Canon G1X video samples - DIGIC 5 - I'm not impressed

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/canon-g1x.jpg[/img]

Don’t forget to download the original videos and view full screen

The G1X is the first of Canon’s large sensor cameras to use their long awaited DIGIC 5 image processor. 3 years in the making, it largely determines how the sensor is downscaled to 1080p. It also determines resolution, bitrate, encoding and how much aliasing and moire is produced in the downscaling / pixel binning process.

DIGIC 5 is built around a video core unlike the older DIGIC 4 and it largely determines whether Canon’s DSLRs in 2012 like the 5D Mark III, 1DX and 650D will be hit or miss because those too will all be DIGIC 5. So there is a strong possibility that the G1X is indicative of the image we will be getting from those. I certainly hope not…

Today [url="http://***URL removed***/previews/canong1x/page6.asp#video"]DPReview[/url] posted some direct from the G1X Quicktime clips in 1080/24p H.264 format. EOSHD has the analysis…

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6841/canon-g1x-video-samples-digic-5-im-not-impressed/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Strange how Andrew thinks that the G1X is a possible indicator of video quality for the 1DX when there is already a video sample from a 1DX which showed a rather different and much higher quality video than the G1X.
Canon already stated that the 1DX when release will have the highest bitrates at 44mbs than any dSLRs so I find this scare mongering a fret over nothing. Canon had digic 4 on smaller compact before and I don't see people making comparison.

The G1X samples on dpreview does showed a very mushy green field which contrast greatly with the 1DX sample (see end of clips)

[url=http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/player_heartbeat/movie.html?high]http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/player_heartbeat/movie.html?high[/url]

• Administrators
There are no full 1080p samples from the 1DX out there yet to my knowledge. That one is 540p and compressed for the web, can't be judged. The G1X files are straight from the card and can be judged. I am sure the 1DX will be better as it has DIGIC5+, but in case of DIGIC5 on 650D and even 5D Mark III, this doesn't bode well. Remember that all the DIGIC 4 cameras had similar video quality across the board.

so there seems to be line-skipping on the G1X

luckily, that doesn't mean there will be line-skipping on 1DX, 5D3, 650D, etc: line-skipping is there on current models mainly not because of digic-4, but because of the slow sensors they have; for example, the 18mpix sensor on the 7D, 60D, 600D, 550D has a read-out time of 60ms, which they can cut to around 20ms by reading out only one out of every 3 lines in the sensor (leaving it at 60ms would lead to incredibly horrible rolling shutter issues)

if the 650D shares that same sensor, it will have to do line skipping too, no matter if it has digic4 or digic5 (I think)

if it has a new sensor with faster read-out speeds (like the one on the 1DX, I'd hope), it could do without line-skipping (and only in this case, there's a new condition: ...only if digic5 is able to process all that information fast enough)

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=184.msg1337#msg1337 date=1326807027]
There are no full 1080p samples from the 1DX out there yet to my knowledge. That one is 540p and compressed for the web, can't be judged. The G1X files are straight from the card and can be judged. I am sure the 1DX will be better as it has DIGIC5+, but in case of DIGIC5 on 650D and even 5D Mark III, this doesn't bode well. Remember that all the DIGIC 4 cameras had similar video quality across the board.
[/quote]

So why not compress the G1X video to 540p and see if it is as good as the 1DX sample?
The sensor is much faster on the 1DX and I agree with Samuel this means it did would not need line skipping seen in G1X as Canon had already mentioned.

I was expecting this and honestly I don't see why this shouldn't indicate how the new DSLRs will be, this is not a stupid  "compact" camera with a small sensor, it's not even cheap! I don't see why they would put a worse video processing on this camera, I HOPE I'M WRONG
Once we get a real video sample from the new DSLRs if I don't see anything AT LEAST ON PAR with the GH2 I'm done with Canon

this is a great indication that digic5 on its own is not enough
but that doesn't mean we have to lose all hope: what we need is a faster sensor, the 1DX seemingly got it, and this one on the G1X is not the one that will be on the new APS-C canons
yes, the one in the new APS-C canons could be just as bad as this one, but it could also be great (say: a smaller version of the one in the 1DX: same technology and pixel count, but smaller photosites)
I know we're all losing patience with Canon, but, again: wait and see...

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=184.msg1355#msg1355 date=1326826413]
Could well be Canon protecting the sales of the APS-C dSLRs by down grading video quality in the G1X. If you want great video you really need the flexibility to use different lenses. The G1X cant do that so no need to have good video.
[/quote]

Or they will protect the C300 sales by giving crap video to anything below that price range (DSRLs included) like Sony did. If the c300 didn't exist I would have no doubt they will provide gh2-like new cameras. I wonder if the GH2 lowered the sales of the af100

[quote author=sandro link=topic=184.msg1359#msg1359 date=1326828674]
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=184.msg1355#msg1355 date=1326826413]
Could well be Canon protecting the sales of the APS-C dSLRs by down grading video quality in the G1X. If you want great video you really need the flexibility to use different lenses. The G1X cant do that so no need to have good video.
[/quote]

Or they will protect the C300 sales by giving crap video to anything below that price range (DSRLs included) like Sony did
[/quote]

Exactly! what I (and I think andrew as well) is afraid of. 

:(

[quote author=sandro link=topic=184.msg1361#msg1361 date=1326829317]
I'm afraid that's the most logical move for a company in this situation :(
[/quote]

Yup but the consumer obviously suffers. 

That is the trouble with convergence.  The smartest of companies will realize that once an over saturation of convergence happens, they will need to break divisions into strong "divergence" to maintain profits and customers.  The pro's will seek out high quality "divergence" products (think the strong sales of Rhode mics because of poor DSLR audio) and lower end consumers will shop based on price alone (starting to happen right now - lack of interest in 3D TVs).  This is how the current market is segmented.  When Canon blend a mush of tech into 20+ different products and the "divergence" pro see's a watering down, they won't bite.

I don't predict C300 sales to be very strong.  Rental houses, maybe...but thats about it.

My .02 cents

I very much doubt the 1DX video is as bad as the G1X. Canon said  the 1DX video is lightly compressed, that is not what they claim for the G1X. There is a lot on the video side the C300 can that a dSLR cant. Surely we all know by now having great video quality alone is not really enough for practical video use or we won't be buying bits and pieces to make our dSLR video worthy. The sensor speed on the C300 I think is faster too.

• Administrators
[quote author=burrencrawler link=topic=184.msg1526#msg1526 date=1327597046]
Is there a chance that the aliasing/moire/pixel downscaling problems could be fixed by firmware updates?
[/quote]

Very unlikely because it is more likely to be a sensor / hardware issue, and the firmware fix would have to be very low level and fundamental change. Even if Canon could fix it this way, they wouldn't. They'd have it better out of the box in the first place if it was just a small programming change.

• 1 month later...
Well that is just spastic then. Lets make a camera with a super big sensor, great lens quality, fast speed, all the bling, and then the video is crap. In that case i am off somewhere else and will keep on using my SONY DSC-HX9V camera and my 5DII. You just lost a sale Canon....idiots. Cant believe you would do this  ???