Panasonic GH3 hands-on report

Andrew Reid

Good JOB on the mini review.
I spotted this typo...[i]"Build quality is a great improvement over the GH3"[/i] obviously meant to be.. [i]over the GH2.[/i]
Other than the issue that you pointed out, can you tell if there is any [i][b]DC.Power IN socket or connection?[/b][/i]Are these cameras only powered with dedicated batteries? That could be a problem on long video takes/shoots.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='xenogears' timestamp='1348018820' post='18548']
My analysis for my next buy, pluses and minuses:
Lumix GH3:
+Nice codec
+Adaptable lenses
-The 8Bit 4:2:0 is a little let down in my list, hoping for 4:2:2 for better green screen work
-Lack of a XLR adapter as Sony.

Sony a99:
+Uncompressed 4:2:2
+EVF and LCD screen
-Aliasing and moire problems
-AVCHD codec

So? i guess i will go for the GH3.
[/quote]
Or wait for the rumored Olympus 'Pro M43'

[quote name='Chrad' timestamp='1348022368' post='18552']
The moire on the GH3 is extremely disappointing, and it got me thinking. As long as we're shooting videos with sensors designed for still images, we're always going to suffer from it. A truly balanced hybrid like the GH2 seems to have been a mere fluke.

It's all well and good to see projects like BMCC and Digital lolex, but there's another gaping hole in the video camera market needing to be filled, and that's for a small interchangeable lens camcorder with a M4/3 or larger sensor designed for video, priced at $1500 or below for the body. A camera like that would be huge with low budget filmmakers, guerilla shooters, kids who want to make backyard movies, you name it. The market is crying out for it right now. Sony have come the closest to providing it, but they've intentionally crippled them by reusing NEX and A99 sensors. What they are doing with that line is as bad as if Canon had put Powershot sensors in their Vixias.

Footage looked pretty bad for me considering the tests are surely made to hide those sorts of artefacts.

[/quote]
RE"kids who want to make backyard movies," Nope. Panasonic made it clear that this is NOT their market. I'm convinced that at $1,250 for a body and a firmware tweak or a filter in place, a little Moire will be the least of our worries. Frankly, 4:2:0 color space cuts a much bigger chunk of potential customers out of this camera due to issues grading in post & Color key. At $1,250 it's a steal when you consider that a premium DSLR cost that 6 years ago with nothing like these features.

[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1348024288' post='18554']
Aesthetic preferences aside...

If you were to sell your GH2 for $500 (a conservative estimate for the going price on eBay by the time the GH3 hits shelves) and bought a new GH3, what would $800 get you?

[b]What you are gaining with the GH3:[/b][list]
[*]72Mbit ALL-Codec -- stable out of the box, unlike some hacks
[*]1080P 60 frames shooting mode
[*]Finer and more evenly-distributed noise/grain
[*]No banding -- from the footage that has been released, so far so good
[*]Easier workflow -- drag-and-drop directly onto your timeline, regardless of editing platform
[*]Better, more intuitive interface -- already apparent from the photos from Photokina
[*]Better ergonomics right out of the box -- this should actually fit in your adult-sized hand
[*]Magnesium alloy, weather-sealed body -- it's nice to have, but only some of us really need this
[*]Headphone jack -- Andrew is reporting delayed audio monitoring... how useful is that going to be?
[*]Faster autofocus
[/list]
[b]What you are losing with the GH3:[/b][list]
[*]Minimal moire and aliasing -- it's back, but is it here to stay?
[*]Multi-aspect sensor -- some people prefer this
[*]Virtual library of hacks/settings (though this may come later with the GH3)
[/list]
(Please feel free to add to this list as I am sure that I have omitted some of the differences).

Is this the best way to spend $800? Personally, I have not made up my mind yet. I have the GH3 and BMCC on pre-order just to get in line, but sticking with the GH2 for another year may not be a bad move either. I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons as more information is becoming available.
[/quote]

Stop thinking too much. Get the GH3 then sell me your GH2 for $450. We both win!

Please shoot some still-image black frames! Put on the lens cap, shoot RAW, manual mode, fast shutter, and take two shots each at ISO 200, 400, 800, and 1600. That will tell us more about the real sensor dynamic range (and whether it's really the same E-M5 sensor) than random footage or stills of real stuff.

Andrew, would you please ask about the wi-fi functions with Android and iOS devices? It says on the website that you can remote live view and review what you've taken. But it is written in a way that could mean that it only works in photo mode. Would you see or ask if you can live view with video? That would be amazing if so. Here's the page that speaks on it:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/body_expandability.html

I'm also interested to know more about the difference between the two modes for headphones. And of course, I'm with the other guys that Pocahontas needs to be reviewed more. You know, to check skin tones and all that stuff. ;)

Thanks!

Andrew the price oddity is not just limited to the UK. In Ireland the Camera Centre have the GH3 Body only for pre-order at a 'Special price' of 1900 Euro!

[url="http://www.camera.ie/brands/panasonic/digital-cameras?page=3"]http://www.camera.ie/brands/panasonic/digital-cameras?page=3[/url]

I phoned Panasonic about the price being nearly double that of the US and the customer service rep told me that this was due to extra taxes and 'transportation costs.'

Meanwhile it seems that a German site have it at a more reasonable price of 1,800 Euro but that includes the 14-140mm Kit lens (not so great who already got the above with a GH2).

I'd say for most European and especially UK and Ireland customers this markup is going to be the biggest issue so please press Panasonic on the same if you get a chance. They need to come out with some clearer numbers.

[quote name='Digital Master' timestamp='1348060882' post='18580']
[size=5]Hello Andrew & friends.... [/size]

[size=5]Some low light tests by Emanuel Pampuri with Lumx GH3 (Beta firmware ...[/size]

[size=5]Filmed in Paris... Le Louvre.... [/size]

[size=5]Best regards[/size]
[/quote]

The slowmotion shots in Pampuri (girl on phone) and in Genesis ( loading luggage in taxi) do not seem very smooth. Could you check today when you get your hands on?

[quote name='AaronChicago' timestamp='1348061508' post='18581']
Why did this guy get a camera?
[/quote]

look at the video. its fun and enjoyable to watch. he made the effort to get a girl to perform in front of the camera in an amazing location.

this will sell more cameras than a sharpness and dynamic range focused test by some stuffy kid on the internet.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1348065591' post='18589']
look at the video. its fun and enjoyable to watch. he made the effort to get a girl to perform in front of the camera in an amazing location.

this will sell more cameras than a sharpness and dynamic range focused test by some stuffy kid on the internet.
[/quote]

If you were Panasonic, wouldn't you be very picky about who was posting footage of your new camera online the week of its announcement. Looks like theyre having a great time and all, but it's really not getting me hyped up for the GH3 , at all.

Footage from Photokina booth is a different story, but to send a preproduction camera to someone who is taking shots of his cat. I mean give one to Andrew for goodness sake.

[quote name='Steven Phipps' timestamp='1348064618' post='18585']
Correct me if im wrong, the pyramid there in front of the louvre, isnt that about the most prone to aliasing structure on earth? I ve never had the best eye for this sort of thing, but I dont see any.
[/quote]

Every shot where the pyramid is in focus has no pan.

[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1348066996' post='18595']
This is the softest footage I have seen from the GH3 yet.
[/quote]

Maybe related to Voigtländer. I prefer softness. The clip is neither convincing nor disappointing.