Schneider-Kreuznach anamorphic projector lens

galenb

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

here is how you get 6 feet focus from a Schneider Anamorphic Cinelux small lens.

The Schenider winds back past 3 m so wind the focus all the way back until it hits the bump stop

I use a Minolta 45mm taking lens on my Panasonic g6 / gh2

use deep focus f16 (Schneider recomend stopping down for their projectionists to get nearer focus than 3m in small screening rooms- it says so on their web site)

voila..... focus your Minolta lens to 6 feet -you are ready to shoot - bingo.... its that easy

Ive been using these Schneider lenses for 10 years since they first made them - the first one I bought cost the price of a small car when new!

6 feet is near enough for me and covers 99% of what I do - I don't need to get any nearer so the Schneider is the prefect lens for my work as it is so sharp.

Andy, your attempts to provide justification for the claim of 6feet MFD are insincere at best.

Here is why:

1) Regardless of the indicated focal range on the transfer, silk screened on the side, the Cinelux have two physical constraints preventing sub 3m operation without dioptres. Firstly the inner tube butts up against the rear element assembly and secondly there is an internal metal obstruction. This double whammy cannot be overcome without a significant re-engineering of the design. I speak from experience as I have just completed harvesting the glass from a small batch of these units and have disassembled them down to the atomic level.

2) Cinelux are designed for F2 operation with Cinelux flat lenses. They also work with older units like Xenons and ISCO sphericals from F2.1 to F2.8. Projection sphericals do not have an aperture which can be adjusted apart from some Cinelux units which have F1.8 to F4 via thumbscrew. There is no way a projectionist can set F16! 

Besides, there is no lamp bright enough to support this Fstop even if it were possible because it would incinerate the film.

Of course, dioptres are not an option with these units as they will cover/prevent access to the focus controls, wont they?

An average lit living room is typically F2, 800ISO @1/50s. To get to F16 you need 6 stops brighter illumination.

So how many 10Kwatt HMI lamp heads plus ballast are you recommending to pull off your F16/ 6Feet  trick?????

• 3 years later...

Old post, but i just got hands on the "small" schneider kreuznach, since i live next to the city where they produce(d) it ;)

So till now i was not able to mount it, still waiting for a rail support and adapter ring, but what i can say is that i was able to focus to like 1.5m, without tuning-

andy is right when he says that you can turn the focus knob way more in than 3 meters. Also John is right, the inner tube is the thing which will stop focusing nearer.

BUT there is enough space left between the inner tube and the physical stop (rear lens) to push it in some mm.

So if you drill down the inner tube, easy to focus even closer. In theory.

Still this f*ing compendium like front thing will be a problem when i try to attach a rangefinder.