Sony A99 revealed with new video optimised full frame sensor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='tungah' timestamp='1347425186' post='17809']
Forget the A99.
The VG30 is looking goooooooooood! My next cam for sure!
The VG900 is a beast too! But too expensive for me to justify it for my needs...
Sony, I love you!
Suck it, Canon!
[/quote]

sony sucks in front of canon 5dmk3 90mbit Vs VG900 or A99 24mbit.

[quote name='sfrancis928' timestamp='1347423732' post='17807']
Sony's a99 product page:

"[color=#333333][font=arial][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]The a99 gives you the ability to record Full HD 1080 video at a spectrum of professional frame rates, including 60p, 60i and 24p. Plus, you can output uncompressed, clean-screen 60p/60i video files via HDMI to external recording devices[/background][/size][/font][/color][url="http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666485827"][sup]1[/sup][/url][color=#333333][font=arial][size=3][background=rgb(238, 238, 238)]."[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Don't know what his means yet. It would be nice if HDMI weren't only 8-bit. At this point, there's no reason for it, especially given the price, except to hobble it.

No mention on what the clean hdmi out is so I think it's not something they consider a selling point Even the interviewer doesn't ask the question which err everyone will want to know.

I wonder if it has crop modes and what they might be. That could be as interesting as a Nikon D4 without the soft focus. Especially if it sells for about £1000 and has 4.2.2 hdmi.

My guess is it's a three grand Sony money spinner with bells and whistles and not much else.

"For the first time ever, the A99 uses two sets of phase detect sensors. Some on the sensor itself and some above the SLT mirror. This should mean much more reliable AF tracking in video mode, and a smoother, more cinematic feel to this tracking."

This is not true. Those 102 On-sensor AF points do not get used in video mode.

Moire, aliasing... But my eyes are trained to look for that stuff, haha... Rainbow rocks, and moving horizontal lines. WIth the VG900 having the same sensor, would this still be a problem on a video specific camera? One of the features if I remember correctly on the spec sheet a couple of weeks ago had something to do with the pixels on the sensor?

-Photodiode expansion technology-

wtf is this doing?

[quote name='ssrdd' timestamp='1347450152' post='17827']
sony sucks in front of canon 5dmk3 90mbit Vs VG900 or A99 24mbit.
[/quote]

Different codecs and different compression technology.
Sony FS100 also has a 24mbit codec and it looks cleaner than the 5Dmk3.

[quote name='TC' timestamp='1347435778' post='17821']
Canon is dead. Sony has arrived.
[/quote]

There's too many people with way too much Canon glass and accessories. If Canon reacts in time, people will stick to them. Also, this has been said of Sony a few times, and then it always turned out their cameras had serious issues on the video side too, so let's wait for proper reviews before going crazy.

• Administrators
[quote name='Per Lichtman' timestamp='1347423336' post='17806']
That seems like it would remain to be seen. The 5DMkIII uses an SLR design - when it shooting video, the light transmission should be more effective than with a partially reflective mirror. Some of the previous Sony designs took an ISO hit because of this.

It would of course be great if it could match the 5DMkIII, but the assumption is not affirmed by the data so far. If the sensors seem equal, then the mirror-design could be a differentiating factor in terms of ISO performance, so the Sony sensor would seem to have to work harder to match the performance.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. :)
[/quote]

From initial samples it would appear you may be right :)

[size=4][b]VG-900[/b]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Sony has been for so many years so disconnected from the market but now after FS100/700 and then if:[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]1 - Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Metabones Smart Adapter works[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]2 - HDMI is not compressed [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]3 - Resolved detail in full hd is nice[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]This could be a killer...[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4]I so much enjoy the RX100 that has deeply changed my brand perception... so I could buy also this new camera...[/size]

• Administrators
There's must be something about engineering a full frame sensor that makes it impossible to do one that has proper 1080p and no moire. So far we seem to get aliasing and moire but proper resolution (D800) or no aliasing and moire but mushy detail (5D Mark III). Bullshit.

With this Sony I am not too hopeful from the early looks... But still very important not to pass judgement yet.

I have to say I had really really high hopes for this camera, but so far its really not that good. The Black Magic is looking great to me and sorry to say but even the 5D is looking kinda better since all 63 points work on whatever canon glass you want not just certain ones. I make money doing photos and now a little doing film. My dream of course is the RED but right now I will have to settle on either the 5D or the BlackMagic or mabye the A99 if it starts to show better IQ in Movie Mode.