Genesis - is this the Reverie moment for the GH3?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/49420579[/media]

Could this be the moment Panasonic finally get the wider acceptance they deserve for the GH line?

Here's the first promotional short movie shot on the Panasonic GH3 by [url="http://philipbloom.net/2012/09/15/genesis/"]Philip Bloom[/url].

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It looks like Panasonic really listened and made the GH3 a great tool for cinema shooters. The GH2 was already great and I'm keeping mine, but will definitely be finding room for a GH3! and a few more lenses.

What I'm really looking forward to is side by side tests to the hacked GH2. Along with the list of improvements we've seen in the specs already, If Panasonic somehow managed to top or even equal the resolution of the hacked GH2, they've got a winner.

YES!!!!!! Man that was great. I'm so excited about this camera. I can't think of a reason to knock a camera in this price range that offers this much. The GH is still the king of the low cost cameras!!! Many of us said we'd pay a little more for the features we needed and it seems Pany really listened. The Hack community really helped them make a great product and I think it's gonna be a big hit.

Being able to record at such a high quality level IN CAMERA with SD cards makes this such a great low cost tool. Already many lens options available. Now we need some 3rd party rigs and other things to make it even better. Can't wait to see more about the picture profiles. I didn't see any banding or issues that stood out.

[quote name='nickname' timestamp='1347731182' post='18144']
at least it´s not sexist as the bmcc shots. but doesn´t make it the better camera unfortunately.

still looks videoy and over sharpened. and this from the "cinematic" guy...

also i don´t get why anyone wants a dslr after the bmcc is out.
[/quote]

Of course this one is sexist too. Half naked man sprawling over the bed and then getting on his knees. Not exactly gender neutral PC clap trap in either samples.

[/quote]
Sometimes you want something small and light for inconspicuous guerilla filming, or for shooting in cramped spaces and other inconvenient locations with minimal equipment. The BMCC is actually quite heavy, especially with an external battery rigged up.
A smaller camera also allows for Steadicam shots without the need for a huge rig like the Pilot.
The GH3 also has a killer feature that the BMCC lacks...overcranking.

For all of these reasons I think it would make a great B cam to the BMCC M43. Plus, it's the camera I'd use if I wanted to shoot something quickly and publish it the same day.

Bonus: you can take on-set stills with it using the same lenses you brought with you for your A cam.

[/quote]

It costs 1/3 of the price, probably even less considering all you have to buy to be able to use the BMCC properly, that alone is a huge reason. Stills and 1080/60p are another couple great reasons. Do you have any doubts that Panasonic will sell thousands more GH3 cameras than Black Magic Design?

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1347731358' post='18145']
Of course this one is sexist too. Half naked man sprawling over the bed and then getting on his knees. Not exactly gender neutral PC clap trap in either samples.
[/quote]

if this wasn´t sad it would be funny. or am i not getting your irony? am i reading homophobia as well as chauvinist revisionism?

[quote name='Bruno' timestamp='1347733004' post='18149']
It costs 1/3 of the price, probably even less considering all you have to buy to be able to use the BMCC properly, that alone is a huge reason. Stills and 1080/60p are another couple great reasons. Do you have any doubts that Panasonic will sell thousands more GH3 cameras than Black Magic Design?
[/quote]

no doubts, no illusions! unfortunately.

Everything I dislike about the GH2 remains on display. Those people look so green it's as if they are half-lizard. The color science is more like color fraud.

Sorry if I have insulted your baby. But look at the lovely use of color in Reverie in comparison...sure we see the macroblocking and aliasing today, but at least the thing doesn't make me wretch.

Bruce Logan's color work in the Zacuto shootout 3rd episode was stellar. This is the camera, not those professionals.

[quote name='Bruno' timestamp='1347733004' post='18149']
[/quote]

Free Resolve 9 and Ultrascope, take that into consideration and the GH3 will not be so cheap when you take into account the expected price increase over GH2.

[quote name='peederj' timestamp='1347733755' post='18153']
Everything I dislike about the GH2 remains on display. Those people look so green it's as if they are half-lizard. The color science is more like color fraud.

Sorry if I have insulted your baby. But look at the lovely use of color in Reverie in comparison...sure we see the macroblocking and aliasing today, but at least the thing doesn't make me wretch.

Bruce Logan's color work in the Zacuto shootout 3rd episode was stellar. This is the camera, not those professionals.
[/quote]

Agree about the skin tone, its a bit yucky. Lets hope the production camera makes it more gradeable to reduce the yuckiness.

[/quote]

What I don't get in people nowadays is how they think that everybody has to have the exactly same necessity over things and usually - actually always - think that people has the same necessity as them, like it's not possible to have different needs. This kind of discussion pop-up everyday in forums and it's a completely waste of time.

BMCC was made mainly for cinema rigs, external battery, the complete set and that's not cheap and I'm saying that because in the interview, the BMCC designer said that the internal battery is a luxury, that the camera was not made for that purpose. The internal battery is just for moments when you need to change things or you want something small for a specific situation, that sort of thing.

Not everybody needs nor wants that. Sometimes you need something more practical, for run and gun situations, sometimes you need a smaller package, sometimes you don't have the money, etc. There are several reasons which shows that people have different priorities and different needs.

Both BMCC, GH3, the new A99 can share some common market, but at the same time, they also aim at different segments and users. I have a friend that shoots documentaries and for his case in particular, he doesn't need high ISO, shallow DOP and wide DR. That is not his priority, he needs something more practical, with interchangeable lens and built-in ND filters. In this case none of this cameras are that appealing and he prefers an old camera like the Panasonic AF100.

It shouldn't be so hard to understand that you* are not the center of the Universe.

*generically speaking

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1347733831' post='18154']
Free Resolve 9 and Ultrascope, take that into consideration and the GH3 will not be so cheap when you take into account the expected price increase over GH2.
[/quote]

It's not like you need Resolve and Ultrascope to use the GH3, is it?
You do need it to work with BMCC raw material though.

And if you do need Resolve, there's a free version.