Optimising the GH2 for ISO 12,800 - a video tutorial

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/gh2-patch-vault"]The footage here is shot with the EOSHD Intra-esting patch (AVC Intra at 88Mbit), which you can download here[/url]. Edit in Premiere CS5.5 on an AVC-Intra timeline for best workflow performance.

Myth busting time! Yes the GH2 really can do clean, detailed ISO 12,800 in low light, and it is the best current DSLR for low light shooting, with an organic fine grain noise pattern like the Canon C300. How? It all depends on picture profiles, as EOSHD shows in this video tutorial.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6895/optimising-the-gh2-for-iso-12800-a-video-tutorial/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Technically, what's the difference between smooth, standard and dynamic?
Are they all just different contrast curves, or does dynamic actually do something more than that?

Also, this is slightly off topic, but what's your opinion on the Olympus 12mm f2.0 compared to the Hyperprime 12mm f1.6?
Is the bigger aperture on the Hyperprime worth the loss of sharpness that you would get from the Olympus?

Thanks for the video!

• Administrators
The Olympus is double the price of the Hyperprime. Of course, since it is 2x more expensive, obviously it is a more advanced lens - silently focussing, AF, very small, very light, very sharp, hardly any flare. It is a bit more clinical than the SLR Magic though.

I like both. The SLR Magic is recommended for those who can't afford or justify the expense of the Olympus 12mm. I usually use my Hyperprime at F2 anyway, since the flare is c*r*a*z*y at F1.6 - sometimes, actually, I like it but many won't feel that way!

Awesome tutorial.

:)

You inspire us!  I did a quick high iso vid - color.  (download it - don't stream)
Next one will be iso 12,800 B/W!

I am not afraid of grain anymore! You have cured me Andrew!

[url=http://vimeo.com/35307811]RoadSide Picnic - GH2 Quantum v9b Hack Test - ISO 3200 and 6400[/url]

Hi,

I'm just curious about hacking the new firmware v1.1. No body is talking about it. Like its forbidde!! Many pros was desperately needed 25p before 1.1 . But as a pro I need 25p in higher bitrates like 88mbps and high iso like 6400 or 12800. Whats your opinion will it be possible??

Cheers

[quote author=mozes link=topic=194.msg1419#msg1419 date=1326982617]
The color profile also does a lot for the grain.
Just tested all settings with the same shutter, iso and exposure.
Smooth give here for me far the most noice/grain.
[/quote]

I will have to try smooth again - Since I live in Seattle our light or lack there of is so grey and drab that the warmth of the Nostalgic setting is always welcome.  Notice how the close up snow shots in my video are still somewhat white and clean but the warmth clings to the shadows and other colored clips. 

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=194.msg1425#msg1425 date=1326996433]
Some nice shots in there Sara  :) Amazingly detailed and clean for ISO 3200 and 6400 isn't it? How do you like the 20mm pancake?
[/quote]

The 20mm is ok for tests when I don't want to damage my voigtlander 25mm.  I think the 20mm F1.7 is a little boring.  I can't stand the 40mm focal length and I am not big on the flare ... it is like the lens half ass's the flare.  IMO I either want the lens to fight it (like my old Leica M primes) or go crazy with it (voigtlander 25mm wide open). 

I actually like lens flare a lot and want to purchase the 12mm SLRmagic (why is it not on their website) "because" it blooms and flares and has such great close focusing performance. 

[quote author=Sercan link=topic=194.msg1429#msg1429 date=1327005642]
Hi,

I'm just curious about hacking the new firmware v1.1. No body is talking about it. Like its forbidde!! Many pros was desperately needed 25p before 1.1 . But as a pro I need 25p in higher bitrates like 88mbps and high iso like 6400 or 12800. Whats your opinion will it be possible??
[/quote]

Sercan, I think results without high-bit rate with 1.1 are nothing to sneeze at.  Contact the video author of:

[url=http://vimeo.com/34621256]Panasonic GH2 New High Bit Rate 25P[/url]

He is working with 25p a lot and getting good results.

OT - I wish the Pentax K-5 would get hacked - 25p and in body stab, and weather sealing, and great build quality.

• Administrators
[quote author=Sercan link=topic=194.msg1429#msg1429 date=1327005642]
Hi,

Cheers
[/quote]

Vitaliy is working on it dude. It isn't a forbidden topic but there isn't very much new to say until it Vitaliy gets his work done.

Thanks Andrew for the Tutorial.

Just scrubbed through Sara's Clip and I was like hummm...this looks like Seattle, went back and played it from the begining, Haha this is Seattle.  Been playing with my new Hacked GH2 got it month ago, nice little camera, actually have been leaving my 7D and 5DMII behind most of time.