Hissing sound with my microphone?

craigbuckley

So I remembered I had a 2 channel mixer at my house. It has XLR in and I am using the CD/TAPE out (red and white cables) to 3.5mm with adapter on for 2.55mm in my GH2.

It works fine and I can hear myself through the headphones on my mixer, and it records fine, but there is this loud hiss going on or some feedback when the mic is on. On my other camera I would just turn down the volume and it would take care of the hiss, but this seems way more loud than usual. Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Craig, you don't listen. The adapter works for mini-jack to cinch, for example the headphone output of your iPod to a stereo amplifier, but the other way is just horror. You've got a good mike, why don't you make up your mind and buy either a Juicedlink or Beachtek or a Tascam? Or you could go from XLR to mini-jack directly, with a short cable (wired in the right way, a friend of mine built such an adapter for himself, works) no problem. And then, your mixer is probably AC-bound, how practical is that?

I understand, you have not much money. Then take your time with your limited equipment and concentrate on the imagery. Don't try to buy [i]everything[/i] for 500 $. There are good shorts without any dialogue. Be patient. Do something now. Wait for the occasions to buy more and better (or the right) things. As an amateur (or beginner, if you find [i]amateur[/i] insulting), you will never be able to have exactly the equipment you are dreaming of. The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

I like that quote Axel. Thank you and you are so right, buying stuff wont solve the problem.

I have been told audio is one of the most important parts of film, and this audio hiss is unacceptable, so I do feel the need to upgrade my audio but then stop there. By me using my old mixer that is a way of not spending my money and using my resources more creatively, accept it didn't work out.

I just don't understand the hiss. The adapter went straight from 1/8inch out into my gh2. Can you not use an audio mixer to preamp? It says preamp on it.. But thanks again, I will have to think of something.

you'll get a natural hiss with all audio recording. Running certain recorders at a higher gain can introduce more op amp noise. its worth looking online for optimal recording gains for each component you are using in the signal chain. I assume your mic is non boosted? as in it doesnt have a battery, or is not being powered via phantom power via the xlr?

My suggestion would be to purchase a mic that outputs a boosted signal specifically for the type on jack input you have on your camera.

Noise will always be present and it is amazing what you can do when you understand audio post production - if anything it's more complex than video post production. layering stock material over the top of your main recorded sound (such as atmospheric noise or music) and lowering the gain during parts with no audio information you need to keep can help.

I use Sony ECM 55b's and zoom h2 handy recorder (using an xlr to minijack adaptor I made) It means my dialogue is crispy and of a similar quality to bbc thanks to the amazing sony 55b. the mic has built in battery compartment in the xlr connector for use with non phantom power. you wouldnt use it for atmospheric noise but instead I just use the onboard mics on the zoom h2. you can get a sony ecm 44b on ebay for a very reasonable price. and if you are doing small stuff you can usually get away with one.

[color=#222222][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

This website is a seriously great resource for anyone delving into the world of audio. The guide is immensely helpful and covers a wealthier of topics

http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1350174463' post='19722']
you'll get a natural hiss with all audio recording.
[/quote]

I think thats a bit misleading...."noise" maybe yes but certainly not a hiss! Certainly not at a noticeable level if you're doing it right