The Shiga Scope Anamorphic x1.5

brucker

the Shigascope x1.5 anamorphic macgyver-ed to a Jupiter 9 on a Nikon V1, no grading or post other than unsqueezing and shitty editing :unsure: . from the colours though, i think i had the Nikon V1's colour profile set to "vivid":

[media]http://youtu.be/26YxVSD79LE[/media]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/21346/5090de900f714_DSC_1858.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/21346/5090ded53f1f4_DSC_1860.jpg[/img]

so a couple of weeks ago i picked up a Shigascope x1.5 anamorphic.

its a teeny lil' thing designed for 8mm cameras and projectors.

If you google shiga you'll find that shiga is/was a small little company in the middle of japan that made anamorphic elements for many of the big boys, including Panavision. Often these were painstakingly made by hand. I'm guessing that this is from the same people. that's about all i know about its heritage, perhaps tony or someone else could fill us in on some history.

on a nikon v1 with a 1 inch sensor 35mm works well with no vignetting, while a 28mm vignettes slightly, enough to put one off if you dont like a vignette. i would imagine the same would be true on m43. (someone correct me if i'm wrong though.)

its a loverly sharp lens which makes it easy to dual focus. I've found it clearer and therefore faster to focus compared to my 8mm kowa prominar or the 16mm elmoscope. not sure why, but the sweetspot is easier to determine, even in low light on a wide open jupiter 9, which is f2.

on my 50mm f1.4 takumar, wide open i frequently miss-focused,... but stopping down a bit made things easier.

here's a still that i took the other night:

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/21346/5090e2eec0ca7_machanDSC_1666.jpg[/img]

so it's a pretty damn good bit of glass and I'm quite pleased with it. Of the three little baby anamorphics i have i think this is the one that i'll be keeping.

I heart my shigascope :wub:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
both films are politically a little iffy as far as western destruction of indigenous peoples are concerned.
both have superb superb cinematographers and scope cinematography

shiga anamorphic fronts made into movie lens built by technovision

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLFdJLSho8[/media]

shiga front old cooke taking lens made into a movie lens for jdc london.
very poor quality you tube clip
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfG_orGM_K8&feature=related[/media]

I recognise that second clip as being from The Mission; a profound film; so too Apocalypse Now. There is a common 'thread' running through the seam of both films.

One aspect of the Shigascope x1.5 clip uploaded by [i]brucker [/i]is the [u]absence[/u] of lens element flare/vignette in the corners of frame, especially when the train headlights are pointing directly at the lens at 0:37. There must be a better term for what I am intending to describe. The 'flare' I'm referring to reveals the oval outline of the anamorphic lens elements.

[i]bucker [/i]do you have any daylight footage?

love both of those movies! this lil lens has some nice DNA :P

a couple of reasons for not seeing the lens,...

- the nikon v1's sensor is a x2.7 crop, about the same size as 16mm i think. just a bit bigger perhaps. so you're looking thru the center of whatever lens you have on.

- the x2.7 turns the 85mm jupiter 9 into a 229.5mm lens making its FoV more narrow so it goes thru the center of the little shigascope.

on a 50mm(=135mm equivalent on V1) i still dont see the corners when it flares. in the kowa anamorphic-8 thread i used a 50mm takumar pointed straight at the sun and didnt see the corners. the shigascope is also an 8mm lens.

on a 35 i dont quite recall but i dont think you'd see the corners unless its misaligned.

and on a 28, a vignette comes as standard.

i dont know how much that would change on an m43 or larger sensor. now that i think about it, you might see some corners using a 35mm on a larger sensor. i'm a film shooter and this v1 is my first digital so i dont have any other digitals i can try it on. someone want to lend me a gh2? :P

i do have daylight clips, but they're even shittier than that one :D kept missing focus for some reason that day, my poor macgyvering skills probably.

i'm going to head out later today and try it again, its a bit grey today though.

cheers richg :)

yeah the greater DoF of the x2.7 crop sensor makes it easier to focus fast lenses close to wide open,... its still easy to miss focus at f1.4-2 and with an anamorphic in front its even less clear so i need to stop down to about f2-2.8 to nail focus.

which is nice cos now i dont feel the need to own anything faster than an f2,... anamorphics, gorgeous and saves you from must-have-super-fast-lens-itis :D

• 2 weeks later...
YET ANOTHER ANAMORPHIC TEST!

:rolleyes:

this time its a Mir-1v, wide open with an ND4 and a polarizer, as a taking lens with my beloved Shigascope,.... and yours truely cos i'm billy-no-mates:

[media]http://youtu.be/-vWvcQpyEhQ[/media]

i think i need to calibrate my monitor,...

and figure out why i walk funny,...

no but a tiny one was made called yashicascope a little soft but if you repair them they are nice.

[b]Shintohoscope was a pro lens quite interesting this is a bad transfer.[/b]
[b]i love the innocent acting of the young girl in this clip 2.45 in very sweet.[/b]
[b]the movie is not so sweet in theme but rather great horror.[/b]

[b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOlEUhSrzBM[/b]

oooh, that's one classic movie i keep hearing about,.. gotta watch it one day.

cheers for the info on shintohoscope!

had a quick google in japanese but i couldnt really find much,... got alerts set up if any do happen to pop up.

same with the yashicascope, looks like kowa and elmo dominated the market.

got my eyes peeled for them now.

• 1 month later...

here's a bit of an update on the shigascope,....

i have been shooting tonnes of stills and since the redstan clamps came in, i'm never going to shoot spherical ever ever again!

unless threatened with castration,... and even then,... maybe,...

so here are some stills i've taken over the past couple of months, most with some post work done. i post more on flickr and me facebook if you like what you see.

you guys really need to get your hands on one of these,... had I an extra one i'd be happy to send it to more capable hands to see what can be done by a pro. unfortunately, these dont seem that common. 

some footage should be up early next year.

merry christmas and happy new year guys, you've more than made my year by sharing your knowledge here!

Congrats to your great anamorphic! Very impressive. A couple of days ago there was a YashicaScope on ebay from South Africa

boxed and with some additional goodies. It was sold around €350,- . I was thinking about it but the videos did not convince me: Too soft.

And I also wanted to go for a Möller. I like these small anamorphics like your Shiga. So handy and practical. I sold my Sankor, LA7200 because they are too heavy and big. Looking forward for more stuff from you and the Shigascope. Thanks for sharing your experiences!