Which MAC to get for post-production with BMC?

milandirector

Hi,

I have a deal to get macbook pro with retina display, and I m wondering if the 2.6 version with 16 G or RAM would be enough for the BMC postproduction with RAW DNG files - for editing on Premiere and color correction on new Resolve, or do I have to wait for the new iMac 3.6 i7 with 32 G or RAM (iMac also has option for a much better graphic card)?
Also is Cuda working on either of these machines?

Thanks a lot for your insights.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Yes but if you are inexperienced putting together your own PC, forget it. Hackintosh is really great if you know what you're doing but can also cause you to pull your hair out trying to figure out what's going wrong when things do.

I have a MBP and love it. It's a late 2009 model so doesn't perform that well but the portability outweighs any speed issues I have. I do all my VFX and 3D work (Maya, Modo, AE, Nuke, Moca, etc) on it when I'm doing quick freelance jobs from home. It can be a little painful at times but I get by. The thing with 3D and VFX work is that while you are working, you rarely "Need" things to be real-time. Usually, you work in lower res and basic shaded view and render out previews. This isn't really the same as when editing footage though. However, when editing, you are rarely using the original footage anyway. so, there are tradeoffs to be made.

As far as grading and editing in my workflow, there's really not that much of an issue for me. I use the free version of Resolve, Final Cut Pro X and Premiere Pro 6 all without to much of an issue. They can be pokey at times on this old machine but I'm used to it now. This is all on 1080/720p AVCHD and ProRes movies however, and not 2.5k raw files. I did download and play with the BMCC 'Pool Shark' files a while back. They don't play in real time at all. This doesn't prevent me from grading but it does mean I have to wait a few milliseconds for updates if I have more then one node. But this is all related to my machine...

I do have a friend who as the same machine you mentioned and I had a chance to use it a few weeks ago to do some super basic exposure correction of some footage in Resolve. This was with the AVCHD files from my camera that we had shot earlier that day. It was silky smooth compared my machine and really made me want to upgrade. So yes, I think it would be fine for what you are needing. However if you are super picky about realtime playback of Raw files, then this might be an issue for you.

It's generally recommended not to edit with the RAW files anyway. Usually you grade in Resolve and then export out to ProRes. You can even generate Proxies at the same time as you output your masters. Then you can edit the footage all speedy and slick in final cut or premiere.

@ galenb

Wow, I appreciate your post very much. I m afarid to bulid my own hackintosh as I didn't use PCs in about 5 years (since I discovered MACs).
I m still pretty much a novice with RAW editing and the BMC workflows. I m used to edit 1080p AVCHD files with FCP 7, and I want to move top premiere pro CS6 and to learn to colour with resolve.. So this all is pretty new to me. As I m waiting for the BMC camera I would love to used it's full potential the 2.5K (only for fictional films that I m hoping for possible limited cinema releases - for the rest I would be happy to use pro res).
For these fictional projects I do not need quick turnaround, so I don't mind waiting for longer rendering or if it is not exactly real time editing/colouring as long as it works.
So it is possible to downgrade 2.5K to smaller files, do an offline edit, and colouring and than export it back to it's original resolution?
I m sorry for these novice questions, but I m still learning.

[quote name='milandirector' timestamp='1351797249' post='20808']
@ galenb

Wow, I appreciate your post very much. I m afarid to bulid my own hackintosh as I didn't use PCs in about 5 years (since I discovered MACs).
I m still pretty much a novice with RAW editing and the BMC workflows. I m used to edit 1080p AVCHD files with FCP 7, and I want to move top premiere pro CS6 and to learn to colour with resolve.. So this all is pretty new to me. As I m waiting for the BMC camera I would love to used it's full potential the 2.5K (only for fictional films that I m hoping for possible limited cinema releases - for the rest I would be happy to use pro res).
For these fictional projects I do not need quick turnaround, so I don't mind waiting for longer rendering or if it is not exactly real time editing/colouring as long as it works.
So it is possible to downgrade 2.5K to smaller files, do an offline edit, and colouring and than export it back to it's original resolution?
I m sorry for these novice questions, but I m still learning.
[/quote]

Yes absolutely. This is called the "Proxy" workflow. You load up the 2.5k raw images into Resolve, Grade them how you like and then export as ProRes files. When you do this, you can tell Resolve to generate lower res proxy files. I've never had to do this before myself though so I can't tell you how actually use the proxy's once you start editing. In After Effects, you can specify the Proxy in the project manager and it's pretty straight forward. Another option that's a lot more automatic is that in Premiere Pro, you can just lower the playback resolution to 1/2, 1/4,1/8, etc. so that you can play back larger then HD frames and still have smooth playback. I've done this before while working with 3k Scarlet footage recently and it works fine. Especially since my monitor isn't even high enough resolution to see the full 3k footage, there's no use in setting it to full resolution.