Will different lens type affect my film?

canonkid47

If i get an old prime lens from canon say 50mm and then pick up a 14mm rokinon or something of the sort, are my shots going to look totally different because of the different make?

What im trying to say, if I have one camera that I use different lenses on, and I go back from a canon lens to a rokinon or something else, will the quality look a lot different? Should I stick with one brand? Or does the brand not affect the look?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
To an extent, yes each lens will have its own look. That being said, I don't think it will look "different" in the way you are imagining. Professionals use all manner of different lenses. You should have no problem matching footage from the Canon and Rokinon. Definitely no need to stick with one brand.

[quote name='Mondo' timestamp='1350232472' post='19746']
What camera are you shooting on? And good wide angles are going to run you a little bit more than a couple hundred dollars.
[/quote]

no they dont. for a couple of hundred dollars you could get a olympus zuiko 35mmf2.8 and a 28mmf2.8 with change left over. more than sharp enough for hd video

I have been using my dad's panasonic 2, im pretty sure its a gh2. He says with an adapter, you can put almost any lens on it. But then he told me something how if you get a 50mm lens it really is a 100mm lens on a gh2, or something like that. Would the canon fd 50mm be ok as my primary lens on a gh2?

Yes it will. I have the canon fd 50mm on my gh2 and its definitely closer to 100mm than 50mm. I also have the panasonic 20mm pancake, its great for the gh2, still not a wide lens though, not sure if that is actually 20mm on my gh2 or if its 2x as long as well like the canon fd, so maybe my 20 is actually 40mm. You will have to wait and find out.

I don't have a lens right now. My dad has the gh2 with the kit lens but broke the kit lens, so I am going to buy a lens or two so I use the camera. I want it for video, so if I get the 20mm pancake, would that be wide enough if its not a wide angle lens? Should I go with something like a nikon 14mm instead for primary?

By the way, [url="http://www.dvxuser.com/"]http://www.dvxuser.com/[/url] has a huge community of professional filmmakers with tons of very specific forums for these kinds of questions. There's a great "Filmmaking" forum there that can really help a lot when you are just starting out.

[quote name='craigbuckley' timestamp='1350240689' post='19757']
GalenB, is this true of a lumix lens as well? Is the 20mm pancake crop to 40mm?
[/quote]

Yep. All lenses. Even if they are made for MFT mount. A lens focal length isn't something that changes. It's the sensor that changes it. It crops in on it. Like if you had a wide angle photo of a bunch of shops on a plaza and then you cropped in on only one of the shops. The view would no longer be wide angle.

[quote name='canonkid47' timestamp='1350240817' post='19758']
I don't have a lens right now. My dad has the gh2 with the kit lens but broke the kit lens, so I am going to buy a lens or two so I use the camera. I want it for video, so if I get the 20mm pancake, would that be wide enough if its not a wide angle lens? Should I go with something like a nikon 14mm instead for primary?
[/quote]

Actually, I hate to say this but if you are just starting out, a good zoom lens is going be more versatile then a bag of primes because you onlu need to cary around a single lens. Primes are definitely better then a zoom lens because they are usually shaper and sometimes have wider aperture. But I really feel like those are things you should be worrying about when you have a better grasp of photography and your skills outpace your equipment.

If you have a specific look in mind that can only be achieved with one or two specific focal lengths then yes, just get an old prime from ebay. But if you don't even know how you want things to look, a zoom lens is going to help you figure that out and learn about focal lengths better... In my opinion that is. I've seen a few other people on this forum that say the opposite though. The argument is that a single focal length is better because it forces you to better think about the composition of the shot. In other words, you can't just zoom out and get everyone in the shot, you have to physically move back. And, I suppose there might be a tendency to set the focal length to whatever looks good on the zoom lens and not even think about what focal length that is. But I still think that if you are just starting out, it helps to have a lens that can cover the basics. (I'm trying to be as even handed as I can here)

You can get the 14-42mm kit lens for about $100 now.

Here's some threads that I turned up with a simple search:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?181-GH1-GH2-Hardware-Lenses-etc
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?249469-Newb-First-Lens
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?239822-Newbie-Question-About-Lens

It's not uncommon for a DP to do a test shoot with their planned lens package. Even among the same manufacturer, sometimes a particular lens might have a different enough character from others on either side of its range that a judgment call has to be made if they'll stick with it.

Lenses can have noticeable contrast differences. Some can exhibit pronounced distortion at edges, under certain stops, compared to another. Bokeh can be really different. You could get slight color casts with certain lenses. What you need is to know all of this up front, or know that you don't have to worry about it. If it's distracting under the test situation it will be distracting in a film. Know what you can live with, what you can correct and what you'll be stuck with before the real work starts.