My Iscomorphot in action

QuickHitRecord

Sounds similar to my solution...I already had an old Helios extension tube and a the clamp from the iscomorphot's stand.

I just epoxied the two together,it allows me to drop the back end really close to many taking lenses, nice and simple.

A quick buff of all metal parts...makes it all looks classy :)

Great thing is that just one single nylon screw is enough to keep it tightly in place. 

IMG_1060.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds similar to my solution...I already had an old Helios extension tube and a the clamp from the iscomorphot's stand.

I just epoxied the two together,it allows me to drop the back end really close to many taking lenses, nice and simple.

A quick buff of all metal parts...makes it all looks classy :)

Great thing is that just one single nylon screw is enough to keep it tightly in place. 

A very elegant solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Got me thinking...I always wanted a portrait/closeup only anamorphic.

So I removed the optics from the iscomorphot and inserted into a Helios body, allowing min focus of 2feet (without diopters)...max focus of 15ft.

This in effect is moving the fixed focus forward to be optimised for a more useful range, whilst being able to control the DOF using duel focus.This setup is configured to screw on top of another Helios, acting as the taking lens.

So did you just remove the long bit at the back & keep the front intact?

I was told that you could remove the back part & make the min focusing distance smaller - there's a screw on mine, about half way up the body, but its super-glued into place & is impossible to get off.

I was told that you could remove the back part & make the min focusing distance smaller - there's a screw on mine, about half way up the body, but its super-glued into place & is impossible to get off.

I would also love to know how you've accomplished this!

I would also love to know how you've accomplished this!

Ha!...yes, I simply unscrewed the front element which was simple enough then I removed the rear optic with a trusty hacksaw.

I carefully cut the rear of the barrel off, just before the glass insert - leaving the rear optic flush with the outer tube.

Then I had two optics to play with and mount at a shorter distance to allow closer focus.

I was going into this knowing that infinity would be lost...I was just after the shallow look, but with a more controllable close focus.

Before I went all 'Dexter' I checked that I had some brass tube stock so I could rebuild in case it all went horribly wrong.

I acquired this x2 a while back for dirt cheap, it is probably a 5/10 condition...not a sacred flawless example by any means.

I think that with a longer bodied rehousing there would be a way of covering 2 feet to infinity...but I'm definitely happy with having it as a portrait/detail only lens. I wanted something super portable that would intercut with my Lomo footage for closeups...it seems to have a very complimentary look. And it is awesome not having to mess around with diopters.

Thanks!

Don't think i'm going to go all "Dexter" on mine, unless i find another cheap one & i don't think that'll happen in a hurry!

Did yours have a tiny screw on the middle of the body, connecting the long thin tube to the back of the larger front section or did you just get hacksaw happy with it straight away!?

Thanks!

Don't think i'm going to go all "Dexter" on mine, unless i find another cheap one & i don't think that'll happen in a hurry!

Did yours have a tiny screw on the middle of the body, connecting the long thin tube to the back of the larger front section or did you just get hacksaw happy with it straight away!?

Yes, it has the screw but I still had to cut at the bottom - to release the rear optic from a glued in fitting - I did not want to force that free by hand, so I went medieval on it's ass. Can be rebuilt easily, but am finding it very practical to use in it's closer focus form.

@QuickHitRecord- sorry man, I did not mean to hijack your thread...it was your impressive footage that prompted me to dig out my iscomorphot and give it some use again...albeit with a 'chop shop' drink-inspired makeover :)

Ps- I picked mine up for £40 and the optics are not quite to the standard I would wish to sell on, as I think there are too many wiseguys selling overpriced and crusty damaged scopes as 'minty' on the bay already.