Shiga Scope Anamorphic x1.5?

brucker

One of these popped up on the local auctions here, and I cant find much info about the lens itself.

I did find quite a bit on how the anamorphic element in alot of the panavision anamorphics were made by Shiga which made for some pretty interesting reading.

any experiences with, or opinions on the lens?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
shiga was a very small company only working with cylindricals.
many great scope movies of the 70s and 80s used his optics.
mainly massive handmade front mounted types.
he started out in the 60s making cinema copies of hypergonar for the japanese market but could not compete with mass production of other companies.
the lens you mention would need to be remounted to use on a camera today expensive rebuild.
it would of been used with mega cost cooke and angenieux zooms.
lovely idea but big investment of time and money

hmmm, could we be talking about two different things?

this one looks like a regular "mount infront of lens" lens. i forgot to mention that its for an 8mm camera and/or projector, says it on the body.

and according to the seller it came with an adapter so that it could be attached to a D mount nikkor taking lens, on an 8mm camera i presume.

here's the link: [url="http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w79691947"]http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w79691947[/url]

pretty certain you guys wont be bidding against me :P

so i went for a stroll after dinner, took a few stills and a bit of video.

first time fiddling about with an anamorphic at night so quite a few shots were out of focus,.. my fault entirely :ph34r: as it is very sharp.

here's the sharpest one straight out of the camera. the taking lens was a 50mm takumar f1.4 and this was shot wide open.

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/21346/50869081b79fe_shigascopetaxirank.jpg[/img]

it focuses down to just under 3ft. about 2.75ft and it's nice and sharp.

of the three that i've recently acquired, this lil shigascope is by far the easiest to focus with, and this was handheld.

the kowa prominar anamorphic-8 and the elmoscope-16 (for 16mm) were harder to work for some reason,... its like on those two the sweetspot is harder to spot clearly. there's a bit of ghosting so the "infocus" point seems to tiny even at f3.5 on a 2.7 crop sensor. or maybe i'm doing something wrong. i even had the elmoscope mounted on a velbon spt1 to keep it in place. it may only be my samples as well.

but on the shigascope the sweetspot seems to be easier to determine. and even at f1.4 it was easier to figure out when i've gone over or under .

it flares a lovely orange and a little green,... so not too sci-fi-ish.

the shaky handheld footage i shot tonight looks promising, nice and cinematic. so much so that i;ve decided to macgyver it to my lens and take it out on a tripod through out this week,.... tonight's shaky handheld footage, while not bad, would do this lil lens a disservice i reckon.

tony wilson, you were spot on, it is rather yummy.