Lets Discuss, where the GH3 Falls Short

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1352050358' post='21001']
How about everyone moaning about the performance first go out and shoot something that actually needs footage better than what the gh3 can provide, before jumping the gun and wanting more.
[/quote]

What do you expect? There is a freedom of speech. You can't take their right to moan =).

This thread is just a discussion. And maybe it's true that it's turned kind of negative. But it's just a discussion. There's no need to get upset that someone is bashing (which no one has actually done) your new favorite camera. Obviously that's easer said then done. I'm very sorry if it seems like I'm trying to convince everyone to not buy this camera. That's not my intention at all. My reaction comes from my own personal dissatisfaction and is in no way representative of how everyone else feels. I was staking a lot on this camera and feel really upset that it didn't meet my own personal criteria. Of course this is, and should be, different for everyone. This discussion has ruffled a few feathers and in the interest of keeping the peace I wont comment on it any further.

I do have one last thing to point out though (sorry). Many people in this thread have pointed out that the results we've seen are from a pre-production camera. While this is true and normally would indicate that things will change, Panasonic assured some reviewers that this was representative of final image quality. Since I've mentioned this in a few other threads, I assumed most of you guys knew that. I've struggled to find the exact place I read that but eventually, I found a review that has the same info:

[url="http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-review-20489"]http://www.ephotozin...h3-review-20489[/url]

[quote][b]Nb.[/b][color=#2D2D2D][font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] Panasonic Lumix GH3 tested with firmware 0.5, which Panasonic assures us is representative of final image quality and video recording quality.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

So again, not trying to piss anyone off here, Just thought I'd explain that little bit.

To clarify that: If Panasonic wouldn't think it was representative the GH3 wouldn't be send out to big groups of reviewers. It is right now. It is even being used by the public in test events organized by Panasonic in cooperation with magazines. Without any restrictions on publishing the material. Usually when companies send out pre production samples reviewers are not allowed to publish full resolution shots, or there should be clear mentions of the fact that it is preproduction.

Anyway, even in those cases, in general the difference in picture quality from preproduction and final production cameras are negligible. Final firmware tuning is mostly about stability etc. It's not realistic to think moire is going to disappear with a firmware upgrade or in a final production camera.

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1352058753' post='21008']
This thread is just a discussion. And maybe it's true that it's turned kind of negative. But it's just a discussion. There's no need to get upset that someone is bashing (which no one has actually done) your new favorite camera.
[/quote]

I like the GH3, but it's not my new favorite. BMCC will get that award.

[quote name='gravitatemediagroup' timestamp='1352066583' post='21016']
I like the GH3, but it's not my new favorite. BMCC will get that award.
[/quote]

Amusing to see you critisize people who judge the GH3 from preproduction footage with no hands on experience, while declaring the BMCC your favorite before getting one :lol:

[quote name='zaz' timestamp='1352100898' post='21041']
Personally, I think I will skip the GH3, and put that 1300 towards storage and ssd's for a BMCC. It's where we're all heading anyways right? I'm realizing now that the GH3 was just an uneccesary step between here and there.
[/quote]

It is a "step", lol... You look at the best for the price range... In the bracket of DSLR's, i have to admit the Gh3 might not be the best Right now, but it probably will be once "they" unlock it & start digging in. There's a lot more horsepower in this one... Whether it goes apeshit when you point it at a powerline is something else.

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1352113563' post='21049']i have to admit the Gh3 might not be the best Right now[/quote]

What would be the best video dslr right now?

A Canon 5D III beats a GH3 in low light for sure and has better dynamic range, but no 1080p60. I'm pretty sure it has less detail in video and it's three times as expensive.

Even with the GH3 being twice the price of the GH2, I can't think of anything else that beats it price/performance wise.

[quote name='Julian' timestamp='1352118270' post='21058']

What would be the best video dslr right now?

A Canon 5D III beats a GH3 in low light for sure and has better dynamic range, but no 1080p60. I'm pretty sure it has less detail in video and it's three times as expensive.

Even with the GH3 being twice the price of the GH2, I can't think of anything else that beats it price/performance wise.
[/quote]

A Gh2 if it has moire and aliasing.

Well, as long as there are good arguments, it just comes down to personal preferences.
Germy can say the GH2 is the best, but if you care for 1080p60 a weather sealed body, audio out and clean hdmi out the GH3 is better... I'd agree on Germy that the GH2 is the best value for money right now.

It updated hard core, for sure. It's a brick shithouse now with a consistent resolution between slow-mo and 24p which is huge. Clean out is huge. A better screen was insanely needed, and a freakin' quad core processor? I would'nt even be talking right now man if I knew for a fact it did or didn't have aliasing/moire issues. That's based on the mindset of a guy strictly buying it for its video department... But why build a masterpiece of potential as a successor to the Gh2, which despite the hack, was the only one almost completely devoid of aliasing/moire at the time, - and leave it in this time around? That nearly trumps everything, because it's the purpose of the product, the image.

So I wanna get it... I have a gh2. If it has A/M..there are workarounds i suppose. I've shot succesful videos on a T2i before, lol..

[quote name='gravitatemediagroup' timestamp='1352143456' post='21077']
I just shoot videos of my cats running around the house so all I need is a BMCC. If I got a real gig then I may look into a GH3.
[/quote]

Roflm(f)ao ... Dude, you need an F55, or the EPIC. Or, better still, a multi-cam set-up, with, maybe 12 EPICs and 12 F55s. :D

• Administrators
[quote name='zaz' timestamp='1352100898' post='21041']
Personally, I think I will skip the GH3, and put that 1300 towards storage and ssd's for a BMCC. It's where we're all heading anyways right? I'm realizing now that the GH3 was just an uneccesary step between here and there.
[/quote]

$1300 towards storage for BMCC? How about $13,000? :)

It is a damned nice camera though.

[quote name='zaz' timestamp='1352196069' post='21125']
relevant:
12-35 2.8 on a gh2.

it's on youtube so @0:50 just might be a compression thing, but take a loot. all the usual suspects are present in a godamn high degree.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u4m7u0oqig[/media]
[/quote]

Shit !!!I noticed the moire too. I am gussing, these tests were done, with the 'shoot without lenses', option OFF. That causes the Camera to do strange things, in an effort to correct chromatic aberration.

[quote name='zaz' timestamp='1352196069' post='21125']
relevant:
12-35 2.8 on a gh2.

it's on youtube so @0:50 just might be a compression thing, but take a loot. all the usual suspects are present in a godamn high degree.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u4m7u0oqig[/media]
[/quote]

I think this is a case of shitty postproduction work. The video looks as if it was shot interlaced and then had a field thrown away. Weird, nothing like any of the other GH3 videos. I'm confident to say moiré can't be that bad on the GH3. Besides, it can be seen everywhere in this video. I think it's a bad export/conversion.