Panasonic GH3 hands-on report

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
HDMI is uncompressed 4-2-0

I didn't have a Ninja with me to test, the Ninja was busy beating up Philip. Nor did I have my Zacuto EVF to hand but this is pretty solid info - Slashcam guys know their stuff http://www.43rumors.com/gh3-info-no-multiaspect-sensor-uncompressed-hdmi-out-with-420/

• Administrators
Man... I thought he'd shot it with an Alexa. Was stunned when he said GH2. Wasn't even hacked. The 720/60p mode on that camera is probably the best there is.

But also all credit to him, his shot selection and choice of lenses was extremely good.

I'd gladly contribute this week end by pushing the footage in post from your raw files Andrew to see how they hold up.
And then share the results here.
Sadly I most likely won't have any time until Saturday.
If you have the time to do a quick edit until then I'd gladly take a glance at something like this:

[url="http://postimage.org/image/r2mgys5hz/"][img]http://s15.postimage.org/r2mgys5hz/gh2_dynamic_range.jpg[/img][/url]

I took some of my raw gh2 footage and simply recovered the shadows and highlights in AE.

Would be nice to see the same before and after on the gh3 footage if you can.

Using the new high dynamic mode of course :)

My analysis for my next buy, pluses and minuses:
Lumix GH3:
+Nice codec
+Adaptable lenses
-The 8Bit 4:2:0 is a little let down in my list, hoping for 4:2:2 for better green screen work
-Lack of a XLR adapter as Sony.

Sony a99:
+Uncompressed 4:2:2
+EVF and LCD screen
-Aliasing and moire problems
-AVCHD codec

So? i guess i will go for the GH3.

The moire on the GH3 is extremely disappointing, and it got me thinking. As long as we're shooting videos with sensors designed for still images, we're always going to suffer from it. A truly balanced hybrid like the GH2 seems to have been a mere fluke.

It's all well and good to see projects like BMCC and Digital lolex, but there's another gaping hole in the video camera market needing to be filled, and that's for a small interchangeable lens camcorder with a M4/3 or larger sensor designed for video, priced at $1500 or below for the body. A camera like that would be huge with low budget filmmakers, guerilla shooters, kids who want to make backyard movies, you name it. The market is crying out for it right now. Sony have come the closest to providing it, but they've intentionally crippled them by reusing NEX and A99 sensors. What they are doing with that line is as bad as if Canon had put Powershot sensors in their Vixias.

[quote name='Steven Phipps' timestamp='1348020824' post='18551']
@xenogears what have you seen that makes you believe sony a99 has aliasing and moire issues? not being an a$$ im just curious because i read a comment somewhere that said the without the web compression the pic was brilliant.
[/quote]
[quote name='EOS'][url="http://twitter.com/EOSHD/status/248169793109250048"]A99 = moire & aliasing hell!! Ouch[/url][/quote]
Footage looked pretty bad for me considering the tests are surely made to hide those sorts of artefacts.

[list]

[/list]

[quote name='xenogears' timestamp='1348018820' post='18548']
My analysis for my next buy, pluses and minuses:
Lumix GH3:
+Nice codec
+Adaptable lenses
-The 8Bit 4:2:0 is a little let down in my list, hoping for 4:2:2 for better green screen work
-Lack of a XLR adapter as Sony.

Sony a99:
+EVF and LCD screen
-AVCHD codec
[/quote]

If I can add the Sony NEX VG900 to the list:

+EVF and LCD screen
+Adaptable lenses
+Full frame sensor (as a99)
-AVCHD codec

Now no-one seems to know how little image control and what kind of encoding it will have but it is compelling me right now and I like the form-factor. Thoughts?

Aesthetic preferences aside...

If you were to sell your GH2 for $500 (a conservative estimate for the going price on eBay by the time the GH3 hits shelves) and bought a new GH3, what would $800 get you?

[b]What you are gaining with the GH3:[/b][list]
[*]72Mbit ALL-Codec -- stable out of the box, unlike some hacks
[*]1080P 60 frames shooting mode
[*]Finer and more evenly-distributed noise/grain
[*]No banding -- from the footage that has been released, so far so good
[*]Easier workflow -- drag-and-drop directly onto your timeline, regardless of editing platform
[*]Better, more intuitive interface -- already apparent from the photos from Photokina
[*]Better ergonomics right out of the box -- this should actually fit in your adult-sized hand
[*]Magnesium alloy, weather-sealed body -- it's nice to have, but only some of us really need this
[*]Headphone jack -- Andrew is reporting delayed audio monitoring... how useful is that going to be?
[*]Faster autofocus
[/list]
[b]What you are losing with the GH3:[/b][list]
[*]Minimal moire and aliasing -- it's back, but is it here to stay?
[*]Multi-aspect sensor -- some people prefer this
[*]Virtual library of hacks/settings (though this may come later with the GH3)
[/list]
(Please feel free to add to this list as I am sure that I have omitted some of the differences).

Is this the best way to spend $800? Personally, I have not made up my mind yet. I have the GH3 and BMCC on pre-order just to get in line, but sticking with the GH2 for another year may not be a bad move either. I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons as more information is becoming available.

[quote name='Chrad' timestamp='1348022368' post='18552']It's all well and good to see projects like BMCC and Digital lolex, but there's another gaping hole in the video camera market needing to be filled, and that's for a small interchangeable lens camcorder with a M4/3 or larger sensor designed for video, priced at $1500 or below for the body. A camera like that would be huge with low budget filmmakers, guerilla shooters, kids who want to make backyard movies, you name it. The market is crying out for it right now. [/quote]

I am still hoping that something comes of this design that Panasonic has patented: [url="http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-will-launch-a-gx1-by-end-of-this-year/"]http://www.43rumors....d-of-this-year/[/url]

NAB 2013?