Sony NEX-900 Full Frame truth

Leang

I have a strong feeling that you can only rock true Full Frame with their A lenses. So in order to safeguard their marketing they bundle the LA-EA3 so that you must acquire their A lenses. They are careful with their descriptions as well. Here's the detail on the LA-EA3,

"When it comes to lenses, the more options the better. In addition to E-mount lens compatibility, the LA-EA3 adapter is included in the box for greater creative freedom. With the LA-EA3 you can use A-mount lenses and take full advantage of wide-angle shooting at the lens's designed focal length with no cropping. Put simply, there's an entire landscape of lenses at your disposal that's sure to fit your needs."

Do realize that any E-Mount lens is auto cropped to APS-C mode which basically becomes a VG-30. In fact you're buying a VG-30 (regardless of a FF sensor) if you don't have A lenses. Quoted above, eliminate "wide-angle" from their third sentence and that's (what I believe) the justification to sub textually say that only with A lenses can you achieve Full Frame from this proprietary protocol. I have a feeling that the LA-EA3 initiates the firmware to full frame. This is important as I would also believe that third party adapters might suffer from an APS-C auto crop! And Sony would have every right to do so which is why they bundle the LA-EA3. We need real FF focal tests with their adapter and third party.

Therefore I believe without the LA-EA3 you do not have Full Frame via firmware protocol restriction. Any thoughts? Sorry for my skepticism but many of you would agree with me about cheap Firmware antics in the industry as well as hardware is sometimes a total slap to the face.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I have seen the vg900 with voigtlander (leica mount), Zeiss (c/y and qbm mount) and canon L lenses (EF) using the MTF electronic aperture control lens adaptor (£1000). No one will use the A Mount glass, if they already have A mount lenses they can take advantage of the free bundled adaptor. metabones are sure to create a electronic nex to eos which allows full frame coverage. at the moment the current metabones adaptors cant cover the full frame so you need to select aps-c crop mode.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1351880272' post='20890']
at the moment the current metabones adaptors cant cover the full frame so you need to select aps-c crop mode.
[/quote]

Ok so you're saying that eventually MTF will more than likely figure out a Full Frame coverage adaptor? My point is that the LA-EA3 is like a dongle key so that the body recognizes FF activation. Like an encryption. FF lenses bodied to APS-C adaptor endeavors seemed easier to manufacturer since the sweet spot of the glass is centered. FF coverage is literally wanting the actual lens. I just think Sony is playing smart hardball for proprietary protocols they market. I hope I understood you correctly.

The Nikon D600 and A99 share the same 24mp sensor. I don't know about the A99 having a cinema tone function like the 900, but the Nikon doesn't. Been thinking of the 900, but if we have to submit to A lenses for full frame then maybe not.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1351880352' post='20891']
search out the 'camera diner' episode from last night. nex e mount special. probably being uploaded right now. it was live last night
[/quote]

We're can I find this? Thnx

there is already full frame adaptors for all mf lenses. (e-mount to whatever you want). MTF already makes a adaptor for ef to e emount with aperture control. metabones will probably make a mofied version of theirs too.

search 'camera diner' on youtube. its not up yet though. I think they normally upload the day after the live show

[quote name='Leang' timestamp='1351881528' post='20893']
My point is that the LA-EA3 is like a dongle key so that the body recognizes FF activation. Like an encryption. FF lenses bodied to APS-C adaptor endeavors seemed easier to manufacturer since the sweet spot of the glass is centered. FF coverage is literally wanting the actual lens. I just think Sony is playing smart hardball for proprietary protocols they market. I hope I understood you correctly.
[/quote]

You dont need the la-ea3 to use full frame. if you use a e-mount aps-c lens then it auto crops to aps-c mode. if you use la-ea3 it allows full frame when using alpha mount lenses. if you use non sony lenses then its auto to full frame. you can select aps-c crop if you want, or leave it at full frame if you lens works on full frame. (most vintage slr lenses cover full frame with no vignette. My zeiss qbm mount worked great. looked superb

• 2 weeks later...
I downloaded the VG900 user manual and it says that the user can switch on/off the automatic detection of APS-C mount of lenses. I also emailed Sony to know if using full frame lenses via an adapter to E-mount (like in my case Leica M) using an M->E mount adapter and still use full frame mode is possible. Sony's answer was "yes but you need to be sure that the adapter was built for full frame lenses." My interpretation is that one needs to check if the adapter throws vignettes or not.