Interview with Canon's Mike Burnhill on the Canon 1D C 4K DSLR

Andrew Reid

Yeah man! Asking the right question! And is good to know that a company like canon still thinks their indie/pro market is completely dumb!

April 2013 to release the new firmware for MKIII. That is a joke! Besides by that time we all will be shooting with BMCC. Images from that camera are just amazing. Really waiting to see the comparisson tomorrow between BMCC, EPIC and F65! Unbelivable camera for that price!

And now here go 1D C overpriced as hell. This should cost $6000-$7000. Not 15k!

I work with a Scarlet daily but is really good to see a camera like BMCC for $3000. Let's hope it solves the sensor issue soon and begin shipping it faster.

Well... 15k for pros. Ok then. Pay it. I'm out.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='Alex Mand' timestamp='1351124665' post='20253']
And now here go 1D C overpriced as hell. This should cost $6000-$7000. Not 15k!
[/quote]

I still think this is WAY too much. All of the 1DC features SHOULD have just been in the 5DIII... and if not, they should have made the "cinema" DSLR the 5DC for $4500. Not the stupid 1D, that barley has a video user base. They just picked the 1DC because it was the most expensive and doubled the price.

Then there is the C100... which is so pathetic, I can't even stand to talk about it with any shred of sanity. Does canon think it's 2005?

There is no other explanation... they are absolutely bat-shit insane. Worst camera manufacturer by a long shot. I hope they go bankrupt.

Excellent Interview. Yes. Make 'em squeal.
This pullquote from EOSHD should be make into a bold with quotation markes around it as it underscores the key reason why a 'global' camera policy needs to be put in place by the consortia of all the camera makers. Interoperability is critical and Canon's failure to address this is a bit worrisome at the pricepoint for a '4K' DSLR.

[b]"[i]For as long as PAL countries use 50hz electrical lighting the technical reasons for shooting 25p in the field are relevant. Even if you sync the shutter (i.e. 1/50) you can not avoid strobing or flickering under many common practical lights and street lighting when shooting 24p. "[/i][/b]

I feel like a Canon junkie on a drip feed. I think Canon think they have all major markets kind of sussed out, does that mean indie film makers are a minority? Its a real slap in the face putting a camera out with no 25p, what? That says to me they begrudgingly put 25p in some of their cameras? I don't understand the explanation or reason given for that either.

Can't wait for next years new camera rumours from other brands.

I think the only company that has squeezed itself to unfortunate attention is JVC with their HMQ10. Not many videos on the web but there are two tests that show amazing detail you almost forget about the compression compared to some of the best HDSLR's at full HD. it does have that weird batch protocol for four files but 8.3 constant megapixels at about 140mbs holds up nice. with an amazing grading artist I can only imagine even better results. with that being said was their mentioned prototype for 35mm lenses and bigger sensor. AND it will be great if they stick to their Nikon mount agenda. it would be an underground project to compete against the whole Canon fan army for less than their 4K 15K camera. such high premiums for 4K at the moment but you do indeed get more detail.

what people always seem to disregard is the politics of the professional field. nowadays it is very rare that a 'professional' product is much better than the consumer version. But still the professionals (people working day in - day out with these pieces of equipment) will buy the professional version. At 15k I know i'd buy it if i was swimming in professional contracts in both fashion photography with the addition of videography. For those in a position, they need to be 'perceived' as professional. -using something a step up from the guys who buy 1dx's for hobbyist wildlife photography (there are lots of wealthy people who do this). There needs to be a product out of reach from the forum people like us. They need to maintain hierarchy and unfortunately this affects us tech heads who want the specs supplied in the most expensive product.

In recent years the internet has created a false sense of self importance amongst hobbyists. The gap between professional and 'know it all' hobbyist has been made to be perceived as very small, when in reality these hobbyists and enthusiasts are and never will be in a position to really need the specs from the 1dc. I try to avoid getting sucked in by all the hype of these cameras but often get bitten and taken in. Canon are in it to make money. They actually make things and sell them for what they deem they are worth. In the professional field the consumer watchdogs are null and void. most people who use one of these will have hired it for a week anyway. the hire firms will lap these up and i know i'd rent one if i needed 4k and a superb stills camera.

Canon is TOTALLY out of market with this product.
Do they know that at the same price you can get a SCARLET?!?

16-bit RAW Processing : Compression choices of 18:1 to 3:1
1-12 fps 5K FF
1-30 fps 4K HD
1-48 fps 3K HD
1-60 fps 1080p HD
1-120 fps 1K

4K RAW and all the specs for making REAL cinema.

Why should I go for a DSLR? Give me one reason, one... (and please don't answer full frame.. cinema is NOT full frame)

[quote name='bwhitz' timestamp='1351125744' post='20254']

Then there is the C100... which is so pathetic, I can't even stand to talk about it with any shred of sanity. Does canon think it's 2005?

[/quote]

Are you serious? The C100 looks to be a fantastic camera for anyone who is actually doing real camera work and not under the assumption that you need 4K/120p/RAW to do anything of substance.

S35, beautiful image, 12 stops DR, amazing low light, HMDI out to the codec of your choice, NDs, XLRs, nice LCD, proper 1080p, no aliasing, no moire. $6k, what's not to like?

[quote name='riccardocovino' timestamp='1351160357' post='20267']
Canon is TOTALLY out of market with this product.
Do they know that at the same price you can get a SCARLET?!?

16-bit RAW Processing : Compression choices of 18:1 to 3:1
1-12 fps 5K FF
1-30 fps 4K HD
1-48 fps 3K HD
1-60 fps 1080p HD
1-120 fps 1K

4K RAW and all the specs for making REAL cinema.

Why should I go for a DSLR? Give me one reason, one... (and please don't answer full frame.. cinema is NOT full frame)
[/quote]

Can the Scarlet shoot proper stills? NO!
Can the Scarlet bet set to 'run and go' with intention of acquisition for news and documentary with simple post workflow? NO!
Can the Scarlet be set to auto mode for fast paced non cinematic documentary stuff? NO!
Would anyone consider a Scarlet for still and motion paparazzi work? NO!

Given it's 4K capability, this camera has two things going for it, setting it apart from the competition - Low light capabilities and form factor. When I say form factor I'm not talking about the ergonomics, but rather the small/stealthy footprint for 4K. This may be enough to make it a successful niche product even at $12.999.

However, in their announcement they have stated that their 24fps is really 23.98fps - this seems strange if they want to position it for the "Cinema" market. True 24 is a must.

Believe it or not, but I have one on preorder...

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1351166474' post='20274']
Can the Scarlet shoot proper stills? NO!
Can the Scarlet bet set to 'run and go' with intention of acquisition for news and documentary with simple post workflow? NO!
Can the Scarlet be set to auto mode for fast paced non cinematic documentary stuff? NO!
Would anyone consider a Scarlet for still and motion paparazzi work? NO!
[/quote]

Can the Scarlet shoot proper stills? YES! - please search before writing, it's so easy, directly on Scarlet's own page, it's widely used for photography on fashion magazines, or Bruce Weber and Greg Williams are stupid folks who don't know their work.

Can the Scarlet bet set to 'run and go' with intention of acquisition for news and documentary with simple post workflow? YES! - a friend of mine is a documentarist using the Scarlet.

Can the Scarlet be set to auto mode for fast paced non cinematic documentary stuff? This one is soo funny! AutoMode is never used by anyone serious.. please! Leave it to GoPro stuff, and by the way, AutoMode is half useless with RAW footage.

Would anyone consider a Scarlet for still and motion paparazzi work? - Paparazzi taking 4K motion video? Are you serious?

For news, run'n'gun, etc they have different stuff that fits the work better.
You really think someone would buy a 4K DSLR 15.000$ worth for recording news?!

[quote name='riccardocovino' timestamp='1351171191' post='20277']
Can the Scarlet shoot proper stills? YES! - please search before writing, it's so easy, directly on Scarlet's own page, it's widely used for photography on fashion magazines, or Bruce Weber and Greg Williams are stupid folks who don't know their work.

Can the Scarlet bet set to 'run and go' with intention of acquisition for news and documentary with simple post workflow? YES! - a friend of mine is a documentarist using the Scarlet.

Can the Scarlet be set to auto mode for fast paced non cinematic documentary stuff? This one is soo funny! AutoMode is never used by anyone serious.. please! Leave it to GoPro stuff, and by the way, AutoMode is half useless with RAW footage.

Would anyone consider a Scarlet for still and motion paparazzi work? - Paparazzi taking 4K motion video? Are you serious?

You really think someone would buy a 4K DSLR 15.000$ worth for recording news?!
[/quote]

Can the Scarlet shoot proper stills? YES! - please search before writing, it's so easy, directly on Scarlet's own page, it's widely used for photography on fashion magazines, or Bruce Weber and Greg Williams are stupid folks who don't know their work. - Wrong. So some guys I have never heard of were given a scarlet for free in exchange for them endorsing it for that purpose. NO ONE ELSE WILL BE DOING THIS! They'll be using either a Canon / Nikon full frame, or a Medium format with digital back. A fucking scarlet on a still shoot in the real world. you fool!

Can the Scarlet bet set to 'run and go' with intention of acquisition for news and documentary with simple post workflow? YES! - a friend of mine is a documentarist using the Scarlet. - Your friend is probably lucky enough to be working on stuff where there is little deadline and they can afford to pay someone to process everything in post. Let me know when the BBC start employing scarlets for documentaries such as Panorama!

Can the Scarlet be set to auto mode for fast paced non cinematic documentary stuff? This one is soo funny! AutoMode is never used by anyone serious.. please! Leave it to GoPro stuff, and by the way, AutoMode is half useless with RAW footage. Assuming you are serious paparazzi who needs to capture exclusive content and get paid for impromtu stuff there wont be time for setting everything up on a scarlet. You idiot. I'd love to see someone trying to get a low light unplanned interview with a scarlet. They'll be walking off before the thing has booted up! hahaha

Would anyone consider a Scarlet for still and motion paparazzi work? - Paparazzi taking 4K motion video? Are you serious? You obviously don't understand paparazzi and how they earn their money. Being able to shoot from a distance and crop 4x while still maintaining full hd? yes please. if your job is to get shots of fat celebs on the beach from a distance. or you actually plan for the future. 4k will be standard in a few years.

You really think someone would buy a 4K DSLR 15.000$ worth for recording news?! Yes. the BBC will. The hire firms will. The guys shooting both stills and video will.

So you need to offence someone you don't know, saying "Idiot" is your way of defending ideas?
What a pity someone has always to turn talks into a defence of his poor self estimation.

Some guys you never heard of?

[url="http://www.bruceweber.com/"]http://www.bruceweber.com[/url]
[url="http://www.gregfoto.com/"]http://www.gregfoto.com/[/url]

It's not my fault if you don't know worldwide famous photographers, just your ignorance, but it's clear you don't want to learn something from anybody, mr. Richg-Kubrick.
Anyway if you think that BBC will start buying dozens of Canon 1DC for news make yourself a favour, become a dealer and get lots of money.
I'll be happy for you.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1351163261' post='20271']
C300 / C500 / 1D C are all going to be completely smoked by what Sony have up their sleeve. Stay tuned.
[/quote]

Seems like it has more to do with F5 hype, which is way out of most peoples budget.

If Sony was smart, they would upgrade the FS and the F3s codec to 50mb 4:2:2 in the XDcam flavor. Then it would take out the C300 easily because the FS cameras are way cheaper.

Seem like the FS700s 25mps internal codec is outdated since the GH3 and BMC offer equal / better codes for way less money. Sony needs to step up their existing cameras, and not just released a million new cameras like what they've been doing.