Need serious help choosing my DSLR...

craigbuckley

Thanks guys :)
I quite agree that the GH2 hasn't become a lesser camera and I am troubled by the sensor change in the GH3 which means that wide lenses won't be quite as wide. It's also bigger and heavier but that would only become relevant as and when I fly it.
Both would be in budget so that's less of a problem. It's all a lot less than a 5D!

I'm quite drawn to the Flowmotion 2.02 hack at the moment - is there anything else I should consider?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='stevesas' timestamp='1349436721' post='19408']
I am troubled by the sensor change in the GH3 which means that wide lenses won't be quite as wide.
[/quote]

<Deleted incorrect information!>

[i][b]Edit: Looks like I was totally wrong about this! The GH1 and GH2 have the same multi-aspect sensor. Check out this for the real story on the GH3 sensor:[/b][/i]
[i][b][url="http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-aspect-sensor.html"]http://m43photo.blog...ect-sensor.html[/url][/b][/i]

[quote name='pietz' timestamp='1349344615' post='19382']
thanks galenb. i agree, go with the GH2 for superior video quality and sharpness or a FF of choice for the look and slight moire and aliasing problems.

with the 5D3 being probably the best FF fpr video right now, i keep thinking about the 6D because for video purposes its essentially just as good as the 5D3 except for the missing headphone jack. would you agree? only 97% viewfinder coverage, little worse AF system and a little lower resolution dont hurt me as a videographer. and for that its 40% cheaper!

can anybody say something about a comparison between the D600 and the 6D? they are both about the same price. an advantage for the 6D would be that a lot of my friends are using canon cameras, borrowing their lenses is a big plus. is the D600 that much better to compensate for that? is the A99 woth the extra $800 dollars?
[/quote]

I don't really know to much about this stuff because I've only ever used a 5DmkII. From what I've seen in comparison reviews out there, the 5DMkIII is definitely an improvement over the mkII in both ISO performance and less aliasing and moire. Although it's yet to be seen, the 6D has the same sensor and chip combo as the mkII so it should perform about the same in video. But really, we don't know for sure until the 6D is actually released. So given that I would wait for the 6D.

As far as the newer Nikons and Sonys go, other then using older Nikons for years in stop-motion animation, I have absolutely no experience with them so I can't comment.

Just a little story: I used to work at and animation studio that used Nikons for stop-motion all the time. We stayed away from Canons because the aperture was electronically controlled and in our tests, it would fluctuate ever so slightly over many frames. When played back, it would flicker a little. So, we stuck with Nikon. Later when we got into Live action, we tested out the latest Nikon cameras (which would only do 720p at the time) but they proved to be very bad for video. Then one day, someone brought in a 5D and showed us some footage. We were all pretty much blown away by how much better it looked then the Nikons. That was then though. Times have certainly changed but I just feel Canon care a little more about video then Nikon does. But that's just my personal opinion that's not based on any kind of facts or anything. ;-)

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1349463206' post='19421']
<Deleted incorrect information!>

[i][b]Edit: Looks like I was totally wrong about this! The GH1 and GH2 have the same multi-aspect sensor. Check out this for the real story on the GH3 sensor:[/b][/i]
[i][b][url="http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/10/multi-aspect-sensor.html"]http://m43photo.blog...ect-sensor.html[/url][/b][/i]
[/quote]

Ok, this means, that, like almost all other Camera Manufacturers out there (Nikon, Canon, Sony etc etc), the GH3 will create an approx 22% size reduction, in Stllls for 16:9 size pics, and an approx 7% reduction, in Stills for 3:2 pic size. If everyone else is doing it, then, maybe, it doesn't seem so bad ... :P