The Panasonic GH3 is here

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[url="http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/gh3-official.jpg"][img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/gh3-official.jpg[/img][/url]

Described by Panasonic as a semi-professional 'creative HD hybrid' and a flagship model for the company, the Panasonic GH3 is finally here - 2 years after the GH2 arrived. The official unveiling answers some of the mysteries too.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Multi aspect ratio:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html
the resolutions don't look like multi-aspect.
Same horizontal resolution in 4:3 and 16:9. With a multi-aspect sensor they would be different like on the GH2.

There is mention of an Ex-Tele mode in "live view" on the spect at
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/specifications.html

There's definitely confusion about multi-aspect. I wish one of those who actually had a camera had just taken a couple of $#@! stills and taken a look at the image sizes. Best guess at the moment is probably no. Bloom's update says definitely EXTC (was used some in Genesis).

Well if this has ETC in video mode in 2.4X, 3.6X and 4.8X ratio and can use HDMI out then I am VERY PLEASED. Looks as if there has been a lot of misinformation that I have inadvertantly taken as fact albiet in speculation. I shall try to be more careful next time.

As long as the softness seen in genesis can be cleared up I think this could be a WINNER and just hope it is 4.2.2 hdmi out even at 8bit. I now don't see this as a SHEEP IN WOLVES clothing competitor to the BMC But a different tool!

Well done Panny if this is the case.

Spec sheet of dreams.

I been waiting for a m4/3 sensor camera to come out for use with anamorphic lenses. not gone with the gh2 yet due to expecting this to come out. The BMC is out of the question due to file sizes. this is perfect. Will an Iscorama 36 + 25mm taking lens vignette on m4/3?

Will this provide 4:3 recording at 70mbit?

I'm still not getting it, my 5dII with Alexs hack can record above 50mbit/sec h.264, so that's hardly game changing. All-I is an inefficient codec that has shown to not substantially increase image quality, I suppose the one advantage is those on slow macs won't have to transcode all their footage to be able to edit.

60fps is not particularly slow motion and totally pointless otherwise.

Still no confirmation on the clean HDMI output.

The build quality is much higher, but in the way that makes it seem more like a travel camera.

A big improvement in DR and bitrate. However there is still a process look about it and should never be compared with the BMC whose quality outclassed the GH3 by a country mile. For those who ordered a BMC especially MFT and you are not too bothered about not having 60fps your money would be better spent on new M43 manual lenses instead. On the other hand if your budget is $1200 and you wanted a video dSLR it is a no brainer, go for the GH3.

[quote name='bradleyg5' timestamp='1347889688' post='18338']
I'm still not getting it, my 5dII with Alexs hack can record above 50mbit/sec h.264, so that's hardly game changing. All-I is an inefficient codec that has shown to not substantially increase image quality, I suppose the one advantage is those on slow macs won't have to transcode all their footage to be able to edit.

60fps is not particularly slow motion and totally pointless otherwise.

Still no confirmation on the clean HDMI output.

The build quality is much higher, but in the way that makes it seem more like a travel camera.
[/quote]

gh2 out of the box at 24mbs is better quality than your 5dmk2 at 50mbs with proper lighting. Bitrate isnt everything, but the way the gh range acquire the footage from the sensor is different meaning a bitrate increase on this is going to add worlds more quality than a bitrate increase on any 5d. Add into the equation the increase on DR (a weak point of the gh2) and professional body, and the price being less than half a 5dmk3 and the excitement amongst film makers is justified. 60p full hd on the gh3 will probably be about 4 times sharper than 720 60p on the 5d. Twixtor with 60p is nuts - dont knock it till you tried it.

The only reason for a 5D in movie making nowadays is when you cannot light a public place enough for lesser low light machines to work. And this single advantage is soon to be killed off by the upcoming Sony full frame camcorder. The full frame is a disadvantage for all other types of work IMO

Peaking: You are all wrong. Even the GH2 has peaking and I hope it will still be implemented in the GH3. I am used to it, and I can focus intuitively and without pumping back and forth. It is not colored, that's what you probably mean, and better so, because I find red peaking distracting. Check your viewfinder and your display, it can't be deactivated.

The rest: Let's just wait a few days, and we will see ...