RED PRICING Important Announcement

FilmMan

[url="http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?87903-Contemplation/page2"]http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?87903-Contemplation/page2[/url]
Jim Talk

[i]Not really. We have paid off the NRE, have figured out how to make EPICs for less. Everything we do is for our customers. [size=5][color=#FF0000][b] I guess I would bet on us to do the very best we can to put cameras in the hands of as many as possible[/b][/color].[/size]

Not much more complicated than that.

Jim[/i]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[color=#FF0000][b]Scarlet brains is $9700.00 currently.[/b][/color]

[b]The Scarlet is virtually the same as an Epic in cost??? [/b]

[b]Jim states their NRE is paid for the Epic.[/b]
[b] [/b]
[b]They are profiting with a $9700 price on the Scarlet.[/b]

[b]Hmmm...[/b]

4k for $3k... Lol.

Hey... If they can supply the demand with a steady flow of parts now, why the hell not.. Specs are awesome.. There are killer cinema cameras
Popping up like dandelions this year, each one $15,000 or so. Red One's are going used for (no shit, i saw this) - $5,000 on up in the "Red Stuff for Sale" thread on Reduser.. (Probably had 900,000 hours on it... Or a rich DP that cheated on his wife.).

Point here, is at the end of the day, it's still about the price. It's a big old world... And i guess there must be a lot more people in it that can toss out $15,000 for a cinema camera than i assumed, because nobody but Blackmagic Design seemed to care about that gap... (Kineraw maybe... Someday...).

On a side note... 4k for 3k$ might turn some heads.. Aside from the fact that a $3,000 Scarlet wouldn't do anything until $5,000..

Slap!!!! Wake up.

... Sorry but, wtf is up..? No prices. ....reminds me of the mytherapy shootout, lol.. Kinda making it look obvious this was all about the new Sony cameras.. It's like a game of price chess, haha! I guess they didn't think, "Soooo this is great guys!... But what if Sony "doesn't" release their prices?" .....cricket, cricket...

On the other hand... What if they just, came outta nowhere like a ninja warrior & dropped a new camera.. Lol. 2k... Not built like a Transformer.. Has everything you need to make a movie outta the box.. $3k.. Isn't exclusive to just Red media.. (128gb for $x,xxx?... Sheesh.). I tell my nerd buddies that don't make movies how much a 128gb ssd from Red runs, and they shit themselves & spit out their coffee while they try to say, "what the f--k?!?!" The Red One used 320gb drives and such..

Germy1979, good one "price chess."

It could turn out as price dominoes?

Sony could take the charge and do something as BlackMagic has. It is appearing their ulterior agenda is becoming clear? I hope I'm wrong but this is starting to remind me of an episode of the defunct series "Lost" ...

It seems company doesn't want to leave any money on the table? I'm starting to become more sold on the BMC...maybe Red will surprise?

[quote name='FilmMan' timestamp='1351646811' post='20678']
Germy1979, good one "price chess."

It could turn out as price dominoes?

Sony could take the charge and do something as BlackMagic has. It is appearing their ulterior agenda is becoming clear? I hope I'm wrong but this is starting to remind me of an episode of the defunct series "Lost" ...

It seems company doesn't want to leave any money on the table? I'm starting to become more sold on the BMC...maybe Red will surprise?
[/quote]

That's where i think the term "game changer" hits home for the rest of us... There's a market for high end prices and specs like F5's, 55's, Etc.. But it sure as hell isn't as big as the market that can't afford it... I don't think a single one of us has a doubt that every camera announced is gonna be a technological break through bad ass... That's not even our concern... Okay, it's awesome.. How much is it? ......never mind.

If anybody wants to change the game, look at the giant elephant in the room that cuts Raw 12bit for $3k and start at your price tag.

[size=4][b]The cost to manufacturer the Scarlet and the Epic is probably identical or very close (see spec *link). [u]Red is making a profit charging $9100 for a Scarlet.[/u] The Epic's price $30K to $40K is as Jannard stated, "now making an obscene amount of profit" from the Epic. [/b][/size]

[size=4][b]*Below is a link to the specs for the Red's. [/b][/size]

[url="http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?70447-Differences-between-Scarlet-Red-One-and-Epic-Tech-Specs-Side-by-Side-Chart"]http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?70447-Differences-between-Scarlet-Red-One-and-Epic-Tech-Specs-Side-by-Side-Chart[/url]

[b][color=#ff0000][i]Jannard says, "We have learned how to make EPICs in quantity, lowered our assembly costs, found better suppliers and paid off our NRE. That means we can continue to charge the same for an EPIC (and now make an obscene amount of profit) or lower the price...We could easily pretend and invent a new model to justify a lower price with higher performance. You are too smart for that. So are we. Instead... we will just lower the price of EPIC."[/i][/color][/b]

When i see these comments from Jim regarding Red announcements, it's 9 times out of 10 a reaction release to somebody else's product at the same time. The original plan for Scarlet was 3k for $3k.. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but if i had to speculate, Canon was releasing a cinema line with a huge hype...much like Sony just did.. Red, not to be outdone, had to shit or get off the pot i suppose since the Scarlet wound up competing price wise with the C300. They had a bunch of Epic sensors they say didn't make the cut for an Epic. So suddenly, it was, "3k sucks.. This is 2011... Scarlet will be 4k." Which just seemed like, "we gotta get something else out there in this price range before Canon drops. What can we do with what we have?" The cameras they have are absolutely killer... Do i think they need to drop the price of a Scarlet so low it competes with the BMC? ..of course i do!! But that's wishful bullshit.. Lol.. because the Scarlet is still one hell of a camera with a dragon update coming. I'd really, really like to see them make a camera like i was talking about above though to fill that gap... They just don't need to. A 2k camera ready to go out of the box from Red. Why not?

The Scarlet was announced the same day as the C300. They never knew how to make a 3k camera for $3K, so they released a stripped down version of the camera they already had for more than 4x as much as the Scarlet was supposed to cost. Now they're making time while they figure out how to respond to Sony's announcements.

[indent][i]There is a conflict in my posts about when we will post the new pricing structure. In one post I said Nov. 1st and in another post I said Oct. 31st.

The correct date is [u][b][color=#ff0000]Nov. 1st and at about 5pm PST.[/color][/b][/u]

Sorry for the confusion.

Jim[/i][/indent]
[b][color=#ff0000]RED PRICING: NOVEMBER 1, 2012 [/color][/b]

Never gonna happen. Red has been shitting on 2K ever since their birth 6 yrs ago... only 4K or 5K RAW will succeed in their view. The fact that they're $15K and $50K camera offerings completely disrupted the market when no competitors yet existed meant that they could sit back and focus on trying to meet mfr'ing demand while not worrying about what they would want to charge down the road. It's funny how a little competition changes everything. Red, Sony and Canon will now duke it out for 4K market share and they will ultimately find themselves achieving bouyancy in a new pricing tier. It's very possible that this new price tier will arrive in the Indie shooter space sooner than many of us expect, especially considering the pressure that BMCC is bringing into the bottom tier of the RAW film making market. There is alot of room for movement with Red, just look at how much they upcharge for their media and monitors... they have incredible margins at the moment and a lot of room to move. Black Magic is probably just one announcement away from stealing a ton of market share from all the big boys if they can deliver on S35, ergos and compressed RAW. Of course they still have to deliver on the BMCC version 1 first.

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1351723831' post='20738']
... I'd really, really like to see them make a camera like i was talking about above though to fill that gap... They just don't need to. A 2k camera ready to go out of the box from Red. Why not?
[/quote]

new Red Prices
pasted from Jim's Thread:

As I said before, everything in the electronics world changes... usually for the better, cheaper and faster. EPIC and Scarlet just did. Right now.

We have built an incredibly efficient factory in Irvine, California and over time learned how to make EPICs in quantity, lowered our assembly costs, found better suppliers and fully paid off our NRE. When we assembled the 1st EPIC camera in Stage 6 at RED Studios Hollywood it took our team 12 hours. It took two more days to de-bug. Today we can assemble an EPIC in 13 minutes and 95+% need no re-work after diagnostics and testing. It is a testament to our manufacturing team and supply chain teams.

Since our costs are now significantly lower we are re-pricing our cameras as of now.

For those of you that purchased a new Scarlet or EPIC brain on or after Oct. 1st 2012, the next time you order accessories from RED you will receive a discount to use towards that purchase. $1000 for Scarlet and $4000 for EPIC. Talk to your Bomb Squad representative when you are ready to use this discount.

Now… here is the new pricing:

5K EPIC-X Brain- $19,000

5K EPIC-X Monochrome Brain- $20,000

5K EPIC-M Brain- $24,000

5K/4K Scarlet Brain- $7,950

4.5K RED ONE M-X Battle Tested- $4000 (includes CF or SSD recording module). The RED ONE is End of Life. Battle tested is all that will be available from here on out.

Due to high anticipated volumes, plan on extended response and processing times.

Dragon sensor upgrade is not included for any EPIC system purchased at the new pricing going forward.

Pricing is being updated on [url="http://www.red.com/"]www.red.com[/url] as I post this.

Jim

[quote name='OzNimbus' timestamp='1351815938' post='20825']
That's very promising.. can u addi a third party monitor? Suggestions?

How tough is it to post process the footage?
[/quote]

Its got an HDMI port so the choice is obviously massive. Something like the 7" Lilliput for £140 ish would be a start but you could go up a Zacuto EVF and still be getting a good deal overall with the base price of the camera.

Workflow is nowhere near the chore it was when the RED ONE was launched and both Premiere and FCP-X can now handle the R3D files directly. Because its now a relatively mature system, you won't be short of tutorials to help you along.

Such as this one [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vkR8frpyjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vkR8frpyjw[/url]

Be prepared to budget for a new tripod though....

at this price its a better buy than a Black Magic Cinema Camera
4k for 2500 pounds!! unreal!!
This is the camera that shot many Hollywood Feature Films like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - David Fincher etc etc

If I had put my money down on a BMC and its still not delivered I would ask for a refund and get a Red One MX any day!!

Red have most definately priced the RED ONE MX to steal BMC's thunder !!

Redmx pricing! Wow! I'll hand it to Red, they are true business people. He did lower the Epic and the Scarlet but he left alot of room to lower further. Awesome pricing with the Redmx. He is taking business away from the competition and/or affecting their margins. Competition WAR baby! You gotta luv it!