RED PRICING Important Announcement

FilmMan

It depends on what you're doing with it I suppose.

No question that it is nowhere near as stealthy as the BMD and obviously there is a resultant impact there on camera support. The tripod issue being one thing but also that there's no way you're going to get a RED ONE on a budget stabiliser. The 19mm rods will need an adaptor to use most people's existing rigs. You are also into proprietary media even for the CF module which is another on top expense. Add in the free version of Resolve etc. which is more value for the BMD package. Then there is the ProRes advantage that the BMD has which the RED doesn't but then the RED does have a well established easy workflow for RAW.

I would certainly think that it should give people pause for thought though and have a serious look at what they've got now (camera support,accessories etc.) and how they are really going to be working.

Might be a very close call for some.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just to put some meat on the bones of those media costs, the RED MAG 128Gig SSD is approx £775+VAT whereas the Kingston 128Gig SSD on BMD's approved list is approx £75+VAT.

The proprietary RED SSD reader is an additional £140+VAT whereas the generic SSD>USB3 dock for the Kingston is around £20+VAT

128Gig on a RED ONE MX will get you just over an hour at 4.5K at the optimum compression so its likely that a lot of people would want more than one.

As for the CF module, the cost per minute is even higher thanks to each 16Gig card costing £185+VAT

Don't get me wrong, even with the media costs the overall package is still - relatively speaking - a bargain but the cost to get it going might prove prohibitive for anyone who is stretching to the BMD.

I find Jim Jannard's behavior of sudden co-incidences, very suspicion arousing.

It must a celestial superball event, greater than any, Ever, that Both, a truckload of Red one cameras were ordered by someone (whose name, was conveniently NOT disclosed), ONLY for lease, for some film, and then were given back, after the shoot. Also, Jim did not tell him, How many TruckLoads of cameras were ordered by this great incumbent.

AND

That, suddenly RED Seems to have realised, that, their investments on their Entire Range, SIMULTANEOUSLY has been recovered, and so are offering discounts, reducing they prices to half of their original prices.

Oh, yes, another co-incidence, is that they have (suddenly) built an incredibly efficient factory in Irvine, California, fund better suppliers,lowered assembly costs etc etc. ([size=4][font=courier new', courier, monospace]We have built an incredibly efficient factory in Irvine, California and over time learned how to make EPICs in quantity, lowered our assembly costs, found better suppliers and fully paid off our NRE. When we assembled the 1st EPIC camera in Stage 6 at RED Studios Hollywood it took our team 12 hours. It took two more days to de-bug. Today we can assemble an EPIC in 13 minutes and 95+% need no re-work after diagnostics and testing. It is a testament to our manufacturing team and supply chain teams.[/font][/size][color=#444444][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][i])[/i][/size][/font][/color]

I don't know how the RED guys do it, but, their stream of co-incidences, never end.

Maybe, they should be re-christened Co-Incidence Cameras, instead of RED Cameras.

Regardless of the coincidence drive stolen from Red dwarf If they can sell the Red one at £2500 and still make a profit although could be just clearing the stock You have to ask why Sony Canon and Panasonic are selling theirs at £15000.

One thing I like about Jim Jannard is he's up front and offers hope. Of course technology has moved on and prices are cheaper He concedes that and his response is to go with the market expectation. That is good business regardless of the reasons they did it.

It sucks the One MX is end of life... But such is life... No Dragon upgrade, the dinosaur.. Lol.

That's a hell of a camera for $4000. Didn't it utilize an external red drive you could get that was 320gbs at one time? It was the only one that's done that right?.... Red Mags are ridiculous, and a Red exclusive 16gb CF card sounds like a waste of the 5 minutes you'd get out of it at 4k... Don't really understand the logic of formatting the drive so it only takes Red CF cards or the fact that they're only 16gb... But they must be badass to be like $300 each. (Don't quote me.) To me though, going through the "red stuff for sale" thread, i've seen MX packages with the works going from $5-12k depending on the miles.. The external 320gb drive sounds like the way to go if someone had one for sale..

As far as Epic and Scarlet are concerned, the rental price may go down substantially now. I knew I probably still wouldn't be able to afford an Epic or a Scarlet system, but an Epic might not be $2000 a day to rent now!! Other than that, I'm pretty sure most people are more concerned about getting ahold of a $4000 Red One now that they're realistic... Which begs the question: since the only available units for sale are battle tested, wtf were they selling a couple of days ago for $25,000? Lol

Hey.. I'm sure nothing will be good enough until it is 38k resolution or whatever according to Red, but not for a few years at least, lol. If they sold nothing but Red One MX's for $4000 until then, i'm sure they'd claim the market for a long time... Plenty of major productions have used Red One's. i don't even need to name drop.

'Battle Tested' is Red's way of saving face and not having to say 'we are selling these off cheap! '
its all sales talk to make you think you are getting something of value.....

and at $4000 it's one hell of a Hollywood hit movie camera ! a bargin

now how much will the second hand Red One market drop to on ebay etc????..... $2500 ish????

[quote name='andy lee' timestamp='1351858576' post='20865']
'Battle Tested' is Red's way of saving face and not having to say 'we are selling these off cheap! '

now how much will the second hand Red One market drop to on ebay etc????..... $2500 ish????
[/quote]

There are some on ebay.co.uk at the moment that are going to have to seriously re-adjust their expectations thats for sure.

Non modded RED ONE Ms (of which they are still many) are now not economically viable to upgrade to MX as its cheaper to buy the MX so the massive bargain might well be buying an M (which is still one hell of a camera) off someone who wants to upgrade to an MX.

[quote name='Bioskop.Inc' timestamp='1351821157' post='20838']
And you'd buy a BMC instead of a RED One MX for what reason exactly?
[/quote]

Have you ever used one? Great camera but an absolute beast. I shoot nature, predominently. The thought of carrying a kitted out R1 up a mountain trail is not something i want to do again. Add to that - lack of QT, less DR, proprietry media.

If you are studio based, or have really great support gear and an AC built like a tank, then it is a stunning, stunning deal though. The image quality is undeniable.

Talking pricing here, not specs.

Canon 1DX sells for around $6500, and the Canon 1DC $13000. Cost to produce is probaby very close. Yet $6500 difference.

Scarlet sells for roughly $8000 and Epic is $20000. Roughly $12000 difference. Cost to produce is probably very close. Yet $12000 price difference.

[i][b]Preserving selling prices as long as you can to maximize profits? [/b][/i]

Something to think about.

Thumbs up for Red to lower prices. Will pricing be coming down further in the near future as more competition enters the picture?

[quote name='ScreensPro' timestamp='1351862390' post='20869']
Have you ever used one? Great camera but an absolute beast. I shoot nature, predominently. The thought of carrying a kitted out R1 up a mountain trail is not something i want to do again. Add to that - lack of QT, less DR, proprietry media.

If you are studio based, or have really great support gear and an AC built like a tank, then it is a stunning, stunning deal though. The image quality is undeniable.
[/quote]

No, but was about to hire one out & now i'll wait, as the rental price will have to come down.
And definitely not practical for mountain climbs, but thats not my thing.
I was mulling over the BMC, but would never buy v.1. And also, it still hasn't shipped yet which might suggest they are tweaking things - if they're sensible, that is.

Got my eye on the Digital Bolex - who are making loads of interesting adjustments before actually releasing their product.

I just think these are interesting times - recession=competition war=price drops.
Really think there's more to come!
Going to hold onto my cash for a bit longer & not jump headlong into the abyss just yet.

[quote name='Bioskop.Inc' timestamp='1351872067' post='20879']
but thats not my thing.
[/quote]

Yep, if you are in the right enviroment for such a camera, you are not gonna get a better deal. S35, RAW, 12+ DR, decent low light, 4.5K, slo-mo modes..... Deal of the century!

I just worry that all these guys jumping for BMCC are in for a hell of a shock when they see one fully kitted. Some people i know think they are not much bigger and heavier than, say, an F3.

My advice is to rent or at least go and see one at the rental shop before you leap in.

(I should keep quiet actually, more R1 owners = less wait for my BMCC)

Its all about what happens next year & for me its a waiting game.

Do i want a RED? Yes! Do i need a RED? No!
Its the same with 2k & 4k.

Just rent, as it'll be dirt cheap.

I just love a good scrap!
Its going to be amusing watching them beat themselves silly over pricing.
Sit back & enjoy the show!

Fotodiox do an adapter for Canon FD lenses.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Camera/dp/B003EB0H5U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Camera/dp/B003EB0H5U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/url]

There are some very mixed reviews about it though.

For $30 its probably worth having a look at if you have a lot of FD lenses that you want to use but I suspect you would be better off using the saving on the camera to hoover up some Nikon lenses.

[quote name='andy lee' timestamp='1351858576' post='20865']

[/quote]

I thought "Battle tested" what RED's way of saying they were refurbished?

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1351979838' post='20980']
I thought "Battle tested" what RED's way of saying they were refurbished?
[/quote]

I would expect that the majority (if not all) will be ones that have come back in through the EPIC upgrade offers so they will have been used.

What refurbishment means in terms of cosmetic condition I'm not sure but I bought a 'Battle Tested' prime off RED and I would say that if it was in a battle then it must have been hiding inside a tank at that time as it was immaculate !