LADIES AND GENTS: THE GH3 !

XXX

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSwGHPJw74&feature=player_embedded[/media]

I hope the NDAs will also lift now...

EDIT: Just saw that the GH3 rumors thread already has the news, so if A wants to delete this one here, no prob...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The GH2 would have been awful were it not for the hack SO Two major concerns.
1) Has it got clean hdmi 10 bit out?
2) How much is it.

I don't think we'll see a replacement for the AF101 camera which with a better sensor and 10 bit out would have CLEANED up. Panasonic would have sold bucket loads. SO either there is something wrong with their marketing or deliberate crippling policy So excuse me for being cynical but this could be a token camera to keep those who invested in 4/3 lenses happy and put Vitaliy out of a job. After that is done why would they improve the image at all when they can improve the price.

Everyone else will perhaps move on to a larger sensor camera.

Later Panny can come out with its own upgraded larger sensor AF101. Call it an AF F3 and sell it for £10,000

I don't know why but I keep getting this image in my mind of manufacturer executives gathering together in some board room and deciding where to steer us in order to drip feed us on the same old, same old. Year in year out.

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1347623824' post='17972']
I don't know why but I keep getting this image in my mind of manufacturer executives gathering together in some board room and deciding where to steer us in order to drip feed us on the same old, same old. Year in year out.
[/quote]

Because that's half of the reality! The other half is competition, which keeps the features moving forward. Lack of competition lead almost immediately to Canon's piss-taking policy of giving as little as possible for huge money, but now they may have to rethink... Things move forward when there's competition, as soon as it goes and monopoly comes in, service collapses. as there's no incentive to improve.

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1347623824' post='17972']The GH2 would have been awful were it not for the hack SO Two major concerns.[/quote]That is total crap. The video image using the standard firmware is very decent indeed especially V1.1 that enabled 24/p25p at 24Mbps. There are plenty of people using the GH2 without any hacks as the image is plenty good enough & it doesn't hang/freeze & need the battery pulled to reboot it.

[quote name='nigelbb' timestamp='1347633274' post='17983']
That is total crap. The video image using the standard firmware is very decent indeed especially V1.1 that enabled 24/p25p at 24Mbps. There are plenty of people using the GH2 without any hacks as the image is plenty good enough & it doesn't hang/freeze & need the battery pulled to reboot it.
[/quote]
No offence intended. My perspective is from making films. Not consumer stuff. The GH2 was perfectly adequate without the hack for me to shoot test stuff rehearsals BUT the hack makes it usable at a professional level within its limitations. As far as the camera without the hack is concerned to my mind its unusable professionally.

jgharding
Just my own opinion on this based on what I've seen and become suspicious of. I think they will try to dominate and control the market with damage limitation promotion and for a little while a little uncrippling if not now then in the future a return to crippling unfair competition deals and fixing. Funny in any other area we would have competition rules and laws.

• Administrators
[quote name='markm' timestamp='1347634720' post='17991']
No offence intended. My perspective is from making films. Not consumer stuff. The GH2 was perfectly adequate without the hack for me to shoot test stuff rehearsals BUT the hack makes it usable at a professional level within its limitations. As far as the camera without the hack is concerned to my mind its unusable professionally.[/quote]

Far too much credit given to the hack there and not enough to the actual pros and shooters who use the GH2. The hack didn't magically turn the GH2 into a professional camera. Basically the main benefit of the hack is less compression and ALL-I. Image quality wise, the difference is actually quite subtle between the hacked GH2 and out of the box GH2 for most normal locked down shots. If you are throwing the camera around with a high shutter speed then yes, the image holds onto more detail whilst moving wildly. I also think motion in All-I looks subtly better. So yes the hack has merit but the difference is a lot smaller than you think.

Sorry Andrew will disagree with you on this one. Now people dont forget this is just my opinion so need to insult me with personal attacks or fanboy defences.

The original camera run ONLY at 24fps What use is that apart from internet films and vimeo test fan films. Can't record sound seperately and synch it without steps. Only useful for making films to transfer to celluloid if you could afford it and were dumb enough to do it as AVCHD at 8 bit 4,2 0 and 23mbps put paid to any of that.

So zero use as a film camera and zero use as a normal one.

They did upgrade it to 25fps MUCH later on AFTER Vitaliys hack and AFTER everyone had been crying out for 25p.

The camera was intentionally crippled surely we can all see that. How could Vitaliy, Driftwood, manage to get so much more out of it if this were not the case. Working on the assumption it was deliberatley crippled you have to ask what has changed and then have a close look at why the GH3 does what it does.

Effectively it trumps the GH2 hacks and may actually stop hacking
Next it allows the four thirds lenses to carry on in case people might think panny have deserted it. I'm sure they will desert four thirds next time round though.

The GH3 is it an answer to the BMC or to the slew of new cameras coming out now or are they all trying to squeeze Black magic out and recapture what they are losing along with all their mates. Because what they stand to lose is the ability to drip feed cameras with slight improvements. Segment the pro from the consumer and maximise money by small upgrades year on year. Simply because its got so bad (The crippling) That Black Magic can take off the shelf parts and make a camera that has pro res in built and RAW Throw in software worth about a £1000 and sell the whole lot for £2100. NOW forgive me for being cynical on the way we have been treated and are being goat herded into our pens again. I would think different if the new cams just simply had 4.2.2 10 bit out and decent sensors NOT crippled with bad processing. Come on this has gone on long enough and beyond a joke.

I am annoyed with camera manufacturers and the way they have done business I applaud Black Magic and want to support their ethos I dont want to see certain maunfacturers herd us all back into our compounds with glossy sales campaigns and guru speel in order to do it.

There is no reason why camera manufacturers cant output 10 bit in fact they have to take steps to prevent it from doing so.

• Administrators
Eh?? The hack never added 25p in 1080p. Also it is still 4-2-0 8bit with or without the hack and it doesn't put paid to filmmaking at all. I have learnt from experience that Vitaliy Kiselev is an overrated nasty little guy.

I won't be hacking the GH3. No need to.

I won't be hanging around his forum, he's unpleasent.

The hack is overrated. It was nice on the GH1, it genuinely fixed that codec mud.

Andrew

The GH3 does look a nice camera for messing about with and if the price is low enough I could buy one as an upgrade to my GH2. Although this time around I will probably go for a larger sensor like the [b]Sony nex ea50eh f[/b]or messing.

For the first time though we can get into the professional arena with the BMC and the BMC 4/3 is my main priority and will be my main cam. Nothing else even begins to cut it for me. I will truly have a baby Alexa. Good times ahead.