Panasonic GH3 real-world test (pre-production firmware)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I ask everyone here use it fair, protect me as the source, not prevent anyone using it on their own.

It would be great if someone can download and reup it, then notify me, I will delete it.

Dude, I think, you didn't move the camera (GH3), to check for Moire. I saw, some appearing, but, before the camera could start developing moire (or atleast allow it to be noticed), you ended the video (and so, the test).

Also, you have to open the lens more. Maybe at around f8 or more. cause, the depth of field, was quite shallow, at certain spots, to allow for testing moire.

Noted, I do think I need tighter apperture when I do this but the room quite dark so I open it up. Maybe I will do a re-test.

I love video, but not working in the field, I only do video review of gadgets and short interviews because I have connection in technology industry. So I'm not really understand about codec and moire and stuff related to it fully (anything related to photography is in my knowledge). Sorry if my test not provide useful information, if someone can direct me to do this or that and explain why, I can do it better :)

Dude, I think, you didn't move the camera (GH3), to check for Moire. I saw, some appearing, but, before the camera could start developing moire (or atleast allow it to be noticed), you ended the video (and so, the test).

There is moire in this shot, but its very fine. Seems to be more in the beginning. If you feel like doing it again foggyflute, it would help to start further back, then move in to as close as you got before. Maybe try moving back about 3 times as far. thanks again.

The GH3 moire chase seems to have become a real witchhunt here... I see nothing in that video that would ruin a shot, however I am seeing nice detail in what appears to be a dimly lit scene... looks good so far!

Can we move on to some other tests like dynamic range or a sharpness comparison with the GH2? Raw files would be best with 0,0,0,0 settings on both cameras and the same lens used, if possible. TIA foggy.

Andrew, marketing BS of TV makers already messses things enough (to hide lack of advance for selling same crap again) so would be better to use correct name of display instead of calling OLED panel as LCD.

GH3 is the first mirrorless body I consider as real alternative for enthusiast higher end DSLR. (though not in fast target focus tracking)
Lack of proper controls and ergonomical grip in mirrorless bodies has been seriously frustrating when best pre-cheap DSLR era bridge/prosumer cameras like 2004's Minolta Dimage A2 made all entry level DSLRs feel crap.

I cant even read the raw, LR4 not reading it, not sure how :-?

Sorry, I should have said "unprocessed video file" rather than "Raw."

That being said, Adobe Camera Raw now supports GH3 files, here is the download link: http://labs.adobe.co...meraraw7-3.html So feel free to post up any still image RAWs and we will be able to read them.

Camera and lens support in 7.3 http://labs.adobe.co...=details#tabTop

Thanks for the link. I really need that.

F5.6 1/125 iso 200 picturestyle: standard, 25p all-i
Against morning sunlight. The video look good, but not sure about DR, I dont have Premier Pro on my home computer to leveling it.

Upload from home is real slow, and my computer batt are dying, aw.
Here's the capture picture from the video, the video it self must wait.
DR.jpg

Thanks for the link. I really need that.

F5.6 1/125 iso 200 picturestyle: standard, 25p all-i

Against morning sunlight. The video look good, but not sure about DR, I dont have Premier Pro on my home computer to leveling it.

Upload from home is real slow, and my computer batt are dying, aw.

Here's the capture picture from the video, the video it self must wait.

DR.jpg

Could you please shoot some footage in the High Dynamic "picture style" or "profile"? I understand that's the most dynamic range you can get from the camera and it'd be nice to see how it performs in a raw video out of the GH3.

There's a i-dynamic or something turned on already.

Yeah, but that's an automatic function that's also present in the GH2, and it lifts the low lights whenever it wants to in situations of high contrast, but it can't be manually controlled.
What I mean is a color proflie. I think it's unde "CREATIVE CONTROL". You can choose between "Expresive", "Retro", "High Key", etc. What I'm interested in particular is the "High Dynamic" setting, which has a gamma curve similar to the "Cinestyle" color profile in the Canon DSLR cameras.
Could you look it up in your camera and shoot a properly exposed video in a similar high contrast situation using that "CREATIVE CONTROL" setting?
I think it'd be of great interest to many of us. Thanks!

Yeah, but that's an automatic function that's also present in the GH2, and it lifts the low lights whenever it wants to in situations of high contrast, but it can't be manually controlled.

What I mean is a color proflie. I think it's unde "CREATIVE CONTROL". You can choose between "Expresive", "Retro", "High Key", etc. What I'm interested in particular is the "High Dynamic" setting, which has a gamma curve similar to the "Cinestyle" color profile in the Canon DSLR cameras.

Could you look it up in your camera and shoot a properly exposed video in a similar high contrast situation using that "CREATIVE CONTROL" setting?

I think it'd be of great interest to many of us. Thanks!

+1!