Canon 6D officially announced - a more compact and affordable 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/canon-6d-full-frame-dslr.jpg[/img]

The full frame Canon 6D has just been formally unveiled as Photokina opens for the press. A competitor to the Nikon D600 (also to be unveiled today) this is a near identical camera to the 5D Mark III in many respects especially video it seems. But like the 60D compared to the 7D, it is cheaper and smaller.

It features a new 20MP sensor but a similar (if not identical) DIGIC 5+ processor of the 5D Mark III.

It has built in WiFi and GPS unlike the bigger brother. The only real compromises seem to be in the AF system, lack of 100% viewfinder, lack of headphone jack, slightly slower burst rate for stills and lack of left side button panel.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Canon confuses me. I love Cinestyle and the way canons see color.. (i know that's an oxymoron since cinestyle flattens out everything, but even grading it, i seem to get more aesthetically pleasing results) - But the GH cameras have cleaner images and more lens options. Then in order to have the shortcomings of the Canon's that the GH's automatically don't have, you need another $10,000.

I guess I should just stfu about it & realize....in the end......

........they truly were...

Stills cameras.

😔

[size=3]Andrew[/size]

[size=3][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hope you will investigate the difference between the "6D All-I" and Nikon "D600 uncompress HDMI out "[/font]

Not sure what they mean by uncompress. RAW[/size]

[size=3]They are saying 8bit 4:2:2 so its not raw[/size]

Yes, the specs are close to those of the 5D3... but they're even closer to those of the 650D (T4i).
I want to hear about the aliasing/moire (or lack of it), and confirmation that the LCD screen resolution posted everywhere is a typo (102400 is the highest ISO for stills, and would mean 226x150 or so)

I know many indies won´t care, but NO FREAKING HEADPHONEJACK?
This sooo obviously is a deliberate crippling to make a video centric pro/con when deciding between the MIII and the 6D.
I will never ever buy a dslr without a headphone jack again. Not if I intend to ever use it for video.
Again this is from a documentary/one-man-army perspective.
But even if I´m just recording a sync track, who wouldn´t want to check what´s ending up on camera?
But what I´ve seen so far, it looks like a system/mount change for me anyways.

[quote name='Germy1979' timestamp='1347875797' post='18312']
Canon confuses me. I love Cinestyle and the way canons see color.. (i know that's an oxymoron since cinestyle flattens out everything, but even grading it, i seem to get more aesthetically pleasing results) - But the GH cameras have cleaner images and more lens options. Then in order to have the shortcomings of the Canon's that the GH's automatically don't have, you need another $10,000.

I guess I should just stfu about it & realize....in the end......

........they truly were...

Stills cameras.

"gh cameras have more options"
I am lost now ;-(

😔
[/quote]

Clearly the 6D is aimed at inde-videographers and docu-cinematographers and the initial price of $2099will drop sub-2000 by year-end, and it is an adequate video-DSLR replacement to the 5D mark II (which will probably be discontinued soon). The demo Canon video is up on youtube along with comparisons to the 7D and 5D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQTOJGUzWs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQTOJGUzWs[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjK18nFE4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjK18nFE4U[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKI5dv6phA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKI5dv6phA[/url]

Here's an interesting quote from Canon Rumors forum:

[i]"According to Canon USA the image format of 6D is 35.8mm x 23.9mm, 5D2 is 36mm x 24mm.[/i]
[i]I guess Canon just trim down the 5D2's sensor a bit. Maybe the AF is also modified from the 9 point AF in the 5D2. In this way, Canon is able to use these 4 years old parts to create a new body, reduce the overstocked 5D2 sensors and AF module and cut the cost a lot. Three birds with one stone."[/i]

[i]"As it stands right now it's not really a FF cam - it's a crop camera with a 1.006x crop factor..."[/i]

I suppose it won't be long til we find out. That would be seriously cheap, even for Canon. If we can find out the dot pitch of the sensor, then we should know...

[b]EDIT: "With a pixel pitch of 6.55 microns, that could be a boon in the sensitivity department, as the 5D II was 6.4 and the 5D III was 6.25 microns."

I'm assuming it's different then?[/b]

Based on that sample video (the quarter resolution one on Canon's site--not the upscaled youtube one) this looks sharper than the Mark III and closer to the 1DX, but it's impossible to tell at such low res.

I wonder if it's doing something closer to what the 1DX is doing, skipping every third line, so you get a little more aliasing but better sharpness and resolution, too.

It's kind of funny (less so for me since I own a 5D III) but I think Canon was really trying to make the ultimate mid-range hybrid camera, but the pixel binning trick around which the entire sensor was conceived (combined with Canon's soft debayering and super primitive sharpening algorithms) just made the camera soft.

The GH3 not only seems sharper, it appears as though a lot of work was done to get rid of read noise, a major problem on the new Canon cameras. For those who have lenses to support it, it sure looks like a winner. The 6D might be interesting if it is sharper and this much cheaper than the 5D, though. FF cameras are way easier to outfit; everyone rents EOS lenses, not everyone rents SLR Magic primes!

I'm ditching my 60D by the end of the year. I got plenty of EF-S glass that will either be sold off or used depending which way I go. It's been an interesting and steep learning curve finding out I'm more into video than stills.

If the quality is there with the GH3 and it flies off the shelves that will cause a 6D price drop. There's also the BMC & the VG900 they will be enticing to enthusiasts (like me) who want to stretch for better quality. Looking forward to more hands on reviews with the Panny. Stills are of lessor importance to me than video. I'd be much happier with a raw shootin pocket camera than dragging around a DSLR & lenses. Its a good move with the Wifi & GPS, 'Got to keep up with the jones's'.

Often I'd be out with my 60D, take some shots and want to share them straight up. Ended up pulling out my iphone instead with instant sharing and GPS Tags... LOL Go home and forget about the shots on the DSLR. So a camera that shoots raw/jpg with Wifi & GPS is fine by me! Still prefer a pocket size for that though.

But thats me I don't do this for a living, some of you guys/gals might. For me its to put some visuals to music that I write.

Love this site Btw. So much to learn

[quote name='jgharding' timestamp='1347897281' post='18359']
Here's an interesting quote from Canon Rumors forum:

[i]"According to Canon USA the image format of 6D is 35.8mm x 23.9mm, 5D2 is 36mm x 24mm.[/i]
[i]I guess Canon just trim down the 5D2's sensor a bit. Maybe the AF is also modified from the 9 point AF in the 5D2. In this way, Canon is able to use these 4 years old parts to create a new body, reduce the overstocked 5D2 sensors and AF module and cut the cost a lot. Three birds with one stone."[/i]

[i]"As it stands right now it's not really a FF cam - it's a crop camera with a 1.006x crop factor..."[/i]

I suppose it won't be long til we find out. That would be seriously cheap, even for Canon. If we can find out the dot pitch of the sensor, then we should know...

[b]EDIT: "With a pixel pitch of 6.55 microns, that could be a boon in the sensitivity department, as the 5D II was 6.4 and the 5D III was 6.25 microns."

I'm assuming it's different then?[/b]
[/quote]

5D2 is 36x24mm, 5616 x 3744
6D is 5472 x 3648
For those to be the same photosites on a firmware-cropped sensor, the active area on the 6D would have to be 35.1x23.4mm (1.0263x crop)

[quote name='jgharding' timestamp='1347975875' post='18446']
Hmm, looks like it is new. Looking at the sample video on Canon's web site, there seems to be quite a bit of Moire, even through the compression...
[/quote]

I'm hoping thats because they filmed at 720x60. And possibly had the sharpening way up. I think the canon video looks terrible. Waiting for someone who knows what they are doing to get their hands on it