The Panasonic GH3 is here

Andrew Reid

This camera has my name on it. I think this is my new A Cam. I've been reading the many negative comments about the lack of certain features or price and I must say that it's just funny to me. This is a GREAT camera for the price. Even with the increase in cost, it's still better than many cameras that are more than twice as expensive. Besides it's just another option. If it's too much there are cheaper options including the GH2, so really there's no reason to be negative about the GH3.

I love the fact that Pany has given us higher levels of quality settings and more range on the adjustments of color and contrast. This is one of my biggest wishes. Love the built in Slow mo. Happy about the increase in DR in particular the low light improvements. Low Light settings are the majority of the work I do. Can't wait to get my hands on this camera. I don't have the budget for a BMC so this really helps to soften the blow.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
This is my new B cam along with the BMCC. It makes a great M4/3 kit for nearly everything. And yet really affordable! I could buy those 2 cameras rig it, buy some glass to finish my lenses kit and yet it would be cheaper than a FS700... And probably buy a new tripod, Fresnels... Led...

Amazing how cheap you can equip now with a good professional kit without breaking your account.

And it's weird to think that just 6 months ago I was saving for a new scarlet cam...

It just keep getting better and better! Great affordable times indeed!

If somewhere in the mix of Gh3 topics and comments, someone has already confirmed this, please forgive me. (i'm so afraid a troll will jump out of the logo above with, "G-- DAMNIT NOOB!!)

Has anyone heard if it's still using 8bit, 4:2:0?

@ Andrew,
Thanks for the update on the picture styles! I was hoping for something along the lines of a Log type profile.. Hopefully it lets you adjust accordingly to your liking.

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1347903241' post='18376']
Before FW1.1 came out, the boss of the development department at Pana asked users to send their wishes. Mine was. among others, peaking. They answered, yes, we could color the sharpened outliness (looks like aliasing sometimes on moire-typical structures). But they didn't. However, if you know it's there, you see it the moment your motif turns sharp. Very useful.
[/quote]
This needs more explanation. Now that I know it's there I still can't see it.

[quote name='TJB' timestamp='1347912151' post='18386']
This needs more explanation. Now that I know it's there I still can't see it.
[/quote]

Took me a while, and only see it when shooting or if I turn off the manual focus enlargement... And on hard edges only.

I think that - sadly - it's almost possible to confirm that it's not a multi-aspect ratio sensor.

In Panasonic's website it says it's possible to take 12MP (4608x2592) images while shooting video, which would be exactly the same size as what you would get with the same width as the normal 4:3 image. In the GH2 you would get a 14MP (4976 x 2800) still from a 16:9 aspect ratio.

I still have a little hope, but I guess that's final.

I just can't understand why changing that if that was a feat that a lot of people liked and appreciated.

- edit -

Now that I think about it, this is silly. Unless Panasonic screwed in their own website, it's not a multi-aspect ratio sensor and it's 72Mbps - just confirming since some people are saying 80Mbps.

It's interesting that it doesn't matter if it's 24p, 50p, whatever, in All-I it will always be 72Mbps and in IPB it will always be 50Mbps. Doesn't it mean that at 24p you will always get less compression?

[quote name='theSUBVERSIVEBIRDS' timestamp='1347917625' post='18391']
It's interesting that it doesn't matter if it's 24p, 50p, whatever, in All-I it will always be 72Mbps and in IPB it will always be 50Mbps. Doesn't it mean that at 24p you will always get less compression?
[/quote]
For All-I, if the bitrate really stays the same. For IBP only marginally, because when you, say, double the framerate per second from 25 to 50 (Europe for example), you would for the sake of efficiency use relatively longer GOPs, and no one found a quality loss, because you put the same amount of data within the same time span. Of course single frames, if you pause the playback, were be slightly degraded, people who want to use 50/60 fps for slomos won't like that. Typical AVCHD- Camcorder have 24 mbps for 24/25p and 28 mbps for 50/60p, the latter often described as 'better quality' but also as too clean and videoish.

Apologies for my previous rather flippant post. Back on topic. The footage looks great. Rolling shutter looks to be very much reduced. I think the train shot is misleading - yes, you can see the rolling shutter, but that train is moving very rapidly across the frame and the lines are pretty close to vertical. You can hardly see any jello effects in other parts of the film which are shot hand held. And, no question, it looks sharper than the 5D3.

After seeing the prototype first shots ungraded [url="https://vimeo.com/49558910"]https://vimeo.com/49558910[/url], NOW I am convinced.
Highlights SEEM on a Canon level finally so far, though I want to see some night time shots w/ street lamps. But, so far looks great. And skin tones seem on point too.

Definitely impressed so far. Take my money!

How do you guys know that it's going to be as sharp as the GH2? if it's using a totally different more conventional sensor it could just be soft OM-D quality with a higher bitrate. Still going to need to see some raw footage. Entirely different sensor leads me to question this will be as sharp as the previous camera.

[quote name='bradleyg5' timestamp='1347939531' post='18414']
How do you guys know that it's going to be as sharp as the GH2? if it's using a totally different more conventional sensor it could just be soft OM-D quality with a higher bitrate. Still going to need to see some raw footage. Entirely different sensor leads me to question this will be as sharp as the previous camera.
[/quote]
[url="https://vimeo.com/49558910"]https://vimeo.com/49558910[/url]
Watch the prototype footage.

[quote name='bradleyg5' timestamp='1347939531' post='18414']
[/quote]

Trust your eyes. If you download the "Genesis" original 686MB file that was uploaded to Vimeo and take a look at the first shot of the girl and the shot of the guy sleeping when the phone first rings then you'll see a lot of fine detail. If it's not the same detail as the GH2 it's around (either more or less). The weird thing is some shots look sharper than others. Could be a focus issue, or perhaps the EX TELE being used (like in the first long shot of the motel, as stated by Philip: it's shot from the same point of view as the car leaving the site and driving off to the right).

[quote name='KahL' timestamp='1347939300' post='18413']
After seeing the prototype first shots ungraded [url="https://vimeo.com/49558910"]https://vimeo.com/49558910[/url], NOW I am convinced.
Highlights SEEM on a Canon level finally so far, though I want to see some night time shots w/ street lamps. But, so far looks great. And skin tones seem on point too.

Definitely impressed so far. Take my money!
[/quote]

that's funny because when I saw this footage my reaction was were the hell is the high dynmic range?
Highlights and shadows are burned out and the footage is too contrasted, dslr like.
Looks no better than the gh2 to me but I know I must not make a judgement on a single video, so I am not, and waiting for more footage.

I personally wasn't aware but the pre-order price at BH is $1299 - read some speculation earlier that it would be more and I'm pretty damn happy it isn't.

[quote name='KarimNassar' timestamp='1347951588' post='18421']
Looks no better than the gh2 to me but I know I must not make a judgement on a single video, so I am not, and waiting for more footage.
[/quote]

Definitely looks better than GH2 to me and I think KahL is right in saying the footage looks more Canon-like. Its not a C300 or F3 but those ugly shadows seem fixed.

[quote name='KahL' timestamp='1347940712' post='18417']
[url="https://vimeo.com/49558910"]https://vimeo.com/49558910[/url]
Watch the prototype footage.
[/quote]

The footage still looks soft especially in lower light levels. I would think this could be on par with a canon mark3