc...
So in the Terminus vid, he's outdoors & stopped down.
Don't get me wrong its useable footage, but if you blow it up (big screen, not vimeo) it will be soft in comparison to any close up footage.

This is a better example of what it can do:
http://vimeo.com/19736579

Prices vary a lot, they go for between £300-£600 (normally closer to £500) - they do seem to be v.popular. Of course you can be lucky (i was) & if you can get one closer to 400, its a bargin!
I'll do some quick infinity footage & post it.

No, this wasn't me, but once i saw this it gave me serious lens envy.

I ended up buying the iscomorphot S8/x2 (monoblock), as i kept getting out bid - at the time they were going for £600.
I was lucky earlier this year & bought one as a potential B-cam lens to go with the 54.

They come up every now & then, definitely worth a pop. But expect the bidding to vary & do keep in mind that they normally don't go cheap - you need to be seriously lucky.

Just did a little test & you need to stop down to get infinity, otherwise its a mess.
On the Tair 11a i actually got the best results at 15m rather than at Infinity (it was actually pretty damn sharp, my bad) - in fact i couldn't get anything in focus with the taking lens at infinity no matter how far in the distance i searched. Go figure!
With the +0.4 achromat on you go from 5m to 1.6m.
Oh & sharp from wide open.

Edit: That one on ebay is now at £310 - lol!
Hope you guys aren't bidding against each other!

Didn't see those, but you can be lucky & perhaps the demand has died down a little.
I'll be interested to see how much this one goes for, just for reference.
But if the price is silly i might sell mine & pick up a cheap GH2.
Prices are really up & down at the moment depending on the lens - a Kowa B&H went for just over £100 the other day & its worth so much more!
I forgot to bid on a Sancor 16D the other day & it went for £70 - bugger!

Someone posted a 2000 & 42 a few days ago (starting bids 99p), but the listings vanished as fast as they went up - probably got an offer he couldn't refuse!