Full GH3 image and specs leak. And you can preorder the GH3 at Samys!

Matt

[b] [url="http://www.43rumors.com/full-gh3-image-and-specs-leak-and-you-can-preorder-the-gh3-at-samys/"]Full GH3 image and specs leak. And you can preorder the GH3 at Samys![/url][/b]

[url="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3398826-11131378?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samys.com%2Fp%2FDigital-SLRS%2F25488%2Fpanasonic%2F116314.html"][img]http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bildschirmfoto-2012-09-16-um-08.55.21-1024x422.png[/img][/url]
Full specs, price images can be see now at [url="http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3398826-11131378?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samys.com%2Fp%2FDigital-SLRS%2F25488%2Fpanasonic%2F116314.html"]Samsy (Click here)[/url]. You can already preorder the camera! And here are the specs:

The [b][url="http://www.very.co.uk/e/q/panasonic.end"]Panasonic[/url] DMC-GH3 Lumix Body (Black)[/b], is a new and highly evolved model from LUMIX, creator of the world’s first digital single lens mirrorless (DSLM) camera.
The body has been engineered to incorporate a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor, a 4-CPU Venus Engine, and a newly designed low-pass filter. The creative expression made possible by these innovations, render even the finest textures in intricate detail, breaking new ground in photographic realism. The new model also features Contrast AF with a high level of response. And its magnesium alloy frame is tightly sealed to resist splashes and dust, making the DMC-GH3 rugged enough to withstand the rigors of professional use.
[b]Features:[/b][list]
[*]16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor
[*]HDR (High Dynamic Range)
[*]Double OLED Display
[*]Splash/Dustproof Design
[*]Full-HD Progressive
[*]Smartphone or Tablet Linking
[/list]
In addition to supporting a wide range of recording formats, the DMC-GH3 features a special heat-dispersing design for extended high-quality recording. Its specifications match those of many professional cameras, ensuring that it meets the demands of video field work. The LUMIX GH3 was designed from the ground up to provide seamless multi-media performance for both stills and videos. It may well be the world’s first camera to please professional photographers by offering them the best of both.
The DMC-GH3 features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with a level of sensitivity that produces flowing gradation from shadows to highlights. High resolution and a wide dynamic range create truly stunning images that look like you could reach out and touch them. High-sensitivity ISO 12800 (extended: ISO 25600) and extensive noise reduction give you remarkable images even in dim lighting.
In the DMC-GH3′s Contrast AF system, the image sensor doubles as the AF sensor to resist any mechanical margin of error. Compared with Phase Difference AF, the focusing is precise even at small F-numbers. A faster sensor and engine also achieve a higher focus detection speed than most traditional DSLR models.
The DMC-GH3 gives you 1920 x 1080 60p [NTSC] / 50p [PAL] Full-HD recording. Progressive scanning records every frame, so the amount of data contained is twice that of interlace scanning, and the images have extremely high definition.
The Wi-Fi® function lets you use a smartphone* to make settings and press the shutter button remotely, a short distance from the camera. The auto transfer function is handy for automatically backing up photos onto a tablet. This lets you monitor them on the tablet without having to upload them to a PC. You can also start timer interval video recordings from a smartphone. And you can use GPS data to simultaneously record the shooting location onto your images. Effective Megapixels 16.05 Megapixels

Megapixels 17.20 Megapixels

Image Sensor Live MOS/17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)

Sensitivity 200 – 12800

Storage Media SD Secure Digital

Compatible [url="http://www.very.co.uk/e/q/memory-card.end"]Memory Card[/url] SD, SDHC, SDXC

Lens Mount Micro Four Thirds mount

Lcd Monitor Type OLED Monitor with static touch control

Lcd Screen Size 3.0 in.

Computer Interface USB 2.0 High Speed

Lens Focal Length Multiplier Micro Four Thirds (2x Crop Factor)

Maximum Shutter Speed 1/4000

Exposure Modes Program AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual

Shutter Speeds 60 – 1/4000th

Builtin Flash Yes: Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction (when iA, iA+), Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction

Battery [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=li-ion%20battery"]Li-ion Battery[/url] Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh)

Dimensions 132.9 x 93.4 x 82.0mm / 5.23 x 3.68 x 3.23 in

Weight Approx. 470g / 16.58 oz (Body only)

Auto Focus Contrast AF system

Flash Type TTL Built-in-Flash

Red Eye Reduction yes

Continuous Shooting Speed 6 fps

Weather Proof no

White Balance Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Incandescent, Flash, White Set 1, 2, Color temperature setting Video Resolution 1080 Full HD

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The build has moved up that would merit a price increase. However like all things dSLR I expect price to fall by 1/3 in a few months to $800. With the BMC delayed I think GH3 will do well and a perfect B camera for the BMC MFT plus it does 1080p 60fps to cover for the lack of it in the BMC.

No weather proof :huh:

@Simco123 If the GH3 can meet or exceed the GH2 in every aspect, and it adds a better build and some new features, then a price increase is justified.

My comment was about the specifics of that price increase. The body only is launching for 44.4% more than the MSRP for the body only GH2. I think many people expected no more than a 30% price increase, etc.

[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347789009' post='18210']
@Simco123 If the GH3 can meet or exceed the GH2 in every aspect, and it adds a better build and some new features, then a price increase is justified.

My comment was about the specifics of that price increase. The body only is launching for 44.4% more than the MSRP for the body only GH2. I think many people expected no more than a 30% price increase, etc.
[/quote]

I don't know were you got this "many people" from. GH2 had a small price increase over GH1 and GH3 with a lot more thrown in over GH2 and it appears GH3 has gone upmarket and targeting some section of the pro market competing with the alternative FF rivals.

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1347789978' post='18218']
I don't know were you got this "many people" from. GH2 had a small price increase over GH1 and GH3 with a lot more thrown in over GH2 and it appears GH3 has gone upmarket and targeting some section of the pro market competing with the alternative FF rivals.
[/quote]

I understand your quote about differing markets (no qualms that need to be addressed yet in that area) but the price increase?

GH1 - June 2009
MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500

Later on the lens sold for $850 alone but too much time passed before a body only configuration was available to give useful data]

GH2 - At Photokina 2010

MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499.95
(With 14-42mm) $999.95
Body only $899.95

I do not see a price increase from the GH1 to GH2: they both launched with the same MSRP in a kit lens configuration.

We see a pretty strong price increase from the GH2 to the GH3 in a body only configuration.

[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347791287' post='18221']
I understand your quote about differing markets (no qualms that need to be addressed yet in that area) but the price increase?

GH1 - June 2009

Later on the lens sold for $850 alone but too much time passed before a body only configuration was available to give useful data]

GH2 - At Photokina 2010

(With 14-42mm) $999.95
Body only $899.95

I do not see a price increase from the GH1 to GH2: they both launched with the same MSRP in a kit lens configuration.

We see a pretty strong price increase from the GH2 to the GH3 in a body only configuration.
[/quote]

The GH3 packs a LOT more features. Apart from the weather sealing, the wi-fi, the tablet/ Smartphone sync, the higher battery power, much higher dynamic range (the GH2, apparently has less dynamic range than the GH1), better sound, GPS etc. There are any things, more, we'll figure out, once we get one of these beasts, in our hands.

IMHO, the price increase, is, therefore, not completely unjustified.

[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347791287' post='18221']

GH1 - June 2009

GH2 - At Photokina 2010

(With 14-42mm) $999.95
Body only $899.95

[/quote]

There is a price increase from GH1 to GH2 going by your calculation. I hope you are not an accountant or doing someone else's :blink:
GH1 - June 2009
MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500 minus price of lens at $850 leaves you $650 body only.

GH2 MSRP $900 gives you about $250 increase over GH1 MSRP
GH3 MSRP $1300 is about $400 over GH2 MSRP but with a much bigger jump in build quality and feature upgrade

Its about right to me.

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1347792083' post='18224']
There is a price increase from GH1 to GH2 going by your calculation. I hope you are not an accountant or doing someone else's :blink:
GH1 - June 2009
MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500 minus price of lens at $850 leaves you $650 body only.

GH2 MSRP $900 gives you about $250 increase over GH1 MSRP
GH3 MSRP $1300 is about $400 over GH2 but with a much bigger jump in build quality and feature upgrade

Its about right to me.
[/quote]

I will thank you to accurately represent what I said, if that is not too much trouble. :)

The lens was not available separately at launch for the GH1. The GH1 was not available as body only at launch. The body depreciated rapidly - the lens did not. I quoted the price for the body "later on".

The lens had not yet depreciated significantly when the GH2 launched. It has depreciated greatly since then.

In other words, a lens that had not depreciated and a brand new body with improved functionality across the board (MJPEG going from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 being the only exception) sold for the same MSRP. I stand by my original statement and evaluation.

[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347792555' post='18225']
I will thank you to accurately represent what I said, if that is not too much trouble. :)

The lens was not available separately at launch for the GH1. The GH1 was not available as body only at launch. The body depreciated rapidly - the lens did not. I quoted the price for the body "later on".

The lens had not yet depreciated significantly when the GH2 launched. It has depreciated greatly since then.

In other words, a lens that had not depreciated and a brand new body with improved functionality across the board (MJPEG going from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 being the only exception) sold for the same MSRP. I stand by my original statement and evaluation.
[/quote]

But you are dealing with MSRP. If you want to talk about depreciation just wait till January and the price of the GH3 will be even less than the GH2 MSRP.

Okay - let us try it simpler, then. :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH1 - June 2009[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1509[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]No Body Only Option[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH2 - At Photokina 2010[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][size=3]MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499.95[/size][/color][/font][/background]
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][size=3]Body only [/size][/color][/font][/background][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]$899.95[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Adjusted for inflation, the GH1 is ever so slightly more expensive. :)[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH3 (Body only) currently at $1299.99 street[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I do not know what the kits will look like, but if we are just looking at that, it seems expensive.

Do not get me wrong: I am not saying products should not be priced high when they deserve.

The Red Scarlet launched for a fair price, the C500 launch price is a great value, etc.

The GH2 was an incredible value. The GH3 has a lot to live up to if it wants to warrant an (apparent) 44% price increase.

All I am saying is, I hope it does. And the features you mentioned are not what will decide that for me.

[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347792888' post='18228']
Okay - let us try it simpler, then. :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH1 - June 2009[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH2 - At Photokina 2010[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499.95[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Adjusted for inflation, the GH1 is ever so slightly more expensive. :)[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]GH3 (Body only) currently at $1299.99 street[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I do not know what the kits will look like, but if we are just looking at that, it seems expensive.
[/quote]

Its like comparing apples to oranges mate. Inflation adjusted, how about technology changes and market expectation?
GH1 camera if released today even at MSRP price would not be anywher near it was in 2009 so forget that theory.. Inflation adjusted means the GH3 is only marginally more expensive than the GH2 when it came out in 2010.

The GH3 is not an incremental upgrade we saw from GH1 to GH2 but is now a whole new level comparable to the Canon 7D replacing the 50D.

Honestly, I do know what you are trying to say. Inflation between 2010 and 2012 has not even been close to 44%. From 2009 to 2010 it was less than 2%.

As far as market expectations: the GH1 was up against the 5DMkII and 7D during its early lifespan. When the GH2 launched, you had to spend a lot more to get an equally sharp (or sharper) picture and it was not available in a mirrorless or DSLR. There were no "cinema" cameras outside the DSLR form-factor. The AF100 was $4,500 without offering notable improvements in dynamic range or resolution - just initial codec performance (which the hack for the GH2 soon nullified). No larger sensor options with a decent codec were available for any less than the AF100 either.

The GH3 is up against the 6D, D600 (with larger sensors) for somewhere around the $2,000. The BMCC offers a LOT more dynamic range and $995 industry leading grading software, etc. for around $2,995.

There was nothing like that sort of competition for the previous one. That would seem to drive prices down, not up - unless the functionality really stepped up.

The primary image quality improvement over the GH2 (that is currently more fact than promise) is 1080 60P. The GH2 offered ETC functionality, improved low-light performance, an increased ISO range (the GH3 also does that last part), better color saturation options, increased control over noise reduction, evolved the sensor and still managed to increase still resolution significantly. On top of that the camera was much, much more capable to be improved by hacked settings than the GH1 and the video resolution was also improved. The microphone was improved, the AGC settings (even before hacking) allowed more modifications (and after hacking let you all but disable it). Bracketing was improved. Burst mode speed was improved. A "40 frames in one second with electronic shutter" mode was added. New filming rates (mainly lower framerates) were added in VMM...

I mean, it was a HUGE step-up. Unless you were a huge fun of 4:2:2 MJPEG on the GH1 there was no reason not to upgrade. It was demonstrated to be better in every way than the original and there was essentially no competition for video quality until you got up to several times the price.

The GH3 now has a competitor with the same mount, higher resolution video-output, and has not confirmed that it can match the 13-stop dynamic range of the BMCC. Note the BMCC matches the dynamic range of several $14,000 plus cameras released within the last year at ca. $2,995.

I am not sure what market expectation you are talking about, exactly.

• Administrators
I can't believe some people are complaining about the $1299 price tag. Have you forgotten what you're getting and what a big step this is up from the GH2? Blackmagic is considered a bargain at $3000, and it is. But the GH3 has 1080/60p, a larger sensor, stills, swappable internal battery, better low light performance, is smaller and lighter, likely better handling, more physical controls, the list goes on.

And next to the Blackmagic after you've graded raw, ALL-I 72Mbit H.264 stands up very well with a fine grain of noise and as much detail.

What the BM does better is 2.5K resolution, the advantages of raw for grading and likely an extra stop of dynamic range. Very different cameras but if the BM is a bargain then the GH3 bloody well certainly is.

I love both personally even though I've not used either yet. My view may swing one way or another once I do.

@EOSHD The GH3 is not just competing against the BMCC - it also competing against the GH2. The only advantage from that list that we are sure applies in that comparison is 1080 60P. The strength of the codec vs. hacked settings for the GH2 has not been proven/disproven scientifically yet and until it is, there a question mark.

The BMCC is likely to have more than a stop of dynamic range advantage over the GH3 - though I will be pleasantly surprised if the GH3 gets closer. The BMCC has 13 stops dynamic range in video - you had to go well over $10,000 to get that before - and that was my point. That the market is much more competitive now than it was before.

All I am saying is, the fact that Panasonic changed directions in regards to the sensor makes the price increase a little anxiety inducing. Now there are a lot more questions that need to be addressed before it can be clear what areas are better than the GH2 and what are not.

The GH2 improved on the GH1 in every area (save for taking MJPEG from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0) while keeping all the things we liked. If things were as clear-cut with the the GH3 vs the GH2, there would be no anxiety.

If the image quality differences in empirical testing show that the new design improves on the GH2 design without introducing new weaknesses (and if we do not lose functionality from the GH2) then the price increase and sensor dimensions will be easier to swallow.

But if it turns out we lose functionality (hypothetically, EX Converter mode for example) then that will make the price increase harder to swallow alongside the sensor dimensions change.