CANON C500 Must Read!!!

FilmMan

Hey, we need to be fair to Canon as they have been fair to its people. They listen and respond. :rolleyes:

Anyone buying the C500? Price $25,999. There is a $3000 rebate to owners of the C300. Click on Rebates...Loyalty Program.
[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855975-REG/Canon_EOS_C500_Cinema_EOS.html"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855975-REG/Canon_EOS_C500_Cinema_EOS.html[/url]

Here's the product highlights:
[b] Product Highlights[/b]
[list]
[*]4K RAW (4096 x 2160) Output
[*]EF Lens Mount for Broad Compatibility
[*]8.8 Mp Super 35mm-Size CMOS Sensor
[*]Also Puts Out 2K, Quad HD & Full HD
[*]2x 3G-SDI Outputs
[*]50 Mb/s Proxy HD Recording to CF Card
[*]10-Bit 4K RAW at Up to 60p
[*]10-Bit 4K Half RAW at Up to 120p
[*]12-Bit 2K 4:4:4 Signal at Up to 60p
[*]Canon Log Gamma
[/list]
The C500 also has a body type in common with the C300. Featuring large, accessible buttons with ridges dividing them, the EOS C500 has been designed expressly for the craft of digital cinema. [color=#FF0000][b]Its signal output is similarly appropriate: At rates up to 60 frames per second, the 10-bit 4K RAW data stream output can be recorded to an approved external device ([i]sold separately[/i]) at full resolution.[/b][/color] Using a format called 4K half RAW, which halves the horizontal resolution, you can capture up to 120 fps to the external recorder by using both of the C500's 3G-SDI outputs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
thing is, no one can touch the c300 c500 for handling. they are lovely, compact, all in one units that smash out their broadcast legit signal into cf cards. own one of these and you can hire it out week in, week out when not using it yourself. it'll pay for itself. After being in close contact with the c300 a few times, briefly using one I fell in love. sony can reel out loads of higher specs than the c500 but id rather have a basic 50mbit broadcast ready, in camera 1080p from a lovely small package than have to cart around a 'wheel around' flightcase full of all the modules and hard disks for the f55.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1351645354' post='20676']
thing is, no one can touch the c300 c500 for handling. they are lovely, compact, all in one units that smash out their broadcast legit signal into cf cards. own one of these and you can hire it out week in, week out when not using it yourself. it'll pay for itself. After being in close contact with the c300 a few times, briefly using one I fell in love. sony can reel out loads of higher specs than the c500 but id rather have a basic 50mbit broadcast ready, in camera 1080p from a lovely small package than have to cart around a 'wheel around' flightcase full of all the modules and hard disks for the f55.
[/quote]

I gotta agree with this. If somebody offered me a C300, i definitely wouldn't slap them like an angry frenchman. The media needed to use 4k on these cameras is brand exclusive and very expensive, & that's the one's that do it internally.. I can hate on Canon all day for their prices, but that's only because other manufacturers are giving me a leg to stand on... Truth is, the Cinema EOS line is f--king rad if you're not thinking about the price tag. It comes with a monitor, the way it works the sensor owns rolling shutter, Canons are friggin killer in low light, and the way they see color has always been one of my favorite things about them. You can go to Best Buy and get CF cards all day. It's ready to give you an awesome image right off the bat and i think that counts for a lot. It doesn't sound very professional at all to say you enjoy shooting on a C300 because it's "easy", but hell it is.

The problem is (once again) -
-things like raw for $3k on ssd's with 12 bit.
-Possible $15,000 16bit cinealta camera with 4k output, cures cancer, etc.
-$700 camera you can hack with a 160+ bitrate & access to every lens on Gods green earth with the right adapter.
-there are more...for less..

I hate it they took a 42% hit this last year.. I don't wish ill-will on anyone, but they have to know why...

3rd here for the C300's usability. I've been on FS700 and C300 a lot recently. C300 is the most worry-free camcorder I've ever used. So easy you actually have to check sometimes to make sure you haven't missed something! Nope you haven't, it just works. Always leaves a grin on my face.