Top directors and cinematographers debunk the myth that filmmaking has to be difficult

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='thekgb' timestamp='1347068835' post='17574']
Isn't he the same guy who spent 500 million-ish making a 3D cartoon recently?

Cameron lives in his ego, not the real world.
[/quote]

That cartoon is the number one box office draw. I'd say he is more in the real world than anyone in this forum. That includes 'thekgb' who we all know from such boxoffice draws as "Jack Shit".

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][i][color=#0000ff]"Don't bother with Cameron. His obsession with technology and big budgets, at the expense of story is going to bury him with an[i]Intolerance[/i] like failure. "[/color][/i][/font]

Wow, the most delusional statement in this thread. Having no merit and based on nothing. Jump onto the Cameron bashing bandstand little nobody. The first director in over 50 years to tie Ben-Hur for Academy Awards, holds two of the greatest world wide box-office records. Yea, I don't think Cameron has to much to worry about. Luckily, most of the rest of the world doesn't agree with you and the like (small) minded. Those who can, DO, those who can't just have big mouths.
Wikkipedia "A [b]delusion[/b] is a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief"]belief[/url] held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary".

[quote name='antonmansa' timestamp='1347394957' post='17783']
[font=courier new,courier,monospace][i][color=#0000ff]"Don't bother with Cameron. His obsession with technology and big budgets, at the expense of story is going to bury him with an[i]Intolerance[/i] like failure. "[/color][/i][/font]

Wow, the most delusional statement in this thread. Having no merit and based on nothing. Jump onto the Cameron bashing bandstand little nobody. The first director in over 50 years to tie Ben-Hur for Academy Awards, holds two of the greatest world wide box-office records. Yea, I don't think Cameron has to much to worry about. Luckily, most of the rest of the world doesn't agree with you and the like (small) minded. Those who can, DO, those who can't just have big mouths.
Wikkipedia "A [b]delusion[/b] is a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief"]belief[/url] held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary".
[/quote]

In an interview Cameron once sketched the roadmap for future cinema, 3D, 4k, HFR. He said there was no need for any filmmaker to adapt all of these, or any. Because digital cinema allowed one projector to handle it all. Everything depended on the need of the story. And even with one film (referring to [i]Avatar[/i] then) the audience should be able to choose, i.e. 2D or 3D, analog or digital. It was 'like ordering at Starbuck's', he said.

The comparison is helpful. Cinema in the early years of the 21st century was suffering from a variety of maladies. Everyone who had insight in the economics acknowledged that 3D pushed digitalization tremendously, that digital cinema set higher standards for image quality, and that both, DC and 3D, were a blessing.[color=#ff0000]*[/color]

Like when people bought coffee machines that made better coffee than their little café. Starbuck's, the soulless chain, set higher standards.

The films of Cameron are not particularly original. The recipe is for blockbuster successes, and successful. What he says about filmmaking as a means of expressing yourself controversially, until the shit hits the fan, is nothing. He is not despicable, he is just too business-oriented to give any advice on 'setting your neurones on fire'. Typical for him, he uses this strong figure of speech only in the strictest pavlovian sense, kinesthetic impulses. Good for understanding how effects can trigger 'emotional' responses, but rather for Disneyworld than for me.

[quote]Luckily, most of the rest of the world doesn't agree with you and the like (small) minded. Those who can, DO, those who can't just have big mouths.[/quote]

I apologize for belonging to the minority who dares to 'bash' Cameron. I didn't know this forum was reserved for the big guys only. Now I stop bothering You, who DOES, and keep You from working on Your next blockbuster masterpiece.

[color=#ff0000]*EDIT: [/color]With DC, the [i]technical[/i] problems were solved temporarily. The problems of the dumb stories, the remakes, sequels and prequels and the overall superficiality were not only not solved, they were deepened. There [u]are[/u] very strong elements in [i]Terminator[/i], [i]Titanic[/i] and [i]Avatar[/i] (in the latter not the fashionable and pretentious civilization criticism, but the question which world is real, the world of the humans or the half-virtual world of the Na'vi[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]?). [/size][/font][/color]But is anything more hollow than the hype about watching a movie stereoscopically? Does it add to the [i]quality[/i] of the film?

The monoculture of modern mainstream cinema should not be a model for any of us. Or only if all you are interested in is financial profit. The big budget cinema is dead, revivals of old, 'established' concepts.