Voigtlander ULTRON 40mm as taking lens?

printsofpersia

In my rather Lazy quest to wring every last mm out of my dual focus Centavision. I found this little lovely: [color=#333333][font=Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'][size=5][b]Voigtlander ULTRON 40mm F2.0 SL II N Aspherical for Nikon. [/b][/size][/font][/color]

Now, I normally use a Nikon 50mm ais pancake (mounted on my 550D) as the taking lens. It's fantastic, not a hint of vignette. Buuuut, I have recently mounted the Centavision on a Nikon 35mm ais and vignetting appears but only very slightly.

My question: Would the extra 5mm on the voightlander eliminate this vignette and leave me with the widest possible lens for that particular anamorphic?

Any thoughts from the gods of Anamorphia (Stan, Andrew)

• 4 years later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

I cannot find a reply on this thread. It looks a nice prime for my Bolex 16/32. I do have an adapter nikon-nx1 and redstan 52mm threat on the Bolex. Might be the perfect lens. Who can recommend the Ultron 40mm?

Congrats to your Bolex-Möller! Sadly I never owned a Möller 16/32 but other Möllers and still love and use it's small brother the 8/19. My advice would be to search for a lens that enables you to rack-focus (which is possible with some practice) - of course if you don't use RectiRangeGripLuxFinderFM... With the small Möller this works very good with Canon FDn and also when I remember right with the Olympus 38 1.8. It depends on size and focus throw. Below is an old clip with some test footage and some double-focus-racking. However there is no perfect lens... ;) But the Ultron could work nicely. Let us now if you have tested it.

https://vimeo.com/72038962

Hello,

I have this exact Voigtlander 40mm Ultron, and have used it with anamorphic adapters. First, the lens is amazing by itself. One of my favorites. 

With anamorphics, in my experience, I haven't found it vignette free, if you're shooting on a full frame sensor. Anything smaller and you have a bit more flexibility but I've used SLR Magic Anamorphot and Kowa adapters and they both showed obvious corner darkness.

3 hours ago, DIGICHombre said:

Hello,

I have this exact Voigtlander 40mm Ultron, and have used it with anamorphic adapters. First, the lens is amazing by itself. One of my favorites. 

With anamorphics, in my experience, I haven't found it vignette free, if you're shooting on a full frame sensor. Anything smaller and you have a bit more flexibility but I've used SLR Magic Anamorphot and Kowa adapters and they both showed obvious corner darkness.

Thank you! Then I am interested what other lens are you using. I am looking for a high quality 35-40mm lens. 

2 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Thank you! Then I am interested what other lens are you using. I am looking for a high quality 35-40mm lens. 

Honestly I don't have enough information to make that recommendation. I am unfamiliar with the Bolex 16/32. I'm not sure what sensor size your camera is. If it's an APS-C then you might be able to get away with 40mm.