Canon 6D officially announced - a more compact and affordable 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
so except for the headphone jack there are absolutely NO disadvantages to the 5D3? and it costs 40% less?

thats going to be interesting. a few rumors said the GH3 would cost just under 2000$ which is about the same as the 6D. so now consumers can decide if they want a brilliantly equipped camera, but with a 4/3 sensor (GH3) or a Full Frame camera with a few known flaws (6D) for about the same price.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1348002334' post='18517']
Totally bizarre isn't it?
[/quote]

I thought it was strange at first, too. But then I thought - what's the BFD? No one is going to rely on the built-in mic anyway...so with the help of a $30 cable, you can monitor audio from the audio input jack. Or, if you're using a Beacktek XLR unit, that has its own headphone jack. Once you've set the levels on the Mk III to match the Beachtek, why would anyone need a headphone jack on the Mk III?

The 6D seems otherwise a great way to save $1000+ and get a more nimble 5D body.

[quote name='swester' timestamp='1348058291' post='18579']
I thought it was strange at first, too. But then I thought - what's the BFD? No one is going to rely on the built-in mic anyway...so with the help of a $30 cable, you can monitor audio from the audio input jack. Or, if you're using a Beacktek XLR unit, that has its own headphone jack. Once you've set the levels on the Mk III to match the Beachtek, why would anyone need a headphone jack on the Mk III?

The 6D seems otherwise a great way to save $1000+ and get a more nimble 5D body.
[/quote]

OR just get the D600 for the same price and headphone jack :)

[quote name='Zach' timestamp='1348081586' post='18616']
OR just get the D600 for the same price and headphone jack :)
[/quote]

Sure - I thought the same thing, except for a few big problems I discovered:

Cannot adjust aperture in Live View while recording (why this oversight??? [b]argh[/b].)
Pitifully inadequate codec (max 24mbps H264) and unlikely to be hacked. Carrying around an external recorder at all times is simply not practical.
Unknown moire situation (could be fine, but until testing, this is an unknown).

Otherwise, I do think the D600 is very cool. But those issues really do kill it being a perfect alternative to the 6D. Sad, because Nikon could have blown Canon out of the water.

[quote name='swester' timestamp='1348093842' post='18634']
Sure - I thought the same thing, except for a few big problems I discovered:

Cannot adjust aperture in Live View while recording (why this oversight??? [b]argh[/b].)
Pitifully inadequate codec (max 24mbps H264) and unlikely to be hacked. Carrying around an external recorder at all times is simply not practical.
Unknown moire situation (could be fine, but until testing, this is an unknown).

Otherwise, I do think the D600 is very cool. But those issues really do kill it being a perfect alternative to the 6D. Sad, because Nikon could have blown Canon out of the water.
[/quote]

Hopefully the aperture thing will be fixed with firmware. Seems silly!
In all of the footage I've seen so far the moire seems to be gone! It looks to be a beautiful image. I'm excited/hopeful to see more

[quote name='septemberdawn' timestamp='1348108970' post='18659']
The Making of 'Deep Green'....additional footage starts at 03:00

The soundtrack and behind the scenes glimpses are of interest.

(the YouTube footage is heavily compressed)

[url="http://youtu.be/GCNgphOaWRg?hd=1"]http://youtu.be/GCNgphOaWRg?hd=1[/url]
[/quote]

So, is the aliasing there because they filmed it at 720p? I would really like to see some 24p footage to see if its as clean as the 5DIII

• 4 weeks later...