The Panasonic GH3 calls to explorers

Andrew Reid

After seeing the built and video quality (and features for sound), of the GH3, I am guessing, it will be noticeably more expensive. Maybe around US$ 2000, with the lens kit (or, maybe, a little under). That's just my guess. Also, because, This Time Around, Panasonic are gonna go All Out, to make sure it outsells (justifiably), all other DSLRs, that record HD Video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1347732081' post='18146']
After seeing the built and video quality (and features for sound), of the GH3, I am guessing, it will be noticeably more expensive. Maybe around US$ 2000, with the lens kit (or, maybe, a little under). That's just my guess. Also, because, This Time Around, Panasonic are gonna go All Out, to make sure it outsells (justifiably), all other DSLRs, that record HD Video.
[/quote]

It is $1299 at launch. I expect it to drop to $800 in January. However it does not appear to have weather proofing according to Samys.

Yes, I just read that, a little while ago. Am glad. So, maybe with the kit lens, it should be well within $1799 or so (hopefully). I wish they have some fast Panasonic glass at Photokina. Something like the Zuiko f2 zooms. Though, I guess, that would make them prohibitively expensive. hmmm ...

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1347732081' post='18146']
[/quote]
True, but they still are giving us a small(er) sensor, compared to the others.
(I´m not starting a chip-size discussion here, just stating a fact. We all know what images the GH2 is able to deliver...)
The M4/3 design has gone retro all over (from what I can see) and the GH3 still tries to mimic a DSLR. So IMHO potential buyers will not compare it to the OM-D or a (bigger chip) Fuji, but rather to APS-C cameras.
The GH3 has of course much improved, but people will compare it to the D7000, the 650D/T4i and of course the 60D and 7D (with still pending updates).
Sony has introduced (and Fuji probably will) FF to the compact camera segment. The 600D also shrinks body size. APS-C is already there. So big chips in small bodys can be done. As much as I´m exited about the GH3, as hesitant I am to buy it considering the latest developments.

I was just checking the GH3 at samy's (after someone posted the url and information).
[url="http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS/25488/panasonic/116314.html?utm_content=11131378&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=cj_affiliate_sale&utm_term=Canon+EOS+Rebel+T3i+with+Free+16GB+Memory+%26+Camera+Case+on+Point+%26+Shoot+Cameras"]http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS/25488/panasonic/116314.html?utm_content=11131378&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=cj_affiliate_sale&utm_term=Canon+EOS+Rebel+T3i+with+Free+16GB+Memory+%26+Camera+Case+on+Point+%26+Shoot+Cameras[/url]

It has smartphone or tablet linking, which I am assuming, helps do the equivalent of what apps like the DSLR Controller ([url="http://dslrcontroller.com/"]http://dslrcontroller.com/[/url]) do for the Canons (minus all the wiring). So i guess, you just add a Nexus 7, to your list of GH3 accessories, and you have a nice big live monitor, along with all the controls.wow.

[quote name='Simco123' timestamp='1347788731' post='18209']
It is $1299 at launch. I expect it to drop to $800 in January. However it does not appear to have weather proofing according to Samys.
[/quote]

Samys states it is splash and dust proof in the description, so the "no" on weather sealing must be a mistake?

Either that, or weather sealed and weather proof, are 2 different things, one being that it is reasonable resistant to bad weather and shooting conditions like the 7D, and the other to cameras, which can be dropped from a 5 foot height, and are water proof, till something like 15 feet. Or, maybe,its a plain error.
Also, doesn't having an articulated screen, make it less weather proof?