Corporate shoot with the Hypergonar

QuickHitRecord

Some said it couldn't be done, so I had to give it a try. I budgeted myself a little extra prep time and brought my HiFi-2 to work for a six-interview shoot. Here's a sample of the footage:

[url="https://vimeo.com/50072695"]https://vimeo.com/50072695[/url]
PW: hypergonar

Original crop. No color correction. There's a slight reflection in the glass that I will probably motion-track out.

As long as you can ask your talent to move slightly so that they are in focus, its actually a pretty good choice to breathe some life into talking head shots.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='BurnetRhoades' timestamp='1348512231' post='18989']
What stop were you at? How much was your DOF?

Seems like a good move being able to market yourself bringing something extra. Most industrial shooters (that I've seen) tend to be very conventional.
[/quote]

Thanks. I shoot a lot of these, so I try to bring something new to each shoot to keep things fresh.

I could have kept it at f4 but I went up to f5.6 just to be extra sure that we would not have problems with focus as the camera moved further away from the subject.

Some said it couldn't be done : )

i tink you will find eye said scarlet johananson would like a long schlong lens but might bee dangus filmin her on a bed wid it droppin off and snmashin her delacut skull in.

you cheated by not usin a bed or a girly and youze was not on top of der fella youse kept yer distance i tinks.
looks very good..
i tink it likes and old technovisiion hollywwod movie anamorphic from der 1980s.
a little soft
did yer smash your pizza plate size close up lens?

I love the look. it looks like standard definition (in a good way). What I mean by that is it looks like expensive standard def rather than cheap high def. like the difference between late 1990's big budget bbc and Itv programs like morse / piorot and 5D mk2 footage. The SD high budget piorot and morse actually looks higher definition than what we often see as 1080p when played back on a decent system

[quote name='tony wilson' timestamp='1348519714' post='18993']
i tink it likes and old technovisiion hollywwod movie anamorphic from der 1980s.
a little soft
did yer smash your pizza plate size close up lens?
[/quote]

The whole setup was a bit silly. Scarlett Johansson would have had a laugh. I used a +1 diopter for this, which I find gives a much more pleasing image than the +0.4 achromat on the Hypergonar. Close up lenses seem to smear the backgrounds a bit and sometimes I find that they make circular bokeh out of background elements that really should not appear as circular bokeh. But the +1 and this lens is a sweet spot. I am still tempted to try to shoot an entire narrative short with this combination because I like the look so much -- but I just don't know if I could get through it and I wouldn't want to waste Ms Johansson's time!

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1348526079' post='19000']
I love the look. it looks like standard definition (in a good way). What I mean by that is it looks like expensive standard def rather than cheap high def. like the difference between late 1990's big budget bbc and Itv programs like morse / piorot and 5D mk2 footage. The SD high budget piorot and morse actually looks higher definition than what we often see as 1080p when played back on a decent system
[/quote]

I agree. There's a cool lo-fi feel here. I definitely see the "high-budget SD" comparison. I always have a hard time putting the "look" of this lens into words. I don't really think that my clients know what they want for this, but I think that they are going to love it (though I am sure that we will end up cropping it quite a bit).

I am crazy about this lens. It's the least practical anamorphic I own but there is just something so uniquely epic about it.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='brucker' timestamp='1350265186' post='19769']
that does look very nice,... it looks quality and that's the first thing that jumps out before even thinking about HD or SD.

how'd the clients take it? I'm curious as i'm thinking of doing the same but have absolutely no idea how they're likely to react.
[/quote]

Thanks. It went over well, except that they ultimately insisted on cropping to 16:9 for the final deliverable, despite my efforts to convince them that the background was the real star here. But they are happy, so I am happy.

• 2 months later...

Here is a short film documentary shot with the baby Berthiot  Hypergonar that has been broadcast on september 2012 on local french TV. I did the cinematography and the editing. Sorry it's not sub titled yet, but I will do it soon. Everything was shot during the night with GH2, and ISO between 1600 to 2400 in my memories. 

There is a PASSWORD for the moment because of broadcast rights : 501

https://vimeo.com/49723682