Round 1 Goes to RED!!! Sony? Canon? Panasonic?

FilmMan

The fight has begun. [u][b]RED has responded[/b][/u] to the pre fight talk from Sony [u][b]with their pricing[/b][/u]. Sony is an industry leader and has been around a lot longer than Red. Instead of fighting they perform a Kata and dodge the fight. The bell has rung and round 1 goes to RED.

Round 2? RED will not only being fighting Sony, but other foes. Stay tune Batman fans, the Joker, Penguin and Riddler are plotting.

Anyone wanting to predict how the fight will go? Odds? Is RED's kamura strong enough? The longer the wait for the challengers to step up, the more cameras RED will sell. When RED sells a camera, the competition loses a potential customer. Let the fight continue! It could get [b][color=#ff0000]bloody[/color][/b].

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='andy lee' timestamp='1351885402' post='20903']
Canon have responded they put their prices up on 1 November on their whole DSLR range!!
[/quote]

I have a feeling a $300 price drop on the 5D3 isnt going to do much to deter sales of a Red one!

[quote name='andy lee' timestamp='1351885402' post='20903']
Canon have responded they put their prices up on 1 November on their whole DSLR range!!
[/quote]

Andy, I wonder if this is the correct tactic for the fight - raising prices. Sure Christmas is coming .... Maybe Canon is waiting for "Boxing Day?" Cheers.

Canon didn't really raise the prices but is going to enforce the Minimum Advertised Prices: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canons-map-pricing-goes-into-full-effect-today/

That does mean things are getting more expensive though.

I doubt canon and the likes will respond to this at all. Not with the current line up I think. Maybe with new products.. But when? The cinema lineup is fairly new..

[quote name='Julian' timestamp='1351892947' post='20917']
Canon didn't really raise the prices but is going to enforce the Minimum Advertised Prices: [url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canons-map-pricing-goes-into-full-effect-today/"]http://www.canonrumo...l-effect-today/[/url][/quote]This must be US only as Resale Price Maintenance is illegal in the EU.

[quote name='nigelbb' timestamp='1352039069' post='20992']
This must be US only as Resale Price Maintenance is illegal in the EU.
[/quote]
Is it? Maybe it works in different ways, but it definitely happens in Europe. The best example is Apple, their prices are pretty much fixed everywhere.

[quote name='Julian' timestamp='1352065175' post='21014']
Is it? Maybe it works in different ways, but it definitely happens in Europe. The best example is Apple, their prices are pretty much fixed everywhere.
[/quote]

Apple sells their own products everywhere, and when they don't they have strict rules for their authorized resellers, hardly a good example :)

[quote name='nigelbb' timestamp='1352039069' post='20992']
This must be US only as Resale Price Maintenance is illegal in the EU.
[/quote]

Technically it's not resale price maintenance, which is also illegal in the US, because it only refers to the advertised price. People can still sell it for whatever they want, but they can't advertise below the MAP. For online retailers this means if you want to sell below MAP you must make the buyer put the item in the cart before they can see the price. I think if a retailer breaks this policy, they become an unlicensed retailer, and the warranty gets voided.

This policy is in effect everywhere(including the EU).

[quote name='Leang' timestamp='1352077149' post='21027']
Tempted to buy a Red One asap. Can Dragon be upgraded to the One?
[/quote]

It would be the other way round, and no, which means your films could probably only look as good as The Social Network or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, is that a limitation you're willing to live with? :)

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1352074461' post='21025']
Technically it's not resale price maintenance, which is also illegal in the US, because it only refers to the advertised price. People can still sell it for whatever they want, but they can't advertise below the MAP. For online retailers this means if you want to sell below MAP you must make the buyer put the item in the cart before they can see the price. I think if a retailer breaks this policy, they become an unlicensed retailer, and the warranty gets voided.

This policy is in effect everywhere(including the EU).
[/quote][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Minimum Advertised Price is covert price fixing & is just as illegal here in Europe as it inhibits competition.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='nigelbb' timestamp='1352107332' post='21045']
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Minimum Advertised Price is covert price fixing & is just as illegal here in Europe as it inhibits competition.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Coincidentally I've studied MAP extensively(while I was finishing my PhD), and I think it could end up being an antitrust issue.

I think the reason for it's existence is the battle for shelf space at large retailers(or search priority online). MAP guarantees large retailers a certain margin on their sales. It also makes it easier for large retailers to implement price protection policies. My point is, that MAP is a manufacturers response to the retailer's bargaining power.

To make a long story short: If you want retailers to market your product, you need to get them demand and a good margin. MAP helps manufacturers do this. But, does it hurt the consumer? I think the simple answer is yes, since it keeps prices high. The counter argument, about it being for the sake of "high service" "mom and pop" retailers is far fetched at best.

But it's not illegal, at least not yet.