ISO setting effects write speed - GH2

thescene

Guess should be an easy 'yes' but I recently got some 32gb Ultra SanDisk cards class 10 with 30mb write speed.

Before I was recording with the 32gb Extreme HD video card with 45mb write speed. No problems ever. Saw the Ultras on sale and bought them.

I've now seen that when recording with the Ultra sandisk the higher the ISO, the less I can record. ISO 800 and over I can only record a few seconds before I get the error message about the limitations on my cards write speed.

The 16gb Ultra card with 30mb write speed records fine for however long without problems.

Assuming the higher ISO is causing the camera to recieve more information. Is that the case?

I'm running the Unified hack provided from this site on my GH2. Just asking for clarification. Not all that technical. Also confused because the 32gb has a 30 write speed like my extreme, but seems to have problems. Any clarification/explination would be great. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
45mb/s is not enough you need a 95mb/s card ideally.

The noisier the image the more data is used to store it. A noisy image is a detailed one, more variation from pixel to pixel, not as many smooth areas of one colour, etc.

If you're using a hack which has crazy high bitrates then 70% of that bitrate is going to be used to store noise! Either try the faster card or try a lower bitrate in PTools like 60Mbit, it shouldn't affect image quality too much. My GH2 book tells you how to set individual parameter in PTools to make your own custom hack, it is pretty straight forward.