Nikon d600 full-frame

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='VFRE' timestamp='1348100578' post='18650']
Can anyone confirm the rumour that you cant change the aperture in LiveView for video? IF so, this is a deal breaker.
[/quote]

Several reviews have confirmed that this is indeed true. I can't see this not being fixed in firmware though. Heres a nice overview of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IosQ4xCJBB0

i was reading about this as well. its hard to wrap my head around how a camera this sweet could be released without aperture control in video mode! Lens's w ap rings is one solution, im wondering if you have to be in live view mode to monitor out the hdmi? is live view directly linked to the movie mode? i always use a monitor so it would not be an issue to me then. I ve only ever had pannys and canons i dont know much about nikons.

@andrew if you have a chance to peep this problem at the nikon booth please let us know more good sir!

Yeah, definitely some nice looking footage from the D600. Since all my old Nikon lenses are manual, the non adjustable aperture wouldn't be a problem for me.

But still, since it's the Sony 24mp full frame sensor that's being used, and the same as that which is in the VG900, I can't imagine a Sony NEX9 being too far off. As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Nikons don't have focus peaking? Which is somethng I use all the time on my NEX5N with old Nikon lenses attached. Only problem with Sony's cameras though, is the limited bitrates.

Unfortunately, from the clips that have been posted on Youtube so far, it appears that moire/aliasing rears its ugly head. It isn't nearly as noticeable as on the D800, but it isn't as clean as the Mk III either.

So, between this, the lack of aperture control for electronic lenses while recording, and the questionable stock bitrate...I'm losing hope that this will be the industry shaker that I had hoped it would be.

I wonder if all the trouble with Nikons' noise problem is simply due to auto ISO being on for most videos. Check out this vid on how to trick your D5100:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9lx7Hj6dzY[/media]

I was watching this, and it occurred to me that the noise might just be the auto ISO, and by limiting it, as this video suggests, you can reduce and eliminate it.

Went to best buy today with my dad to help him pick out a compact camera (he picked the S100!) and much to my surprise, I found a D600 sitting there! I stuck a card in and shot a bit of footage with it. Moire is definitely there, which makes me sad. Though its nothing we aren't used to...better than the D800 I think. Still there

Its funny, thought i've already read you can't change the aperture in live view, I was so excited to see the camera there that I completely forget about this fact. As i'm a canon shooter, it took me forever to figure how to change the ISO, then the shutter speed, but I was like "How the !@#$#!@$ do a change the aperture!" Got home and realized...

Nikon just seem to miss the target, every time. Apparently the HDMI out is crippled on the D600 too (small black frame around the signal)

They are in the PERFECT position to completly monopolise the HDSLR industry. No high end to protect and a great set of lenses to promote to a new market of filmmakers.

A slightly more paranoid man might think that Sony enforce some kind of deal on their video functions, when selling them sensors.

[quote name='evil_thought2' timestamp='1348336547' post='18917']
Fixed aperture is lack of manual control, isn't it? Who would want to leave liveview, change the aperture, then come back to liveview on a regular basis? That would be seriously annoying if video is primary reason to buy D600
[/quote]

That is correct, however everyone was making it sound as if you can not control any settings in live view. I just wanted to clarify that it was only aperture. You still have control over ISO and shutter. Yes, a major oversight sadly

Checked out the D600 in a store in Barcelona, wanted to know how it would "feel" not to be able to change aperture, because I guess for most VDSRLers this is second nature, no matter how it is changed on each cam.
I didn´t have a fader with me, nor did I bother to ask for one, but it didn´t "feel" good, not to have this control when I was panning through the store. Still, in 95% of my shots I leave the iris kind of open and adjust with the fader.