5d3 vs BMCC video

richg101

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It's a very well done and compelling video. I enjoyed it a lot more than the film that he talks about. I have been going back and forth between the BMC and the GH3 as my next camera. This series of tests tilts the scale sharply back towards the BMC. I like everything I see here, except for the strange rainbow-colored flare that shows up at around 00:40. What is that?

The only thing I will say against this comparison is the fact that most of the very orangy shots looked like the 5dmk3 was being pushed to its limits with the 3band curves. -obviously it will fall short against a 4:4:4 camera. and I wouldnt be surprised if the shots from the 5d3 would have looked better if he had used the 5d with the wb set to get closer to that warm orange when he shot it meaning less grading of the h264 footage. I also felt the bmcc footage (in respect to the lens flares) looked like the aperture wasnt as wide open meaning a natural sharpness increase in the flares. the first dolly shot showed the 5d3 falling foul to its large sensor. the shallower dof made it look less sharp overall.

bmc's bokeh test looked way nicer than the 5dmk3. goes t show the full frame and a f1.4 is too shallow to be taken seriously any more.

Another interesting aspect of this video is how it demonstrates that all the talk of '2.3x crop' is nonsense. You are not using the full sensor when shooting video on a 5D, so the 8mm on BMC was quite a bit wider than the 16mm on the MkIII! To match the BMC field of view, I think you'd need a 14mm, and that's the widest rectilinear available for 35mm EOS.

And of course we shouldn't even be comparing the 'crop' from 3:2 35mm stills to a 16:9 video camera, but that's another rant.

[quote name='septemberdawn' timestamp='1348276751' post='18858']
WOW!

Magic indeed.

Whats happenning with the BMC footage @ 08:21 to 08:33
[/quote]

You mean the shimmer effect? That's actually an optical effect cause by looking through heat rising from the ground. It doesn't show up in the 5D footage because the lens doesn't get close enough.

I mean this in the most respectful way but, I find it funny when people think they see moire or aliasing effects in the BMCC footage only to find that it's an actual optical effect that you would see with your naked eye. :-) The mesh back chair in the "Pool shark" footage comes to mind. I have a feeling that if you see something weird going on in BMCC footage, chances are, it's either an optical effect or was introduced in post ([i]like what happened to John one time when the colorist converted the DNG files to... DNX I think it was? There was a weird aliasing introduced[/i]). Even the rainbow flare issue mentioned above, I think this was a lens issue. I mean, that's what the rainbow effect actually is anyway. Lens reflections. They're caused by light reflecting back and fourth between the deferent elements of the lens. The fact that they are all different colors is due to the natural effect of light bending through the glass at deferent angles for different colors. You can see this affect with a simple prism. It's commonly called Light diffraction. I know all about this kind of stuff because we are always trying to simulate this in 3D computer graphics. However, I have noticed this happening in some cases where it shouldn't. Like the moire in the resolution chart used to compare the BMCC to the C300... so... I may be wrong about that and it might have something to do with sensor alignment or beyering or something weird that I don't properly understand.

At any rate, the camera is going to be a hassle in some situations. There's just little things like not having any kind of file management in device so you always have to have a laptop nearby. But to me, the footage you get from it, far out ways those issues. I think that will stand the test of time eventually.

[quote name='galenb' timestamp='1348282104' post='18866']
You mean the shimmer effect? That's actually an optical effect cause by looking through heat rising from the ground. It doesn't show up in the 5D footage because the lens doesn't get close enough.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, I thought that might be the explanation.

[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1348243298' post='18820']
I have been going back and forth between the BMC and the GH3 as my next camera. This series of tests tilts the scale sharply back towards the BMC.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat - but after looking at what Davinci Resolve can do - It seriously shifts my thoughts towards the BMCC.

I have a feeling that as awesome as the GH3 is going to be - when the camera tests come out - it will be the same if not inferior to the hacked GH2 quality.

Time will tell - but this video seriously makes me want the BMCC over the GH3!