Interview with Canon's Mike Burnhill on the Canon 1D C 4K DSLR

Andrew Reid

[quote name='riccardocovino' timestamp='1351182245' post='20290']
So you need to offence someone you don't know, saying "Idiot" is your way of defending ideas?
What a pity someone has always to turn talks into a defence of his poor self estimation.

Some guys you never heard of?

[url="http://www.bruceweber.com/"]http://www.bruceweber.com[/url]
[url="http://www.gregfoto.com/"]http://www.gregfoto.com/[/url]

It's not my fault if you don't know worldwide famous photographers, just your ignorance, but it's clear you don't want to learn something from anybody, mr. Richg-Kubrick.
Anyway if you think that BBC will start buying dozens of Canon 1DC for news make yourself a favour, become a dealer and get lots of money.
I'll be happy for you.
[/quote]

Kubrick is the best film maker of all time. he followed his own opinion, didn't let people ruin his vision. This is why he created some of the best cinema ever. I found your assumption idiotic that just because Red paid (maybe not with money but with free cameras) a pair of names to endorse their products you use that as an example of the red scarlet being a contender against a full frame stills camera. if that isn't idiotic I don't know what is. I'm sorry if you got offended. But I found it quite offensive that you came into the topic claiming the Red scarlet is a direct competitor to this. When they are completely different. I'd chose the scarlet over this (if I needed 4k scripted cinema only), but would chose the 1dc if I needed both stills and video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks for interview.
But it really did not explain anything. Mr Burnhill was dodging questions...anyway WHY there is no internal 4:2:2 recording in Full HD/2K if there is in 4K.??
Why was NOT bottom part of camera(holding batteries) redesigned to accomodate XLR/SDI inputs.
If this is High End camera why no peaking if ML has got it.
For that money i will start saving for NEW F3.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Alright, sorry for being snotty but I didn't really care for your tone. I don't understand why you are talking about 24p @ 4K though. My comment was referring Andrew's original comment about how the 1DC lacks 25p (in any resolution. it's just totally gone) and how Canon seems to be taking some kind of stand on 25p. As if it has no future or something. I was saying, if they are going to get rid of 25p, please oh please get rid of 30p because I hate it. And then you said something about how 24p is the only option for 4k? I don't know how that ties into what I was talking about?[/font][/color]

[quote name='ScreensPro' timestamp='1351162800' post='20270']
Are you serious? The C100 looks to be a fantastic camera for anyone who is actually doing real camera work and not under the assumption that you need 4K/120p/RAW to do anything of substance.
[/quote]

You don't NEED more than a T2i really to do anything of substance. Hell, you don't even need that. The point is that spec/price ratio is completely out of balance. Drawing logic from other cameras price/performance ratio (BMCC, GoPro, GH3) a C100 even WITH 60fps in 1080p is only worth about $1500... IF THAT.

It's not that a C100 can't be used for anything... it's a question of why?
Why shoot to an external recorder when the technology exists for internal RAW recording at $3000?
Why shoot to a GARBAGE 24mb/s AVCHD codec... when there are hybrids like the GH3 that are capable of 80mb/s Intra-frame recording for 1/5 the cost?
Why is there no 60fps in even 720p when $400 toys like the GP3 can do 120fps?
And then, if you can afford the $6000 investment, why not just spend a teeny-bit more and go for the FS700 and get yourself a mind-boggling more flexible camera in terms of frame-rates and res-output?

You have to be a blind, non-critical thinker, who's terrible with money/investments, to even entertain the idea of a C100 purchase for more than 3 seconds. It's only appeal, is to the older "professional" elite crowd, that still thinks "bigger cameras" make them seem more professional... and the extreme-newbies who came into cinematography in the last year and think everything must be shot on canon cameras. It's a joke.

For under $5k I can get a BMCC and a GH3 that will allow me to record high-quality 2.5k 13-stop footage, to EITHER RAW or ProRes, up to 30fps... AND an amazing B/Utility-cam, that get's me great quality 60fps footage and allows for a lighter/quicker setup for certain jobs.

For $6k in canon's "pro" world, I get ONE camera that maxes out at 30fps, has lower than cell-phone quality AVCHD at a measly 24mb/s rate... and... well, that about it.

It's a no brainier to any sane individual. The only reason I'm being so aggressive about it, is because supporting terribly spec'ed cameras from canon just creates slower, more stagnation, in the industry. We need to be moving forward, not applauding them for a camera that should have been available 8 year ago. People need to stop this elitist-ego driven "well if you do REAL work, you can afford it" attitude. It's getting real old, and it's an emotional-ego driven argument, not a logical one.

[quote name='ScreensPro' timestamp='1351162800' post='20270']
...and not under the assumption that you need 4K/120p/RAW to do anything of substance.
[/quote]

Well, you know what... to me, I DO need these things... and it's up to INDIVIDUALS to decide this. Not industry unions, not "pros", not anyone. I don't just shoot corporate interview and promo pieces. I'd like to PUSH the boundaries of what's artistically possible of myself, as well as my equipment. And when done right, this can lead to MANY more opportunities and higher-paying jobs than those who are shooting "standard" projects because they don't feel like anyone "needs" to make anything better. There is NO QUESTION that the flexibility of higher-frame rates and RAW coloring can potentially push my pieces above and beyond what most people feel the "standard" is.

In the end, I think people are just afraid of the competition, and are desperately trying to standardize these sub-standard tools in order to control competition.

[quote name='bwhitz' timestamp='1351214013' post='20325']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's a no brainier to any sane individual. The only reason I'm being so aggressive about it, is because supporting terribly spec'ed cameras from canon just creates slower, more stagnation, in the industry. We need to be moving forward, not applauding them for a camera that should have been available 8 year ago. People need to stop this elitist-ego driven "well if you do REAL work, you can afford it" attitude. It's getting real old, and it's an emotional-ego driven argument, not a logical one.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I agree with this statement whole heartily, well said.

You have to be a blind, non-critical thinker, who's terrible with money/investments, to even entertain the idea of a C100 purchase for more than 3 seconds.
[/quote]

I'm still waiting to test one, but if it has an image similar to the C300, I will make my investment back in 3-6 months... Easily.

The cameras you mentioned (I have a BMCC on pre-order btw) are great but they are not designed for fast paced, ENG style work or even cinematic shooting out of the box.... they all need alot of kit to get them up to the C100 level of professional shooting. You moan about needing an external recorder but seem more than happy to have to accomodate and pay for a mattebox and interchanable ND filters (variable NDs do not cut it, for me).

If you were shooting a wedding.... What would you prefer... a C100 or some frankenrig of a GH3, BMCC or, most laughably, the Go-Pro you mentioned?

It is not for you, fine... Don't pin your views onto everyone else though and think we are stupid for wanting NDs, XLRs, pro I/Os and various other pro features that simply don't come with the budget cameras you mention.

Horses for courses. I've not always agreed with Andrew Reid, but at least he saw the potential of the C100 and didn't bash it into the ground.

Well, you know what... to me, I DO need these things... and it's up to INDIVIDUALS to decide this.
[/quote]

Guess what... I'm an individual too and for certain work, i need what i consider to be professional tools. It is not being elitist, I just have to have NDs, XLRs etc. It speeds up my work, saves me time and money and is quite fail safe. Individual needs.

I'm not partisan to Canon. If BMCC make an ENG style camera for $2000.. happy days. But until anyone does... I HAVE to use what works in a professional enviroment and the C100 ticks alot of boxes and produces better IQ than the AF100 that I have been using for such work.

If you need 4K/RAW/120fps, go buy/rent an Epic or even a 2nd hand R1-MX... It's here, its priced well, it works well... What are you doing on here talking about GoPro and C100?... The camera with the specs you need to shoot your feature on is here, right now. Get to work, make it happen.

Don't blame companies for not allowing your dream to happen, it is up to you to go and make the money to buy the specs you want.

Seems the thread has kind'a left the 1D C, but while I'm all for good stuff cross-pollinating any and all cameras, preferably at a lower and lower price - the 1D C is and will be a niche product, and it seems Canon has clearly made it's mind up about targeting it for the "cinema market" which means the following in my humble opinion:

a) No need for XLR's - Who records "cinema" sync sound to camera? This market is and will be dual system sound, always.
B) 30 fps would be nice to have as an option. It's quite a useful subtle degree of overcrank that seems doable given the specs.
c) 25fps should be added, more as pointed out above because of shooting conditions in 50Hz electrical land, than because of the very small amount of "cinema" being shot at 25 fps.
d) True 24 is a must, as opposed to the "telecine for interlaced NTSC" rate of 23.98. I don't see how they can do without it if they are really going for the "cinema market".
e) It needs some way to jam sync the TC. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that their intended implementation of TC is a rec run or free run of whatever you set the cameras internal clock to using the menu buttons. The best thing would be if the camera's internal clock would be accurate enough to only have to jam sync as a slave every 4 or 5 hours. I have a feeling this will not happen. If so, I would say this would be THE ONE MAJOR shortcoming - possibly paired with the omission of a true 24pfs framerate - that is if they are targeting the "pro cinema market".

My 2 euro cents,

J

You don't NEED more than a T2i really to do anything of substance. Hell, you don't even need that. The point is that spec/price ratio is completely out of balance. Drawing logic from other cameras price/performance ratio (BMCC, GoPro, GH3) a C100 even WITH 60fps in 1080p is only worth about $1500... IF THAT.

It's not that a C100 can't be used for anything... it's a question of why?
Why shoot to an external recorder when the technology exists for internal RAW recording at $3000?
Why shoot to a GARBAGE 24mb/s AVCHD codec... when there are hybrids like the GH3 that are capable of 80mb/s Intra-frame recording for 1/5 the cost?
Why is there no 60fps in even 720p when $400 toys like the GP3 can do 120fps?
And then, if you can afford the $6000 investment, why not just spend a teeny-bit more and go for the FS700 and get yourself a mind-boggling more flexible camera in terms of frame-rates and res-output?

You have to be a blind, non-critical thinker, who's terrible with money/investments, to even entertain the idea of a C100 purchase for more than 3 seconds. It's only appeal, is to the older "professional" elite crowd, that still thinks "bigger cameras" make them seem more professional... and the extreme-newbies who came into cinematography in the last year and think everything must be shot on canon cameras. It's a joke.

For under $5k I can get a BMCC and a GH3 that will allow me to record high-quality 2.5k 13-stop footage, to EITHER RAW or ProRes, up to 30fps... AND an amazing B/Utility-cam, that get's me great quality 60fps footage and allows for a lighter/quicker setup for certain jobs.

For $6k in canon's "pro" world, I get ONE camera that maxes out at 30fps, has lower than cell-phone quality AVCHD at a measly 24mb/s rate... and... well, that about it.

It's a no brainier to any sane individual. The only reason I'm being so aggressive about it, is because supporting terribly spec'ed cameras from canon just creates slower, more stagnation, in the industry. We need to be moving forward, not applauding them for a camera that should have been available 8 year ago. People need to stop this elitist-ego driven "well if you do REAL work, you can afford it" attitude. It's getting real old, and it's an emotional-ego driven argument, not a logical one.

Well, you know what... to me, I DO need these things... and it's up to INDIVIDUALS to decide this. Not industry unions, not "pros", not anyone. I don't just shoot corporate interview and promo pieces. I'd like to PUSH the boundaries of what's artistically possible of myself, as well as my equipment. And when done right, this can lead to MANY more opportunities and higher-paying jobs than those who are shooting "standard" projects because they don't feel like anyone "needs" to make anything better. There is NO QUESTION that the flexibility of higher-frame rates and RAW coloring can potentially push my pieces above and beyond what most people feel the "standard" is.

In the end, I think people are just afraid of the competition, and are desperately trying to standardize these sub-standard tools in order to control competition.
[/quote]

Firstly let me tell you are IDIOT.
Secondly why?
Answer this for yourself if you are NOT!

While I'm not a moderator and probably have no business saying this, I feel compelled to anyway:
Personal attacks or even simply calling someone an idiot is not something that need to happen in public. I don't really think anyone here wants to read this kind of stuff. while it's true that if you don't like it, you don't have to read it, I just think it's generally in bad taste in the first place. If you really feel like you need to tell someone off, if they are really and truly being an idiot, please consider doing it in private message. That way, you can yell and scream and each other until you are blue in the face and no one has to know about it. I realize that you don't get the instant gratification of publicly calling someone out or exposing fools for what they are so that everyone knows just how stupid they are... But consider this: That's really just food for your ego and you don't actually need that to survive.

By the way, if you really just an angry person and want to rip someone a new hole, head over to [url="http://www.personal-view.com"]http://www.personal-...onal-view.com[/url]
They seem to love that kind of stuff there.

[quote name='FilmMan' timestamp='1351096501' post='20228']
Andrew, Right on!

When a company is an industry leader, it should not only keep their current clients happy, but try to steer competitor clients onto their boat. The 5D3 could have been way more. 4 to 5 years for a few extras? Look at the $400 Hero 2.7K camera! Do they think the consumer is that stupid? I like Canon products but today's market is different. Change with the times. Don't wait for the times to change you. Cheers.
[/quote]https://www.facebook.com/CanonStopTapDancingAndUpdateTheC300?ref=hl