Hyperprime 12mm f1.6 or olympus 12mm f2?

craigbuckley

I have read the other post on this website about this topic, but I still couldnt make up my mind. I have read several different forums and posts but I still can't decide. Can anyone make a suggestion?

The hyper prime is $549 on ebay

and the olympus is at $659.

Is the hundred dollars worth it? I am looking to shoot short films and need a good wide angle lens. I heard the olympus is sharper but the noktor hyper prime has more of a cinema feel.. and I don't have the best light set up if that makes a difference..

Also, I have read that a filter is needed for the hyper prime, can someone show me a link to this kind of filter for this lens?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I don't know much about the supposedly necessary filter, but I fell in love with the Hyperprime on first use. I've never been a big fan of the Oly 12mm. Its distortion is quite bad and I'm one of the naysayers who think that its price is nowhere near justified. If you mix up photographic and video work, go with the Oly. Autofocus is worth the extra cash. If you're all video, I'd take the Hyperprime any day of the week.

P.S.

I assume that you are looking at refurb prices for the Oly.

I have the Oly, and I agree in general. Imo the distortion is not so prominent, but the image looks boring. Also, as with the 9-18 Oly, the lens introduces moire to the GH2, everything looks sharpened. This is the lens that needs the filter: The Tiffen Low Contrast 1, keep it on permanently. Then, at a daytime shoot, you may run-and-gun with working autofocus. Makes the video look as if from any other camcorder. I vote for the SLR magic.

For what it's worth, I don't have any experience with the Oly but I absolutely love the look I get from the SLR Magic lens. You might read up on the lens flare issue and the potential vignetting in adding filters. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but you should be informed before making your final choice. : )

Yeah I am going to go with the SLR magic just because of all the good recommendations and good stuff I have read.. Thanks guys!!

but I have heard about the lens flaring and such,

what would be the best way to deal with this for this lens? Could someone point out the right kind of filter for this lens?

Lens flare is something you see during recording. The expensive and ugly way to prevent light rays falling in in an awkward angle is of course a *mattebox*. If we are talking about the dear [i]sun[/i], it happens to be a single light source, the light can easily be held off with 'the poor man's mattebox', your hand. Be inventive!

You're probably thinking of a neutral density filter. You'll definitely need one if you're shooting in daylight and want to maintain shallow depth of field at faster apertures, like the Nokton lens.

For the 12mm, there's a 58/77mm hood that comes with it, meaning to avoid vignetting you'll want a 77mm sized filter. Variable would be your best bet since you can put it on all your lenses with step down rings. Hope that helps!

Why do ND filters vary in price so widely? You can literally pay as little as $10 and as much as $120?! I have an old fader ND that I've had for years. Don't remember how much I paid for it. Maybe $20 or something. It's to small to fit on some of my larger lenses so I've been looking to pick up a new small set. However, it's like hell trying to figure out which one to get! I really don't need absolute optical purity. I also keep getting conflicting advice from all my other photography friends. One guy says to get this one brand that only cost about $16 each, another says nothing under $100 is worth it. And it seems looking on Amazon, they are just flooded with $10 cheapo filters. I'm totally lost...

I also recommend the B+W for the hyperprime.

And, just so you know, the 58/77 hood (which doubles for a step-up ring) does NOT come with the lens. At least it didn't come with mine. In fact, it's an $80 additional purchase, plus $20 shipping from China.

I took the risk and bought a somewhat less expensive metal step up ring (heliopan - $50 and free shipping) from adorama for the B+W nd filters I'm using. There is only the slightest amount of vignetting at 1.6. However, vignetting hasn't been an issue for me as I only use the ND filter when I'm in bright sunlight, so I'm usually stopped down a bit anyway.

Also, in my research I read a LOT about the unwanted effects of cheaper variable nd filters on footage. I'm sure there are plenty of shooters who don't mind (just like me about the tiny bit of vignetting at full wide with my nd set up), but I chose to go with regular nd filters to ensure the best quality footage I can get for a decent price. The heliopan/B+W combo represented a reasonable price vs. performance compromise in my mind.

With all that said, given that you're on a budget you might just go with a cheaper option and see how it looks to you. If it doesn't work you're only out $15-$25 to get started.

Good luck!