Trying to get in touch with Redstan? Please help?

Stefan Barkla

Hi,
I have followed this forum for a while now and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me get in touch with Redstan.. I have sent numerous emails, Ebay messages, message through his site, tried to ring the number on his site etc etc but with no response through any of those means... I am looking to buy a couple of filter clamps (Sankor 16C and Kowa Bell and Howell) as well as a +0.5 diopter. I don't really want to purchase anything on Ebay without having some confirmation from him, as well as the fact that I am not even sure if he still has the diopter in stock... So if anyone out there is in contact with him or if he sees this message himself, then please get in touch.. From what i understand, he sells a quality product but I have been trying to get in contact for over a month now and am not sure what else to do..

Any help or advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Stefan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Yes Stefan. That's vimeo's account.
It happend the same to me. No answer at all.I bought time ago a diopter and now I also want to buy more diopters to Redstan but didn't answer. Maybe he don't have any more. Finally I bought a pair to Kostas from Greek.
Maybe here on these forum we can get in touch with "Tony Wilson"

Best regards.

Hi Francisco, Thanks for the message. Interesting to know that I am not the only one who cannot get in touch with Tony.. I am also looking to buy some clamps as well, so it is not only the diopter that is the issue.. Fingers crossed that this forum post comes up with something :)

Cheers

Stefan

He's been away & is back now - i spoke to him today, as i'm meeting him tomorrow.
I'll let him know that people are after him!
He has some other diopters (+0.3?) made by Angenieux, which should be v.good if they are anything like their lenses - will let you know how good they are.

Awesome! I have got in contact with him and am just waiting to see what is available to put in an order! Yeehah! Just quickly, does anyone know what the maths is for the difference between a +0.25 Diopter (Angenieux) and a 0.4 (Tokina)? The anamorphics I have all have a minimum focus distance of 5 feet (1.5 metres or so)? Also, what does a +1 diopter get you in the range of?

Ok, thanks so much once again. Much appreciated!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Great Stefan,
I can tell you these:
I will have in total three diopter 0.5+.
With one diopter 0.5+ you can focus at 85cm. With two you can focus at around 50-60cm, and with three you should focus at 30-35cm approximately.
Best regards.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Francisco.[/font]

a tokina +.4 will bring you from 5ft to the 3.5ft mark and will sharpen a little at wider apertures. maximum focus distance is then about 12ft
the angie +.25 will bring you from 5ft to about 4ft i recon maximum focus is probably about 18ft

i imagine the angenieux and the tokina stacked would be a good investment. buy both then use the tokina for normal face shots, and both when you need the slight extra close up. i recon both together will get you around 2ft?

Ps. the tokina is amazing for adding a bit more background defocus when shooting close ups with smaller apertures. your dof is smaller

I have been considering a purchase of an Angenieux +.25 from redstan for the purpose I mention above. cant quite get as close as i'd like with just the tokina +.4

The angenieux is very nice & the +0.4 Achromat is a must as it not only gets you in closer, but it will also sharpen up the image if your anamorphic is a bit soft (a doublet which straightens the light rays).

A very good cheap option is the Sigma branded close-up lens (goldish box, red lettering & doesn't say what strength it is) - it goes for about £10-15 on ebay & is about a +1.6

Also, don't forget/be afraid to use different focal length lenses - 85/100mm & 135mm are great options to have (or smaller/similar if you are using a M43 camera)

I recently bought a Canon 500d +2 achromat for €80,-
That is what you need when you want to do a "Sergio Leone-shoot"... (really close!)

The quality is great and with the 72mm thread perfect
for an Iscorama a many others (with additional clamps Optex, Sankors etc)

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to respond! Have put in an order with Redstan, so hopefully will hear back from him before too long..

Just another quick on with regards to diopters and distance, with a +1 diopter, Francisco notes that you can get roughly in the 50-60cm range (with 2 x 0.5 diopters) and was just wondering what the maximum focus distance is? I have a basic Hoya diopter set (+1 +2 +4) so I figure just using the +0.5 and a +1 will do for my purposes at this stage...

Ok, thanks so much once again, much appreciated.

Best Regards

Stefan