Genesis - is this the Reverie moment for the GH3?

Andrew Reid

i dont think so ...panasonic venus engine does good job ...
softness could be introduced by color correction , on lens filters or low bitrate vimeo stream (its too early to speculate )
maybe new venus engine in gh3 use better resizing algorithms than gh2(who already did great)...

ironically gh2 cpu does much more computation than c300 ..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
[quote name='markm' timestamp='1347800106' post='18251']
Cameraboy Some speculation. Would that lead to the sort of softness we see in Genesis do you think? Maybe its got a filter for moire and aliasing that adds to the softening we have seen?
[/quote]

I am amazed people don't know the difference between 7Mbit and 72mbit. VIMEO IS A 7MBIT STREAM!!

It was 720p even, until yesterday evening.

Of course it looks soft and macro blocked and crushed.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1347801838' post='18258']
I am amazed people don't know the difference between 7Mbit and 72mbit. VIMEO IS A 7MBIT STREAM!!

It was 720p even, until yesterday evening.

Of course it looks soft and macro blocked and crushed.
[/quote]
Philip Bloom mention that version he got and upload to vimeo was low bitrate and bad quality ...

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1347801838' post='18258']
[/quote]

Agreed its a very low bitrate and obviously will be much better at 72 or higher intra
(most of us have seen/edited/graded with those high bitrates a lot...we do know the difference).
Actually the actual value of the GH3 1080P version is 11.4Mbps maximum (pixel peeping here) I tested it on 2 analyzers.

BUT I have seen plenty of 720P videos on Vimeo that look way sharper than that one and 1080P ones as well.
This one for example shot on the GH2 is MILES BETTER for detail and its bit rate is less than the GH3 upload...around 4.5 max.
[media]http://vimeo.com/39913748[/media]
Download it...and have a look at her face and hair on a still at around 18 seconds, all the detail is there, it looks great to me...even downloaded from Vimeo (standard).
Now look at any shot of the guy in that room when he is still, even the girls face..theguy is downright soft and the girl close up is OK but not great (not what I would call great anyway),
So especially with the hi shots of the guy in the room and other parts as well ...its either shot out of focus or they compressed the crap out of it before they uploaded to vimeo, or something dodgy is going on in the camera or the focus.
Dont get me wrong I want to love the GH3...I want to be wrong about this!
But this clip is a turn off to me, something else has happened other than the Vimeo compression, look at the other clip and tell me I am wrong.
Sorry to disagree.
Cheers

[quote name='cameraboy' timestamp='1347804641' post='18266']
there something about big companies and their promo videos ...
they can make high tech cameras and space technologies but no decent convert image on vimeo or you tube ...
[/quote]

LOL!! :) True...I hope you are right!

Not sure what to think about the image quality of the vimeo video Bloom shot. I'm going to wait for more videos to come out before making any judgement. I didn't love the image as presented but I'm still being patient.

(I will say that, as a tangent, that after watching the Zacuto shootout and hearing hour after hour of DPs saying "it's all about the story" that I'd like to make that group sit through a screening of this horrible story and get their reaction. I agree story is important and maybe it's because DP's always have to shoot such horrible material that they cling to that mantra. For a potentially groundbreaking camera for image and price marketed for an indie crowd, it disappoints me that we still are being subjected to the same calling card short film shit that used to be shot on 35mm. Of course, these issues are no fault of the camera. I would just like to see more of an "exploration" than Genesis. Of course I'm just ranting, but I'd like to see this new technology used in more interesting ways. Ok, rant over. Ha.)

[quote name='cameraboy' timestamp='1347830332' post='18277']
[url="https://vimeo.com/49420579"]https://vimeo.com/49420579[/url]
download enabled...
[/quote]

This is going to be pixel-peeped to death, but personally, I am impressed by the image. Alexa, F65, Red, C300, it is not. But as far as my own personal gear goes, I can tell a story with this.

After seeing the 686MB download file... wow, just wow. The resolution is not any greater than the GH2 but also not worse, about exactly the same. That being said, what is striking is the grain structure in low light, presumably higher ISO shots - exactly how I would like to see it rendered. It is uniform and sprinkled, with no harsh horizontal bluish banding (that my GH2 is known to produce even with the hack). With regard to color banding in the sky or on beige walls, there simply is none. That has always been a challenge for my GH2, requiring me to sometimes introduce grain to overcome it, which then squashes detail to some extent. Then add to the fact that this is a pre-production model and I have to say, way to go Panasonic. This is alot of bang for the buck at $1299, and we still don't have the full specs with regard to timelapse, slow mo modes, Log profile, etc. Only a few more hours until the reveal :)

About the 686Meg MP4 file...I think Philip said its the original uncompressed file from memory.
Just some pixel peeping for some to chew on.
The 686Meg MP4 file is 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps...(so relatively speaking its still quite low),
its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling and its 8 bit.
It does look quite good, and much better than the previous 1080P version, I would not call it stunning (the quality I mean), but it does have a certain look to it that is likeable on the 686Meg version.
Obviously the camera is capable of A LOT more tho.
Its entirely possible that the All I Frame higher bitrate option was not available on the version of the Camera that they used to do this clip, P Bloom said the HDMI out was not working on that Camera, so it was probably quite an early version of the GH3.
Anyway it will be interesting to see what the 72Mbps ALL-I frame quality is like and what the chroma subsampling is on the higher bitrate etc....

Its terrible. First Panasonic allowed videos and specs to be released, and then, it removed, everything. I feel like a kid, whose candy has just been taken away, by the school bully. I can't wait till Tuesday. I might die by then.
Please send me the numbers of some good lawyers, in Germany. Panasonic had it coming.

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1347796698' post='18238']

The GH2 on the Zacuto challenge had arguably the best picture of the lot. Albiet within its confines Now that must mean resolution and colour rendition work well. As for its limitations you have to make sure exposure is set right to get great images.and it's 4.2.0 8 bit BUT thats at the bit rate and various settings emplyed by Driftwood lpowell etal
The GH3 has a lot to live up to and you might find good and bad like Improved low light less banding issues that could come with less resolution no crop mode and colour rendition that is not as good as the GH2. The GH2 is a form of open architecture for experts like Vitaliy and who knows what else could come from this. The GH3 will almost certainly be closed.

[/quote]

No it did not and that bit of strong misinformation was further perpetuated by this site as well.
The GH2 had a [u]HUGE [/u]amount of grading only surpassed by the iPhone and scene re-lighting to compensate for its small DR. The actual default image (shown in Ep.3) wasn't very good at all beyond resolution detail really.

I'm curious to see what the "wide dynamic range" capability actually is with this newer model though. The colors are a big turn off for me, so maybe that's a saving grace beyond deluded fandom support :-/