Genesis - is this the Reverie moment for the GH3?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'd like to see what would happen if BMD wanted to buy Sony sensors for their camera. Quite happy though to share it around with other competitors. Wonder what that could mean?

Seemingly Panasonic don't intend to push their sensor crop idea IE crop mode could be perfect for Super 16mm Crop mode perfect for 16mm frame size with monitor out

What happens when they want to bring in a replacement for the AF101.

Can you imagine if Panasonic had made a multi aspect sensor that cleanly and perfectly catered for Super 16mm and standard 16mm lenses. A new model for the Panasonic AF101? Wouldn't that have made more sense By putting in a better sensor in the AF101 and adding high bit intraframe And/or 10 bit 4.2.2 out they could have totally cleaned up.

[quote name='cameraboy' timestamp='1347792628' post='18226']
what's wrong with sony sensor ..it's best 4/3 sensor ever made ...
panasonic did brave move ..better to buy from sony if they can't match spec ...
[/quote]

Well its probably a good 4/3 sensor BUT!!
In the non Multi aspect 16mp is used only in 4/3 mode, thats standard for all non multi-aspect sensors.
Other modes (that most people use these days) are just croppings such as 16:9 etc.., because less sensor is used, and less detail.
It just simply crops from the 4:3 frame so you have a lot less FOV (both vertical & horizontal) than what you can get from a Multi-Aspect sensor.
Also all wide lenses will be less wide than they are on the Multi Aspect sensor of the GH2..less wide, less detail, cropped from 16mp.
Doesn't sound that enticing to me!! but thats only my opinion based on what I like.
On the upside DR will probably be better, gradation will probably be better and low light etc..
So the question is (and that is up to the individual) what do you prefer?
I know what I prefer especially with the latest GH2 hacks and what I can do in post...
but thats based on my needs, and what I like.
YMMV
Cheers

• Administrators
Yes cinema Pierre, like that screened at the Skywalker Ranch for Coppola.

You don't know it doesn't have a flat profile yet.

You don't know if it looks better than the GH2 yet because you're judging massively compressed web footage at 7Mbit - not ALL-I 72mbit 1080p.

Muppet post of the year?

The important thing is while they all share the same sensor with each other and no one else then how are our interests being served. I guess if Panasonic wanted to lock the hackers out then by locking their own sensor people would moan but by putting Sony's in then no can. Also it can help them leave m4/3 after all is there any future for the format now.

Yes the GH2 frame size is 18.70 x 10.50 mm and will now be slightly smaller and yes we just lost crop mode and most likely the ability to use hacks for different things IE Driftwoods night and Day or colour corrections for different light levels etc.

The GH2 on the Zacuto challenge had arguably the best picture of the lot. Albiet within its confines Now that must mean resolution and colour rendition work well. As for its limitations you have to make sure exposure is set right to get great images.and it's 4.2.0 8 bit BUT thats at the bit rate and various settings emplyed by Driftwood lpowell etal
The GH3 has a lot to live up to and you might find good and bad like Improved low light less banding issues that could come with less resolution no crop mode and colour rendition that is not as good as the GH2. The GH2 is a form of open architecture for experts like Vitaliy and who knows what else could come from this. The GH3 will almost certainly be closed.

We need some tests done to find out exactly where we stand with the GH3.

Maybe the GH2 will become a one off and sought after camera in the future.

• Administrators
Regarding the sensor, the partially complete specs at Samy's hint at multi-aspect ratio, made by Panasonic.

This Sony sensor rumour is just that, a rumour.

I'll try and explore this a little more at Photokina and dive into the details, like whether it still has a 1:1 crop mode, whether the HDMI is uncompressed 4:2:2, etc.

The specs say 17.20MP total pixels, 16.05MP effective. It then says '17.3 x 13.00mm IN 4/3 MODE' suggesting the sensor size changes to 19 x 10.5mm in 16:9 mode like the GH2.

Genesis was shot with the benefit of very good lighting that basicly could put this in line with all the luxuries and benefits of the Zacuto challenge 3 IE Bruce Logan as a member of the ASC His skill with lighting is a master. Another thing is the colour correction was professional so we need ungraded footage to make any judgement. This was where BMD and their campaign was so useful to those wishing to do camera tests.

I guess we will see.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1347796739' post='18239']
Regarding the sensor, the partially complete specs at Samy's hint at multi-aspect ratio, made by Panasonic.
This Sony sensor rumour is just that, a rumour.
I'll try and explore this a little more at Photokina and dive into the details, like whether it still has a 1:1 crop mode, whether the HDMI is uncompressed 4:2:2, etc.
The specs say 17.20MP total pixels, 16.05MP effective. It then says '17.3 x 13.00mm IN 4/3 MODE' suggesting the sensor size changes to 19 x 10.5mm in 16:9 mode like the GH2.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Andrew...these are the kind of details we want to know about, that and the profiles as well, exactly what they are?...how much color control etc...

yup ...
12 or 13.9 MP are overshot for 1080p...
8MP would be perfect ... my English is less than perfect but i try to explain ...
2x2 pixel binning in 8MP sensor gives perfect 1080p image ....
but if 12MP sensor does 2x2 we get 3MP image ...
then camera CPU needs to do quick'n'dirty realtime resizing to 1080p and that introduce softness to image and some moire/aliasing ...

[quote name='cameraboy' timestamp='1347798225' post='18249']
yup ...
12 or 13.9 MP are overshot for 1080p...
8MP would be perfect ... my English is less than perfect but i try to explain ...
2x2 pixel binning in 8MP sensor gives perfect 1080p image ....
but if 12MP sensor does 2x2 we get 3MP image ...
then camera CPU needs to do quick'n'dirty realtime resizing to 1080p and that introduce softness to image and some moire/aliasing ...
[/quote]

Cool!! Thanks for the response...Hopefully when the GH2 is unveiled at Photokina we will know more.