Media Converter Re-wrap Question

John D

Per Andrew's suggestion (and others), I recently tried using Media Converter to "rewrap" my avchd clips to quicktime/.mov files. Incredibly fast processing is a major plus but, unfortunately, there seems to be some kind of issue with the files where ANY kind of additional processing (burning to dvd, adding transitions in fcp 7 or imovie, etc.) introduce "glitches" into the video. The glitches are fairly frequent and remind me of tape dropouts from the old mini-dv days. I'm using the [color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif][size=2]“Re-wrap AVCHD for Quicktime with uncompressed audio" preset. [/size][/font][/color]

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Most of my .mts files are backed up, but I foolishly dumped two sets and am hoping to find a way to be able to use that footage. Here's Andrew's original article on the subject for reference.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3576/re-wrap-avchd-clips-to-quicktime-in-no-time

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
rewrapping is just like remultiplexing, theres no real processing going on it just takes the video and audio streams stored within the MTS container, takes them out and puts them in a mov container plus writing a bit of metadata about the file, like fps, matrix, bitrate etc

so you should be able to remux into another container without loss.

Perhaps the stuttering is due to a different codec handling the MTS compared to the movs?

Thanks for your response. That's what I had understood about the rewrap process.

What I don't understand is why any processing would introduce the stuttering/glitches. The rewrapped/.mov files are clean so why would rewrapped files go bad when put through an nle and exported? Is that normal for a file that's been rewrapped using Media Converter or is this unusual? Using Media Converter seems like a pretty sketchy process if you can only stay within one codec after rewrapping.

I just got my department (university - education pricing) to buy adobe's production premium, so I'm going to just stay in the avchd/.mts container for now, but I would really like to figure this out so that I can use fcp/studio if and when I want as, at least for now, I'm faster at editing and outputting in that nle/suite.

Any advice on how to get that stuttering/glitchy footage back? Or is it pretty much a lost cause?

Thanks again!

I'm not on a mac and unfamiliar with imovie, but the only thing i can think of is that a different codec is assigned to handle
the different containers for example Apple QT for a mov container, maybe MainConcept for the MTS and that the performance of those may vary, again I'm not familar with mac perhaps the Quickwrap people can assist if no one here has a clue.

You know, I have it and use it for other purposes, but I haven't used it for rewrapping. I had hoped to figure out the problem with Media Converter because it's so incredibly fast, but I'll definitely try MPEGStreamclip as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

John